where to start with performance mods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on where to start with performance mods within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, my wrx is stock with the exception of a stereo system. Looks like after my tax refund I'm going ...

I Support ClubWRX

where to start with performance mods

So, my wrx is stock with the exception of a stereo system. Looks like after my tax refund I'm going to have about $1000 to spend. I'm wanting to do some performance mods, in the area of power. What would you do with $1000 to get the most bang for the buck if you were starting from stock?
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would go with an accessport, a catback exhaust and tune the car to stage 1. If you can get a used unmarrried accessport and save money then get a turbo back exhaust. Get some decent power gains, a good tune, and some rumble.

I Support ClubWRX
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

Lots of info in here if you haven't read it. Do you have an ultimate goal in mind? That will have a lot to do with what you start doing. Often times if you have an ultimate goal in mind your first mods might not be extremely exciting, but will be better for the overall build when all is said and done (suspension, bushings, etc).

Might also think about the tuning route you want to go...COBB AP, or opensource (with tactrix).

On a side note, let's see some pics of the rubicon!

I Support ClubWRX
    my ultimate goal is to make the car as close to equal to an STI as possible. so, 300hp would be nice. But not looking to race it or anything, and not looking for extreme stuff. I'll check out those threads....and i'll post some jeep pics for ya!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    my ultimate goal is to make the car as close to equal to an STI as possible. so, 300hp would be nice. But not looking to race it or anything, and not looking for extreme stuff. I'll check out those threads....and i'll post some jeep pics for ya!
    Ok, then the power difference is not a huge factor...If you want the WRX to be equal to an STi you need to focus on the suspension, shifting, and brakes. As already suggested, you could do a new tune and be close to or above the STi power. I would probably go opensource tune from WTF tuning (vendor on here), and then get some swaybars and end links, and maybe upgrade the brake pads/lines/and fluid. I would also highly recommend shifter bushings and a short throw at the least. That will probably put you over your budget, but if you do the work yourself not too bad, and you can do things in stages. I might start with the bushings, the tune, and maybe the swaybars.

I Support ClubWRX
    after i got my new shoes

Most current, except for the winch I added a couple months ago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome truck! I am jealous, looks fun!

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks. i've owned that jeep longer than any other vehicle which says a lot if you know me lol.

i've thought bout the suspension stuff, but was going to focus on the power first cuz it's fun haha. i read through those threads. it's really too much info for me to comprehend at this time. i'll read it again. but i'm not one for the technical jargon. i'm a musician.

A cobb accessport, downpipe and catback and a nice tune will get you pretty close to stock STi power.

I Support ClubWRX
    i'm sure it would hawk, but i'm looking at $1000 bucks. from what i've seen, that's well over 2 grand. so what first? or can that stuff even be done without the rest?

I would definitely get an access port. Get a v2 it's cheaper then the v3 and the only real difference is the screen size and clarity. Then get a down pipe to start.

ur car already has the same amount of power as a stock sti

Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    ur car already has the same amount of power as a stock sti
    Did i miss something?

newer wrx and sti have the same whp stock. they just put 300hp on paper to make it look like its quicker. look on cobbs website they have stock dyno graphs to proove it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast