Turbo Smoke!!

This is a discussion on Turbo Smoke!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So ive got oil in my intercooler and a little bit of smoke at start up. Im confident its because ...

Turbo Smoke!!

So ive got oil in my intercooler and a little bit of smoke at start up. Im confident its because of the oil seal in the turbo. I pulled the inter cooler and there is a fair amount of oil in there. So i have sent out a bunch of email and made a few phone calls to some turbo building places i found online and i havent heard back. Im not looking for power i just want my stock turbo rebuilt with stronger internals and seals. and probably ported and polished to make it a little more efficient, maybe ceramic coating as well. I have a 2013 wrx. 3in perrin catted DP and perrin cat back exhaust. Cobb SF intake and perrin over sized turbo inlet tube. i have the torqued performance stage 2 generic map they have out, but i plan on getting a real tune after the turbo is fixed. i dont want to do a whole lot more than where im at. im running low 13's as is and im happy with that for now. So my question is does anyone know a good rebuild company?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bumpity. Come on guys. 117 views and no responses?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    It's slow around here on the weekend.

Have you pulled the downpipe yet? Smoke on startup could be several things. I'm not sure who can rebuild the factory turbos. Those are generally life-of-the-car items. Just call up some of the main turbo companies like Garret, etc and ask them what they can do for you...if in fact your turbo is the culprit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Some oil is normal. It is from PCV blowby. Hence why most run an air/oil seperator system or catch can. Stock turbo is an IHI so the only person who will generally deal with them will be ones who service IHI turbos. On a 2013 I can't see the turbo as being the issue.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Most turbos smoke like crazy when they go bad, and it's usually when you get on the throttle.

I know Grimmspeed will port and polish your stock turbo... I'd imagine they could rebuild it while they are at it.