Whose got a stage 1 protune - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42

This is a discussion on Whose got a stage 1 protune within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thank you for the information. Originally Posted by Mikie13 Get a Wideband gauge and a boost gauge. Run data logs. ...

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    94
    Thank you for the information.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Get a Wideband gauge and a boost gauge. Run data logs. Eff bishes. Profit.

    While a Cobb AP Stage 1 increases performance levels to an otherwise stock car, it also is still pretty watered down. It was created to be "safe" for most any car out there pending the map notes are followed.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    117
    If you are not going to keep the car for more than another year but want to enjoy for the next year why not just start with the Cobb AP and use the Cobb maps to start? You will be out minimal cash if you sell the AP and you should still notice a bump in power and response. If you start there and still want more than look into a pro tune.

  4. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    277
    Idk how much I really trust base map tunes even if it is just running stage 1 ots. I like knowing that the tune I have is meant for my car.

  5. #34
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,212
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    Idk how much I really trust base map tunes even if it is just running stage 1 ots. I like knowing that the tune I have is meant for my car.
    You can see whether the tune is working on the car conclusively by doing a log.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  6. #35
    Registered User tesla317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    293
    Waste of money. It's pointless to try to squeeze as much power out of a stock car as possible. The only time you will see real benefits is with stage 2.

    I am on stage 1 with cobb. It was an improvement, mainly with the power delivery. However, is it with the $650 I paid?? Honestly no...but my plans are stage 2. Sadly I just don't have the kind of money to go stage 2 anytime soon

    Finally, consider this. When you change the tune on your, you may notice a difference. But over time, you adjust...and that difference is no longer noticed. Paying that much for a protune over cobb will equal miniscule differences in the end. Everytime you get behind the wheel You probably won't say, " OMG! I'm so glad I protuned over cobb!!!". When I first got my wrx, I have a 99 Ford Taurus lol, I was like OMG this is fast!!! Now, it's just normal. I crave the stage 2 power. Which in all honesty, I would want stage 3 once I became accustomed to stage 2.

    If you are wanting to enjoy the car for only a year and are so worried about power and delivery...sounds like you're gonna be driving that car pretty hard while you have it. Otherwise stock/cobb would be completely sufficient. Seriously, you'll only have it a year. I wish I could throw money like that, especially on a stage 1 protune... which is pretty much pointless. No offense, but I wouldn't want to be the second owner...
    Last edited by tesla317; 03-10-2014 at 12:01 AM.

  7. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    277
    I don't drive my car hard at all. I just like knowing I have the power if I need it. I saw a dyno from efi where a wrx stage 1 protune . He netted 275whp and 310 tq. My buddy just got stage 2 protune done there and got 289 whp 320tq. So is a 4-500 downpipe really worth the 13 whp or 10lb tq? I personally don't think it is.
    And yes I know all cars are different and I may see different results.

    The reason I drive my car so damn slow and never boost is because it's so much slower than my last car and doesn't really give me any enjoyment.

  8. #37
    Registered User LENSPEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    I don't drive my car hard at all. I just like knowing I have the power if I need it. I saw a dyno from efi where a wrx stage 1 protune . He netted 275whp and 310 tq. My buddy just got stage 2 protune done there and got 289 whp 320tq. So is a 4-500 downpipe really worth the 13 whp or 10lb tq? I personally don't think it is.
    And yes I know all cars are different and I may see different results.

    The reason I drive my car so damn slow and never boost is because it's so much slower than my last car and doesn't really give me any enjoyment.
    So why the hell are you here? If this car is slower than your last, and doesn't give you any enjoyment, what makes you think a protune at stage 1 will net you earth shattering speed???
    If you plan to sell the car in a year, don't mod it. It's not going to get "more enjoyable" from a stage 1 protune. You are not gonna convince anyone that doing a protune stage 1 over an OTS stage1 will be worth the money. Until someone proves me otherwise, this thread leads the list of worthless threads in 2014...

  9. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by LENSPEC View Post
    So why the hell are you here? If this car is slower than your last, and doesn't give you any enjoyment, what makes you think a protune at stage 1 will net you earth shattering speed???
    If you plan to sell the car in a year, don't mod it. It's not going to get "more enjoyable" from a stage 1 protune. You are not gonna convince anyone that doing a protune stage 1 over an OTS stage1 will be worth the money. Until someone proves me otherwise, this thread leads the list of worthless threads in 2014...
    My Stage 1 tune at EFI Logics - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    Seems like that would be much more enjoyable than a stock wrx which usually baselines around 220whp on there mustang dyno. I'm not here to argue with anyone. I bought this car because I live in nnj and it snows so I needed an awd car. I'm planning on moving south next year and when I do I have no need for awd and want to buy an 04 cobra or 03 z06 because that's what I really wanted. If I end up not moving then yes I may end up getting a downpipe next year with a follow up of a retune and keeping the car long term.

  10. #39
    Registered User AFP520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by LENSPEC View Post
    You are not gonna convince anyone that doing a protune stage 1 over an OTS stage1 will be worth the money. Until someone proves me otherwise, this thread leads the list of worthless threads in 2014...
    Maybe not a pro-tune, but I intend on getting e-tune myself. The OTS shelf is a great improvement but I am getting some knock that needs to be fixed.
    '14 SWP STI

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    277
    Exactly, I see ots tunes as a temporary tune to get you to either a protune or etune.

  12. #41
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,764
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx
    I don't drive my car hard at all. I just like knowing I have the power if I need it. I saw a dyno from efi where a wrx stage 1 protune . He netted 275whp and 310 tq. My buddy just got stage 2 protune done there and got 289 whp 320tq. So is a 4-500 downpipe really worth the 13 whp or 10lb tq? I personally don't think it is.
    Peak numbers are only part of the equation:
    Dyno FAQ
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  13. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    277
    Yea I know there only part of it. But efi told me that there stock baselines are around 220-230 peak. So an increase of 40-45 peak is pretty impressive for just a tune IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •