Can someone teach me about turbo's?

This is a discussion on Can someone teach me about turbo's? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I wanna learn about turbos. And I'm not talking about how they work I pretty much know everything about ...

Can someone teach me about turbo's?

So I wanna learn about turbos. And I'm not talking about how they work I pretty much know everything about that already. I just always hear people saying "60mm" and "20g" and "T3" and all that, and I want to know what all that means. Can someone please explain it to me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    60mm can be the turbine wheel or compressor wheel. It's usually the compressor wheel. (Probably because that's the bigger number).

The names (20g, t3, gt3076, 1.5xtr) are a little trickier.

15T, 16g, 18g, 20g is a Mitsubishi pattern turbo, but some turbos don't fit that pattern but are similar sizes so the companies adopted that nomenclature.

GTxxxx (ie gt3076) stands for "Garret Turbo". Then the next two numbers are the frame size, and then the compressor size.

T3 is a turbonetics model number, which is used by a few manufacturers.

1.5xt-r is a blouch model number (one that I'm partial to ). Blouch uses a few numbering systems besides their own.

Keep in mind that in most turbo names an X indicates an upgraded compressor wheel. Billet, 5 angle CNC usually.

All turbo manufacturers are interchangeable, but the housing bolts, and the angle of the compressor outlet to exhaust inlet is specific to application. You must find the frame that fits the vehicle you're working on unless you want to do some custom fabrication.

Hope I helped.
    Kevin
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are looking for a little more detail check this link out Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    If you are looking for a little more detail check this link out Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC
    This, but also this: Subaru Turbo List - NASIOC

the first one is about Turbo's in general, the one I posted is a list of all turbos (little out dated), but it gets an idea of what turbo can produce what power so you can judge what size and model for a given power you want.

ALWAYS, do your research though before buying...get everything you need and a tune. Just cause I want a Blouch td04-16g doesnt mean I can run factory injectors/fuel pump/TMIC on my 2004 WRX. same housing as the factory td04, but different compressor and airflow.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great info fellas!

Manny, are you looking at upgrading your turbo?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately, there is not a lot of standardization between turbo manufacturers. Many choose to use terms that others will not adopt. Here are the basic measurements:

Inducer diameter -- The diameter of the inner-most fins compared to the CHRA center

Exducer diameter -- The diameter of the outer-most fins compared to the CHRA center

Trim -- Ratio of the inducer diameter to the exducer diameter (inducer:exducer) on a specific wheel. Turbos have both compressors and turbines, so each turbo will have two trims.

A/R or A:R -- this is the ratio of the cross-sectional area of the turbine/compressor compared to the radius of the exducer of the respective wheel.

Exhaust housing cross-sectional area -- This refers to the cross-sectional area calculated in the A/R, and is usually expressed as 6 cm^2, 7 cm^2, 9 cm^2, etc.

Many of these terms can be cross-utilized to describe turbos and back-calculated. For example, a GT2871R may be offered in 7cm^2 and 9cm^2 which changes the respective A/R, but not the trim of the turbo. A/R may instead be specified for a specific turbo, and given the trim and exducer diameter, the housing area may be calculated. In the case of the GT2871R, this is a Garrett ambiguation meaning a GT28 wheel with a 71cm hotside exducer.

MHI terms their turbos "TD05-18G" or "TD06-20G" or the like. The TD04 is an exhaust housing (usually 6cm^2) while the TD05 is 7cm^2 and the TD06 is 8cm^2 IIRC. The 18G or 20G refers to a specific compressor and turbine combination manufactured by MHI. Others, like Blouch, have taken this a step further adding terms like "XT" to stand for their billet wheel and XTR for billet wheel + ball bearing CHRA. Garrett now produces a GTX wheel that is also billet and assumes a slightly different design.

So as you can see, it's not so simple to compare turbos apples-to-apples. You have to keep this all in mind when selecting a turbo. In general, a turbo with a large A/R will improve the VE of the motor (higher power ceiling) at the expense of slower spool. The effect should also be considered when selecting the trim of the turbo. Finally, the total size of the exducer should be considered -- a larger compressor will flow more air. However, if the compressor is too large and not matched by a large turbine, the motor will have a difficult time producing power.

EDIT: I also used to reference this chart, as it contains relevant information about my TD05H-18G
    http://www.ztechz.net/id1.html

To add this in as well: even comparing two similar turbos with similar trim, A/R, and exducer diameter may not be enough to compare the output when mounted on a motor. The compressor maps are also highly contingent on wheel design. For example, a TD05H-18G will flow about the same as a TD05H-16GXT due to the much higher efficiency of the billet wheel in the 16GXT. In some cases, the 16GXT will produce more power thanks to the XT wheel's reduced post-turbo compressor temps. By simply reading the trims, A/R and wheel diameters, one may conclude that the 18G wheel has a much higher output, but this is not the case. So, in conclusion, if you want to know what turbo to choose for your car, I'd ALWAYS reference the compressor maps whenever possible (in IHI's case, not possible).
    Last edited by zax; 03-03-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Cool thread and great info. I honestly never bothered to really look up half that stuff myself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thx for the Info everyone

No I just wanted to learn. I don't even have a car yet. My last WRX was flipped in a ditch by one of my friends