Cobb Intake Flutter

This is a discussion on Cobb Intake Flutter within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I just installed the Cobb intake and the box. I uploaded the new map and took it for ...

Cobb Intake Flutter

Hey all,

I just installed the Cobb intake and the box. I uploaded the new map and took it for a short drive to make sure everything was okay. I noticed that under medium throttle just going up to 3000 rpm once I left off to shift I here a fluttering sound. Is that normal? I searched around and have heard people say it could be compressor surge. Any insight would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any one have ideas of what this could be?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If it's during your shift you could be mistaken it for the BOV valve doing it's job. Or you could indeed have some compressor surge, in which case the pressure is not being released properly and flowing reverse into the turbo. If it's during shifts then you can probly rule out wastegate flutter.

How to tell the difference between wastegate flutter and compressor surge?

I have limited experience with this. I'd get Cobb on the phone. I'm sure someone else will chime in here shortly, it's slower around here on the weekends.

Thanks for posting that link. It's only during shifts, not when I'm building boost so that leads me to believe it would not be the wastegate. I was thinking it could be the BPV however the sound is coming from the right side of the engine compartment. As long as I shift in the 2500-2800 rpm range I don't hear it but if I shift above 3000k I hear the flutter sound

Well I figured out why it was fluttering, my GFB bov (set to full recirculating) was causing the issue. Once I replaced it with the stock BPV it stopped fluttering...although now I have an innerly different issue.....one of the bolts snapped on the BPV so one side is bolted down and the other has threading stuck in the intercooler... I'm so pissed

Can you grab the threading with a needle nose by any chance?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Can you grab the threading with a needle nose by any chance?
    I did, luckily it was sticking out just enough for me to grab it. All good now!