How to drive a turbo - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on How to drive a turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Rambo Do you have a link to the Legacy GT you're looking at? Buying a modified Subaru ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Do you have a link to the Legacy GT you're looking at? Buying a modified Subaru is typically a bad idea, especially if you're working with a budget.
    http://www.hdmotorstn.com/mobile/mde...?VID=184616958

http://www.hdmotorstn.com/mobile/mde...?VID=225022365

Here you go man, the first link is the 05 and the second link is the 02

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks man, I'll look into those, I definitely didn't realize about the premium fuel, not that I would've cared too much but I imagine it would've been bad if I would've bought it and been filling up with mid grade or regular

Using Tapatalk

Lol btw the car actually looks a lot nicer in the pictures than in person,

Using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 SUBARU LEGACY GT LIMITED - PERFECT CARFAX WITH A PLUS + $550.00 ABOVE RETAIL VALUE!!!! 2.5LITRE TURBOCHARGED WITH MOD'S - 5SPEED TRANSMISSION - ALL WHEEL DRIVE - SUNROOF - HEATED POWER LEATHER SEATS - AM/FM CD CHANGER - CRUISE CONTROL - ALL THE POWER ADD'S , WINDOWS , MIRRORS , DOOR LOCKS WITH KEYLESS ENTRY - ALUMINUM SHIFT KNOB - TINTED WINDOWS - REAR SPOILER & HOOD SCOOP - FOG LITES - ALLOY WHEELS - JUST INSTALLED NEW TIRES - BRAND NEW FRONT ROTORS JUST INSTALLED - ALL BLACKED OUT & LOOKIN MEAN!! A REAL STREET TUNER RIDE!!! A.V.O. TURBOWORLD COLD AIR INTAKE - A.V.O. TURBOWORLD BLOWOFF VALVE - PERFORMANCE EXHAUST - WHEN WE SAY FAST , WE MEAN IT!!! FOR REAL , 60M.P.H IN TOP OF 2ND GEAR & 80M.P.H. IN THE TOP OF 3RD GEAR!! A REAL REAL FAST LIL ALL WHEEL DRIVE ROCKET!!! NO TEST DRIVES TILL THE DEAL IS DONE!! THE OWNER WILL TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE CAUSE ITS QUICK!!! BETTER HURRY , YOU CANT BUY ONE & MOD IT FOR THIS PRICE!!
    HD MOTORS , WE'RE MAKING DEAL'S YOU WON'T BELIEVE!!!!
    "No test drives till the deal is done". Run away. Plus, the asking price is high for 130k LGT.

I seriously doubt that intake was tuned for, and from the description it sounds like the owner and staff have been driving the **** out of it. Stay away.

The 2002 looks ok, high miles, but appears clean. Here's a checklist for inspecting a used Subaru to buy:
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok now we are getting somewhere, Its hard to tell from those pictures if it has been modded or not. At least from what I can see.

There really isn't too much more to a forced induction engine, in terms of just driving it (other than how and when it lays power down), than there is a N/A engine. More meticulous care comes with modding.

If any advice were to come from us about buying any used turbo charged car, is to try to avoid one that has been modded at all costs. You don't want to buy someone else's problem. In that scenario you have absolutely no idea what all the previous owner has done to the car and if what they did was done correctly or just jerry rigged.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    "No test drives till the deal is done". Run away. Plus, the asking price is high for 130k LGT.

I seriously doubt that intake was tuned for, and from the description it sounds like the owner and staff have been driving the **** out of it. Stay away.

The 2002 looks ok, high miles, but appears clean. Here's a checklist for inspecting a used Subaru to buy:
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    Also, they said lil...

Yeah this car seems to be a big red flag for me too now that I read the description. Run away like a mouse runs away from a cat.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Actually the owner of the lot told me he's been driving it for the past year but I didn't think too much of it since I know a lot of dealers drive the cars they have on the lot, and yeah I wasn't too fond of the no test drive part either but I imagined it was because he was fond of the car and thought someone test driving it was going to hurt it in some way,
    The more you tell me about owning a turbo the more I realize maybe it's not for me just yet, that 02 is supposed to have around 170 HP (I think ours the same for that vw) and that's great for me, the 05 apparently has 250 and that's really what made me want it but I really don't need that much, as far as that 02 Subaru, or the Volkswagen also, is there any reason that sometime in the future I wouldn't be able to add a turbo to it, again lack of knowledge, lol sorry

Using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Adding a turbo to a car that was not built from the factory is awfully expensive to do properly. And I see no reason why you can't get a factory turbo charged car right now. I think you are making a little bit of a bigger deal out of it than it actually is. So long as you follow Rambo's advice about purchasing a used turbo charged Subaru (and I would even take that advice for any used car) you should be fine.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    If you can't test drive a car, don't buy it.

If you can't afford to maintain, operate, and insure a car, don't buy it.

If you want a reliable car, don't buy a modified car.

If you want a turbo car, get one delivered that way from the factory. Subaru is better at building Subarus than anyone else.

Do what Rambo said.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If you can't test drive a car, don't buy it.

If you can't afford to maintain, operate, and insure a car, don't buy it.

If you want a reliable car, don't buy a modified car.

If you want a turbo car, get one delivered that way from the factory. Subaru is better at building Subarus than anyone else.

Do what Rambo said.
    Makes a lot of sense, I noticed they both had a 2.5l engine but I didn't know if they were built the same, I imagine if they're both the 2.5 and both built by Subaru and both the same trim, legacy gt limited, they're at least similar, I mean just from looking at the car it seems the only difference is one has a turbo, but I of course can't see in the engine to know if they actually are identical or not, which if they were identical, other than a new/remapped ecu it should be ok to add a turbo, right?

Using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTen91 View Post
    Makes a lot of sense, I noticed they both had a 2.5l engine but I didn't know if they were built the same, I imagine if they're both the 2.5 and both built by Subaru and both the same trim, legacy gt limited, they're at least similar, I mean just from looking at the car it seems the only difference is one has a turbo, but I of course can't see in the engine to know if they actually are identical or not, which if they were identical, other than a new/remapped ecu it should be ok to add a turbo, right?

You're grossly underestimating the work required to properly install a turbocharger. Off the top of my head: new headers, intake, intercooler, oil lines, coolant lines, full exhaust, all boost control pneumatics, and probably a standalone ECU. I'm not sure the ECU in the EJ251 (which is SOHC, as opposed to DOHC in the turbo models) could handle it. That's not even touching on the internals like stronger valves, connecting rods, etc.

If you wanted a turbo at a later date, it would be easiest to just buy a bugeye WRX in the first place. They can easily be had in the price ranges you're looking at.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

You're grossly underestimating the work required to properly install a turbocharger. Off the top of my head: new headers, intake, intercooler, oil lines, coolant lines, full exhaust, all boost control pneumatics, and probably a standalone ECU. I'm not sure the ECU in the EJ251 (which is SOHC, as opposed to DOHC in the turbo models) could handle it. That's not even touching on the internals like stronger valves, connecting rods, etc.

If you wanted a turbo at a later date, it would be easiest to just buy a bugeye WRX in the first place. They can easily be had in the price ranges you're looking at.
    So you're saying just keep looking for now

Using Tapatalk

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I think what everyone is saying is just keep reading for now. Go to the library and check out a few books on forced induction if you have to. There are countless articles linked in this forum and great write-ups that can all contribute to your understanding. You just need to relax and read around more.

If you follow the used buying checklist that Rambo posted and pick up a car using those guidelines then you shouldn't have trouble. I learn something new every time I work on my car. I'm not exactly sure how ignorant you are, but if you have done as much work on motors as you say you have, it shouldn't be a problem for you to pick up on how it all works.

But like has been said, proceed calmly to the stickies, info articles, and FAQ's.

And no, even though they are both a 2.5L Subaru boxer, they are not the same engine at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTen91 View Post
    I mean just from looking at the car it seems the only difference is one has a turbo, but I of course can't see in the engine to know if they actually are identical or not, which if they were identical, other than a new/remapped ecu it should be ok to add a turbo, right?

No.

There is no such thing as "adding" a turbo.

I don't think we've succeeded in communicating. I think we are talking across purposes.

You cannot "add" a turbo. There's more to it. How much more? Enough where if you have to ask, you can't do it, and if you don't have to ask, you won't do it.

Pick a Subaru you like, or any other car, and plan to keep it as is. Again, Subaru is better at making Subarus. Luckily they make lots and they don't want them -- that's why they sell them.

Buy the unmodified car you want from the beginning and plan to keep it that way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.