No muffler ticket
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on No muffler ticket within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a 2011 wrx with a nameless axelback muffler delete. yesterday i pulled up to a light ...

No muffler ticket

Hey guys, I have a 2011 wrx with a nameless axelback muffler delete. yesterday i pulled up to a light beside an undercover police officer, i knew it was a cop so i didn't do anything suspicious, when the light turned green i tried to take off as quietly as i couldve but the cop still pulled me over. I probably got the worst cop on the force for this ticket as he was very straight forward and had no sympathy. He proceeded to look under my car and he found that i actually don't have a muffler, he than proceeded to give me a fat ticket for $110. i live in ontario so having a muffler is apart of the Highway traffic act. I plan to go fight this case, do you guys have any tips on how i could get off for this ticket ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You knowingly broke the law by fitting an exhaust that didn't meet the requirements for your area? It's $110. Pay it and count yourself lucky.

i bought the car a week ago like this

Quote Originally Posted by Moehejazi View Post
    i bought the car a week ago like this
    I see. That's unfortunate. However, it's still only $110. I'd suggest paying it and investing in a legal axle-back system as soon as you can. Otherwise you're going to have spent the same amount of money in tickets in a very short space of time.

If you transferred ownership then it's your responsibility. The courts around there might be different but here you're going to end up paying the ticket no matter what. If it's YOUR car it's YOUR responsibility to make sure everything on it is by the book.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    If you transferred ownership then it's your responsibility. The courts around there might be different but here you're going to end up paying the ticket no matter what. If it's YOUR car it's YOUR responsibility to make sure everything on it is by the book.
    I'd agree with this. I think the only chance you might have had was at the time you were pulled over. If you'd been able to explain that you'd just gotten the car a week ago (and had a receipt in the car to back it up), that you already had plans to change the exhaust and, IF the officer who pulled you over was understanding, then he may have just given you a warning. Once the ticket has been written.... I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

If you really want to go to court, I would bring any info on when you got the car and swap the exhaust and bring that receipt as well. If you go in there cool and can show that the car has been fixed they may wave the fine.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Go to court, bring a receipt showing that you had just bought the car, and a receipt for a new muffler.

No muffler ticket

Sounds like a real douche of a cop. My muffler delete is a lot quieter than some POS fart can mufflers out there on other cars. Considering you said you drove away normally and weren't racing around, I don't see why he even pulled you over

What's the difference between a muffler and a resonator anyway?
    Last edited by kh202; 02-16-2014 at 02:42 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    Sounds like a real douche of a cop.
    Or the Cop was just upholding the law. You break the law, you risk getting a ticket. End of story.

Many states have noise requirements.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

No muffler ticket

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Or the Cop was just upholding the law. You break the law, you risk getting a ticket. End of story.

Many states have noise requirements.
    But back to the question of the resonator. Isn't that a muffler? What's the difference? If he was running completely straight piped i could understand

zax
    But back to the question of the resonator. Isn't that a muffler? What's the difference? If he was running completely straight piped i could understand
    Most states have a dB limit that might have been exceeded. 95 dB limit is typical. And no, the resonator is not a muffler.

Facebook me here

Wait did he have any reason to just pull you over though? Cops can't just pull you over because they suspect you have an illegal mod. Then most of the subies on the roads would be getting tickets. There has to be a reason, a tail light out, tags out dated, or something.. I know in Oregon they can't just pull you over for the hell of it. But bringing a receipt for the car and muffler is the best idea as mentioned above for any chance at over turning the ticket.. sorry man thats tough

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    . And no, the resonator is not a muffler.
    not being an ass, just wondering, what is the difference?

zax
    not being an ass, just wondering, what is the difference?
    Resonators are tuned cavities designed to dampen acoustic resonance from the exhaust pulses. Mufflers are usually designed with some form of sound absorption material or expansion cavities.

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast