Warranty/Reliability Paranoia
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Warranty/Reliability Paranoia within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm almost 3k miles into my 2014 WRX and loving it. It's daily driven but not recklessly, from time to ...

I'm almost 3k miles into my 2014 WRX and loving it. It's daily driven but not recklessly, from time to time love to boost on the freeway or open spaces. I'm really close to working with Cobb down here in SoCal to go Stage 2 "stealth", which is AP/downpipe/tune. My issue is reading the endless amounts of issues with the ring lands and how Subaru won't even help you if the sniff performance mods. While I know it's not hard to re-flash back to stock and throw on the stock DP, my concern is the likeliness I'm going to experience a failure.
    My other idea since my local dealer service department has no issues with CB exhausts, was going AP/CBE/stage1 tune to be safer...though it sounds like Stage 2 is what really livens up the car.

Am I being paranoid or should I be confident and gamble on stage2 that's nicely driven that will be fine for 2-3 years? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you answered your own question:
    Stage 1= safer
    Stage 2= more gamble more fun

You're the one paying for stuff so that's all your choice

Lol, I know the best answer for sure. Just hoping for some peer pressure from successful tuners to give me the confidence to push through to Stage 2. You are right, gotta pay to play either way.

Sure stage 2 would be great, but when I mash the gas at 4000 rpms the thought "weak, needs more umph" just doesn't cross my head lol.

But then again, I am coming from this

Wow, that's hardcore right there. My past is highly modified Hondas...

Quote Originally Posted by Rmurphy_22 View Post
    Wow, that's hardcore right there. My past is highly modified Hondas...
    Haha yup we had our fun @ 1 mph over big rocks.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I always thought stage 2 was a very reliable area for both 2.0 and 2.5L motors. The 2.5's did have problems with the ringlands, just thought that came further down the mod path than stage 2. Someone else chime in.

You can go on nasioc and every other 11-14 has a ringland failure it seems like lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Any mod can be unsafe (including stage 1) if not done properly. You need to make sure and do your install correctly, and then perform troubleshooting/preventative datalogging after. This will point you toward any potential issues prior to destruction. I recommend a wideband o2 sensor on your upgrade list if you are going stage 2 or beyond (or if you are going opensource). It never hurts to have a compression/leakdown test done prior to upping the power either. Just so you know you are starting with a healthy motor.

Thanks for the advice guys. The plan is to have Cobb do the work which includes some dyno time to dial the car in perfectly. Another quick question...seems that people go Stage 1 with AP/intake OR AP/Exhaust, which is the better combo?

The stock intake is good for most even at stage 2. Guess the question is do you want the intake noise, or exhaust noise. A catback really does nothing for power, and is more a personal preference.

For me, I'm staying at stage 1 with stock intake, and possibly adding a CBE. With the Cobb tunes at stage 1, there is little chance of doing harm to a healthy car. The stage 1 93 octane tune that comes with the accessport livens the car up, and improves overall driveability, and is pretty safe.

Everyone has different goals. Stage 2 might be something I look at down the road, but at least for now....I'm happy with stage 1.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Thanks for the advice guys. The plan is to have Cobb do the work which includes some dyno time to dial the car in perfectly. Another quick question...seems that people go Stage 1 with AP/intake OR AP/Exhaust, which is the better combo?
    It depends which sound you like more...louder exhaust or turbo whooshing. You could do both. (as in my case...Stage 1+ I guess) I kept it simple, SPT Catback, AEM CAI and a tune. I basically got another 100 ft.lbs./TQ at the wheels just from that.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    It depends which sound you like more...louder exhaust or turbo whooshing. You could do both. (as in my case...Stage 1+ I guess) I kept it simple, SPT Catback, AEM CAI and a tune. I basically got another 100 ft.lbs./TQ at the wheels just from that.
    100ft/lbs of torque at the wheels...wow! I heard Stage 1 was a 10-20% increase in HP/TQ at best.

100ft/lbs of torque at the wheels...wow! I heard Stage 1 was a 10-20% increase in HP/TQ at best.
    I HAD a 2008 4EAT. (traded it in) The AWD Mustang Dyno log showed 291 ft. lbs. at the wheels - if I remember correctly...peaking at 2800RPM which was also lower than stock...launched like a bat out of hell and without complaining.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.