No muffler ticket - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on No muffler ticket within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by zax Resonators are tuned cavities designed to dampen acoustic resonance from the exhaust pulses. Mufflers are usually ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Resonators are tuned cavities designed to dampen acoustic resonance from the exhaust pulses. Mufflers are usually designed with some form of sound absorption material or expansion cavities.
    Gotcha. If it were me, I'd at least point it out to the cop and say there's my muffler....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Moehejazi View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 2011 wrx with a nameless axelback muffler delete.
    Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    Gotcha. If it were me, I'd at least point it out to the cop and say there's my muffler....

I haven't seen one, but I'm assuming that exhaust doesn't have any mufflers, or it would be a silly name for it. Just the resonator in the mid-pipe, I believe.

No muffler ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I haven't seen one, but I'm assuming that exhaust doesn't have any mufflers, or it would be a silly name for it. Just the resonator in the mid-pipe, I believe.
    Lol yeah I meant point to the resonator on the mid pipe. This muffler looks pretty darn similar to a resonator doesn't it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, but if it is a Nameless midpipe, the resonator looks like a long performance cat, not a muffler.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

No muffler ticket

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Yeah, but if it is a Nameless midpipe, the resonator looks like a long performance cat, not a muffler.
    We're talking about a cop here, not someone familiar with Subaru parts lol. I figure it'd be worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye26 View Post
    Wait did he have any reason to just pull you over though? Cops can't just pull you over because they suspect you have an illegal mod. Then most of the subies on the roads would be getting tickets. There has to be a reason, a tail light out, tags out dated, or something.. I know in Oregon they can't just pull you over for the hell of it. But bringing a receipt for the car and muffler is the best idea as mentioned above for any chance at over turning the ticket.. sorry man thats tough
    I'm sure Oregon laws aren't the same as Ontario laws, and have you ever heard a wrx with a muffler delete? They are LOUD.. which is why there are so many used nameless deletes for sale. I'm sure the LEO was well within his right to pull over and cite the violation.

OP: I'd just pay the fine and bring your car up to spec.. Unless you like how it sounds.. Then just keep paying the fines.

In NY if you just bought the car it is the shop/dealers fault for not changing it before it was sold. All you have to do is show that you just bought it and they have to make it right. Not sure how Ontario is.

Here in my city (subburb north of Montreal), they can pull you over when they suspect an illegal exhaust.

They dont have to get the dB checked, if the exhaust makes more noise than stock and doesnt have the same caracteristics as stock(i.e free flow) , its illegal.

They could just give a warning for the first offense, but hey...they're also paid to bring money in.

double post, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye26 View Post
    Wait did he have any reason to just pull you over though? Cops can't just pull you over because they suspect you have an illegal mod. Then most of the subies on the roads would be getting tickets. There has to be a reason, a tail light out, tags out dated, or something.. I know in Oregon they can't just pull you over for the hell of it. But bringing a receipt for the car and muffler is the best idea as mentioned above for any chance at over turning the ticket.. sorry man thats tough
    He pulled me over because my "car was too loud"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Moehejazi View Post
    He pulled me over because my "car was too loud"
    In this case, check your local regulations on vehicle sound. I would discuss this with the exhaust manufacturer. If the exhaust exceeds the local regulations, I'd remove the exhaust. If not, you may have a case to fight the allegations.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Plead not guilty and go to court. Half the time the cop doesn't show up anyway, and no prosecution witness means no case (they get thrown straight out at the start of the session). If he shows up then he might negotiate the fine before the session. Or if you want to be cheeky and can keep your cool...

1. Change your exhaust
    2. Take a picture nearer the court date (so it's dirty)
    3. Tell them the muffler connection had come loose and deny that the cop ever looked under the car, and that it's now fixed (as per the picture)

The worst that can happen in Alberta is that you pay the full fine, but at least you get some entertainment value for the money. Not sure about Ontario. This is only worthwhile if the time is of no consequence to you.

No muffler? Pay the fine.

Love the sound sans muffler? Keep paying the fine.

Don't like paying the fine? Buy a quieter exhaust.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye26
    Wait did he have any reason to just pull you over though? Cops can't just pull you over because they suspect you have an illegal mod.
    If you violate any part of the VTL while operating your vehicle on public roadways, a LEO is within his right to have a roadside discussion with you. Typically, you would look under the "Vehicle Equipment" section of the VTL to read the exact statutes in place for mufflers/exhausts in your state.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.