E85 VS HELLA EXPENSIVE 91

This is a discussion on E85 VS HELLA EXPENSIVE 91 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm thinking about going to E85 conversion cuz 91 octane is getting WAY to expensive here. Currently it is .75 ...

E85 VS HELLA EXPENSIVE 91

I'm thinking about going to E85 conversion cuz 91 octane is getting WAY to expensive here. Currently it is $3.75 a gallon and I wouldn't be surprised if it was to be over $4.00 a gallon when summer hits us. I was just wondering if E85 would be saving me any money really? Currently E85 prices in my area are $2.89 a gallon so right there I'm saving over a $1.00 a gallon I know E85 sucks it down quicker but mathematically wouldn't I be saving a little money over 91?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lol it's already $4.15 in southern California. I'm pretty sure it's more expensive in L.A.

Well obviously lol. I don't doubt that for a second. $3.75 is expensive here tho.

Yeah sorry I didn't answer your question but I'm sure it'll save and all add up eventually.

I Support ClubWRX
    For E85 you will need at a minium 800-1000cc injectors,upgradede fuel pump and an ECU retune. Your MPG's will be less with E85 as it requires more fuel per burn cycle to reach it's stoichometric ratio.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    If you drive your car like a grandma on e85 at that price vs. drive your car like a bat out of hell on the gas, then you will save money on the e85.

Then driving like a grandma on gas would probably be cheaper

Your MPGs will go down significantly, meaning you will have to fill up more. So, your cost savings would probably be negated.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Your MPGs will go down significantly, meaning you will have to fill up more. So, your cost savings would probably be negated.
    Plus all the upfront costs of injectors, fuel pump, and tune. I'm sure in the very long term it would start to save money (like 10+ years), but you'd probably have sold the car by that point.

$3.85/gal isn't that expensive.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage
    I'm thinking about going to E85 conversion cuz 91 octane is getting WAY to expensive here. Currently it is $3.75 a gallon and I wouldn't be surprised if it was to be over $4.00 a gallon when summer hits us. I was just wondering if E85 would be saving me any money really? Currently E85 prices in my area are $2.89 a gallon so right there I'm saving over a $1.00 a gallon I know E85 sucks it down quicker but mathematically wouldn't I be saving a little money over 91?
    I filled up @ $4.30/gallon this week...

The other thing you need to consider is that not all E85 is the same. Winter-blend E85 tends to be closer to E70 here. E85 isn't readily available where I'm at, and if I ever made the conversion, I would want an ethanol content analyzer (Zeitronix makes one), so I was aware of what I was getting. That would be beneficial both to notify you of the quality of E gas you got, but also when you switched between pump and E (since there will likely be residual fuel left over, unless you drain the tank manually and keep a supply at home to get you to the gas station to complete the fillup).

Back to your original question, once you got over the initial cost investment of hardware/software required to run E85, at those prices, it should be about equal in terms of operational fuel costs.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Try buying gas here in NZ if you think US$4.00/Gal is expensive.

Here is about NZ$2.30/L. Which is about NZ$9.20/Gal. That makes it about US$7.70/Gal.

It costs me around NZ$120 every 2 weeks in gas.

Damn I could buy 112 oct for like $9-14 a gallon.

NZ$2.30 is for 98RON (106-108MON).

NZ$2.20 for 95RON (103-105MON)

NZ$2.15 for 91RON (99-101MON)

We use RON, I think you guys in the US use MON?