Going stage 2 Questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Going stage 2 Questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I'm thinking about going stage 2 on my new 2014 WRX Limited Hatchback for the sound and preformance. ...

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar

Going stage 2 Questions

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking about going stage 2 on my new 2014 WRX Limited Hatchback for the sound and preformance. It is used primarily as my daily driver (80miles a day for work round trip). I am new to preformance mods requiring tuning so any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have about 2,000 miles on her already and have been researching online a lot about different parts and I just want to double check to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

Here is what I have in mind:
    Invidia catted downpipe
    Invidia Q300 cat back
    Cobb SF shortram intake
    Cobb Accessport

Are these all compatible as far as install and tune?
    Any advice regarding these parts?
    Does this modification reduce the reliability of the car? Since it will void my warranty this is a biggie.

And I see constant debate between the OTS tunes vs pro tunes and to be honest Idk if I trust any shop around me to properly dyno my car so that's my main reason why I'm leaning toward Cobb AP and that it is supposedly user friendly.

I am sure most of this has been covered before and I have honestly searched for days online and haven't been entirely satisfied so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Hatch DGM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes those are the parts you need for stage2. You actually only need the downpipe but everything else will work. I def suggest getting a protune. My buddy just went stage 2 in his 14 wrx with the exact same mods and he was overboosting like crazy and his afr was way off even on lwg maps.
    He ended up getting a protune at efi and everything is running great now.

Yes they are all compatible, I am getting the same, but catless and stock catback.
    Those are the bare essentials for cobbs stg 2 tune. Things you may want to consider would be things to decrease heat soak. Turbo blanket, heat shield, DEI reflective tape, and wrapping the DP.
    I'm adding a DW 65c fuel pump as a precaution, some cars can lose power up top because the stock fuel pump can't keep up.

Yes these mods decrease reliability, but it also depends on your driving habits, and your routine maintenance. Pay to play.
    Contact Eric at torqued performance if you don't want a pro tune. He is phenomenal and gives you maps directly on your AP. I have his stg 1 right now, and it feels way better than cobbs stg 1. Going stage 2 in 2 weeks: )
    Yes it has been covered and I'm sure you'll hear it, but I''ve only had my wrx for 2 months, so maybe a veteran can chime in. Go stage 2 and don't look back! Good luck

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

not sure where you are located in NY but there are at least 3 HIGHLY respected shops i can think of that are subaru specific. EFI Logics (CT), Kaizen (MA), Innovative Tuning (NY)

they're all compatible with the AP. the Cobb SF is an oiled filter (vs dry like AEM) so it requires a little more finesse cleaning and re-oiling it (not over oiling). if you just want the noise addition with some performance you could just go stage 1 + intake + catback. if your bringing your car to the dealership for maintenance they may say something to you about the downpipe if you go stage 2, or about any part you install.

does it reduce the reliability? yes, any mod will reduce the reliability. it's even more vital you follow scheduled maintenance and good practices (no racing the engine until the engine is up to temp and more importantly the oil), no launching the car, running the right oil, cleaning intake, logging to make sure everything is fine).

pay to play, i know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's the truth

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    Yes those are the parts you need for stage2. You actually only need the downpipe but everything else will work. I def suggest getting a protune. My buddy just went stage 2 in his 14 wrx with the exact same mods and he was overboosting like crazy and his afr was way off even on lwg maps.
    He ended up getting a protune at efi and everything is running great now.
    Thanks for the quick response. That is exactly what I was worried about. I thought the maps are meant for this setup so is that rare or is that something that is happening from everyone who gets the Cobb AP?
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

The cobb ots tunes aren't specifically made for your car like a protune would be. And I'm sure the weather was part of the reason he was overboosting since its been real cold.

more likely to happen with catless downpipes, it's not uncommon. some cars have the problem, some don't.

Yea his intake was a factor too because he took it off before he went for his protune and he wasn't overboosting as bad with just the catted downpipe and ots tune.

This might be a dumb question...
    If I go with a pro tune, can it be saved on a Cobb AP and flashed/unflashed? Is the Cobb AP even needed for a protune?

I only ask because I would be removing the mods and flashing to stock if needed to bring.it to the dealer.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Read up on warranty faq. Dealer can detect foul play with your ecu. .."stock" or not.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The AP is just hardware, of course it can store a tune. You just have to ask the tuner if they are capable of tuning with it. There are other tuning methods out there, just know that the Cobb AP, if you get a pro-tune, will probly be the most expensive route. What method/hardware you choose is mostly preference, or whatever the tuner prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Read up on warranty faq. Dealer can detect foul play with your ecu. .."stock" or not.

Yea I read up on that.from my understanding they won't be able to tell what was done to the car. They will only be able to see how many times it was flashed. Still a decent leg to stand on for argument sake.
    1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

But you said your going stage 2? They will beable to tell that the dp and intake bolts were all tampered with.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^this, I suspect the downpipe bolts will give it away

I Support ClubWRX
    I would say don't get a protune until your done with performance mods. Once you get a protune than add more performance parts your going to need a retune and the tuner will probably charge you a retune fee. I say stick with cobbs ots map or use Eric's maps. Just my two cents.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.