Got my old 04 STI back looking for some rebuild ideas.

This is a discussion on Got my old 04 STI back looking for some rebuild ideas. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i'm new here and this is my first post here and I hope this is a good place ...

Got my old 04 STI back looking for some rebuild ideas.

Hey guys i'm new here and this is my first post here and I hope this is a good place to put that. Long story short I got my first car back today my 04 WRX STI and it's in pretty rough shape. From what I know so far it has a hole in the block from a thrown rod as well as some body damage(front bumper, Driver side door) As well as interior issues.(Seats carpet etc)

For the motor I have a goal of eventually making about 650 WHP or so. I want it to outrun my current car - 14 GTR. I want to know some good power making options that aren't going to run me a fortune. I also want to know what the cheapest/most reliable method of either rebuilding or replacing the engine.

Interior/Exterior I want it to look clean and show quality. Was wanting to go OEM but I've been considering some aftermarket body kits. I haven't seen any that really spark my interest though.

I want this to be a DIY summer project so keep that in mind. I really don't want to give it to any shops seeing as every shop in town that ever worked on it ****ed it up worse than it ever was.

Basically I want to know what options I have as far as making my goals and what the best place to find said parts will be.

If any more info is needed let me know! Thanks for looking guys!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirtSUCKS View Post
    For the motor I have a goal of eventually making about 650 WHP or so.
    I want to know some good power making options that aren't going to run me a fortune.
    You are not going to get 650 whp without spending a fortune. There are plenty of places that you can get a performance/built short block from.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Maybe 450 is a more realistic goal? Not sure really as this will be my first ever car build.

650 is ALOT for a 4 cylinder engine. It's possible. But it isn't cheap. 450 is a good goal. Quite a few people have gotten up into the 400's.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I know one person with a 600+whp Subaru, I don't even think he can tell you how much he's spent getting it to that point.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Yeah i'm thinking more like 450 as a better more realistic goal lol.

I was thinking new small block. would probably need heads too?

Saw this power package I liked which was the stage 3 Ultimate Racing package. Maybe do some injectors and other fuel related things to run E85.

My question is would a build like this require an upgraded clutch/tranny?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My question is would a build like this require an upgraded clutch/tranny?

Clutch yes, transmission, no.

Finally got the motor pulled out. Turned out there wasn't a hole in the block. Looking now to just clean up and rebuild the motor I suppose now that it is just a thrown rod. Any ideas on this? Prices I can look to spend? Recommendations of where to go?

I Support ClubWRX
    Any ideas on this? Prices I can look to spend? Recommendations of where to go?
    Price will depend on where you go and what you do. Are you looking for someone local or to ship the block out? I would probably do a 2.7L stroker with some head porting,TGV deletes and cams. Maybe even a Cosworth intake manifold.

Cosworth.com | Products | Power By Cosworthâ„¢

Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S