Whose got a stage 1 protune
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whose got a stage 1 protune within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to get an apv3 and going to efi and getting a stage 1 protune. Not planning on going ...

Whose got a stage 1 protune

I'm looking to get an apv3 and going to efi and getting a stage 1 protune. Not planning on going stage 2 with my car. I've seen some real nice gains with a protune stage 1. Looks like it adds around 30-40 whp/tq over a stock baseline. Anyone on here have any baseline and stage 1 dyno sheets?
    Efi said baseline on there dyno is around 220whp and I would expect to be around 260whp

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not pay full rip for a S1 tune on a dyno. A street tune is perfectly sufficient. I had my street tune done by a top NW tuner for $100 back in the day.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So you want to spend $600 on an AP...and then have a Protune done at another $400 plus at EFI for just Stage 1?

Seems legit.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I'm pretty sure efi only tunes using the ap. and I have been seeing 20+ hp gains over the ots maps.

If I go I'm going to ask them to do a stock baseline, ots baseline and final tune to see the performance.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can do stage II with a cat & opensource etune for that money. Instead of some pretty plots you will have a proper sports car in the making.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I'm not going to do stage 2 cuz I will most likely sell the car next year.

..why no Stage 2?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    I'm not going to do stage 2 cuz I will most likely sell the car next year.
    Then why spend $1000 for minimal gains and then sell it?
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Eh the more parts you add the less reliable. And ill be satisfied with just a tune to get rid of this stock one.
    And when I go to sell the car in a year or so people will like the fact it was never modded.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    Then why spend $1000 for minimal gains and then sell it?
    Because the stock tune is ass and doesn't give me any enjoyment when going wot. And I could sell the cobb next year for around $500 anyways.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx
    Eh the more parts you add the less reliable. And ill be satisfied with just a tune to get rid of this stock one.
    And when I go to sell the car in a year or so people will like the fact it was never modded.
    You're planning on tuning the vehicle...that's modifying it
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Do what you feel like doing. In the end, it is your car not ours. All we can do in weigh in our thoughts but IMO a stage 1 pro tune is not worth the extra money, especially if you are going to up and sell soon... You are much better off using Cobb's OTS Stage 1 map or if you really wanted a pro tune go open source and get an E-tune. It's not worth the money for the minimal gains you will receive, unless you plan to do more modding in the future, but even that still doesn't justify a dyno tune on an AP at stage 1....
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Well idk ill keep researching it . Maybe ill just get better coils instead of doing any engine mods .

I Support ClubWRX
    Also, let me add that I don't think it's right for people to call the stock tune "junk". If it was "junk" why would Subaru spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on R&D and hire engine management professionals to make a stock map that was worthless... The stock tune is there for a reason, if not then why not have a less conservative map loaded on the ECU from the get go? It's most likely for reliability, engine longevity and for emissions regulations.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.