Subaru WRX Forum banner

Sheared TMIC bolt help

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SrCain 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2011 wrx with a stage one tune from TP. I noticed a high pitched whine while driving on the highway the other day, upon some research I discovered that maybe the problem was a loose TB hose from my IC. I tightened up the IC side which was loose, went for a drive and though better the sound was still there. So I decided to take off my IC and tighten the other side. My IC has never been taken off before. My problem is one of the bolts on the turbo side sheared off. Im pissed. All other bolts came off no problem. Now I have half a bolt in my turbo with no head on it. Any suggestions as to the best way to deal with this problem? Thx.

#3 ·
Remove turbine inlet, clean, re-install. Easier said than done. At least it gives you a chance to clean out the entire intake tract, something nearly no-one does by the age your car has reached unless they are very enthusiastic owners/drivers or have modified their car. It isn't just the big chunk of bolt, the shavings are no good either, hopefully they passed innocently, or have not moved if there is/are any of that, but my first sentence is how I'd handle that... How an IC mounting bolt managed to work it's way in there is sort of mysterious.

Next is to use an 'eazy-out' bit and a drill with variable speed and reverse. Get the old bolt out, then you should be OK, hopefully no need to clean the threads. If you CAN take the compressor out (meaning you are adept with this sort of work) I'd also clean that to a nice shine. It isn't necessary, but if you plan to work for hours on the engine, why not?

#5 ·
So I decided to take off my IC and tighten the other side. My IC has never been taken off before. My problem is one of the bolts on the turbo side sheared off. Im pissed. All other bolts came off no problem. Now I have half a bolt in my turbo with no head on it.
Can you get a decent picture? The words you used about taking your IC off are not matching the the bolt you are saying sheared. I have some advice on sheared bolt removal, but I need a better diagnosis first before I just throw out some advice. Just don't get angry or anything, not the end of the world - let me tell you, I'm 56 and I've been wrenching on cars since 13, so yeah I've sheared a few bolts in my days. Exhaust and turbo bolts are nasty, but doable even if we go moto tool and diamond bit.

#7 ·
I haven't taken a pic yet and now Im on holidays. Anyhow, the bolt that broke is one of the two that connect my IC to the turbo. The head broke off. The threads of the bolt are still in the turbo flange. No problem though I believe Ill be able to get it out with an easy out kit. Ill just have to find a new bolt, Im sure my dealership prob has them at $50 or something crazy lol. Thx for the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.