Novice Mechanic - Stage 2 Help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Novice Mechanic - Stage 2 Help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all.. So I purchased my 2014 a little over 2 months ago and would like to begin a stage ...

Novice Mechanic - Stage 2 Help

Hey all..
    So I purchased my 2014 a little over 2 months ago and would like to begin a stage 1 or 2 set up... my mechanical skills and lingo are fairly limited, but have access to you guys to help me out with the lingo and tips.. and have a mechanic in the family to help me with the difficult stuff... i'm sure there is a forum thread out there already, but i cant seem to find it.. but this is what i'm looking for...

Does anyone have a complete list of parts and tuning requirements needed to safely run a stage 2 in a 2014 WRX with no mods don't to it currently.

speak to me as if you were explaining it to a idiot (because in a way. you are..).. i'm learning alot just by being on the forums and reading posts and stuff.. but some abbreviations are still a bit foreign to me.

thanks for your help guys.
    2014 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX Limited Hatchback

La Crosse, Wisconsin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What does it mean?? Terminology and Acronyms for the newcomer!

For a stage 2 you would want a turboback exhaust and a cobb accessport (to tune). Or you could do a down pipe, and opensource tune (using a tactrix cable and a laptop). Welcome.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Follow the link Black posted. It should be good reference for the link I'm posting.

Here you will find all the FAQ's you'll ever need. We have a lot of the same info on here, but this just gives it to you all in one place and is a good starting point for a newbie.
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    You'll want to start with the Exhaust, Downpipe, Intake, and Tuning FAQ's. Those categories should largely cover stage 1-2.

Minimum requirements,
    Stage 1: Tune
    Stage 2: Tune+Downpipe

There are all kinds of variations, but the themes remain the same. You can think of it as a Tune=stage 1, bolt-ons=stage 2, turbo swap and/or engine work=stage 3.

Thanks guys. those links are a big help.. hoping to do this with my tax return. recommendations on parts? also see that COBB has a package deal with everything included for like $2200 is that a good deal? or should i diversify my products?
    2014 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX Limited Hatchback

La Crosse, Wisconsin

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact fast tuning products or WTF tuning (vendors on here) for probably better deals than you can find online. I've used both and they have great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs_McCoy View Post
    Thanks guys. those links are a big help.. hoping to do this with my tax return. recommendations on parts? also see that COBB has a package deal with everything included for like $2200 is that a good deal? or should i diversify my products?
    For stage 2, honestly a downpipe is a downpipe. Cobb's is expensive. Don't go cheap, but you could probably find cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Contact fast tuning products or WTF tuning (vendors on here) for probably better deals than you can find online. I've used both and they have great customer service.
    I may be a bit biased, but I'm going to agree here. I may have only gone stage 1 with wtf, but I liked their tune much more than my Torqued Performance tune, and most people like TP more than Cobb. So I would suggest getting in tough with WTF for the exhaust and then tune.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i have an invidia catless downpipe paired with a borla atak series exhaust and a cobb short ram intake. protuned on a dyno and running stage 2 setup. dont waste your time or money on a stage 1 tune. although you will notice gains, it will only leave you wanting more. i went straight to a stage 2 and didnt bother with 1, and am glad i did because its the perfect amount of power for someone just getting into the turbo world. cobb you will over pay for everything. invidia is an awesome brand and you can get a catless dp for under $300. mo powa FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Motoxdude6 View Post
    i have an invidia catless downpipe paired with a borla atak series exhaust and a cobb short ram intake. protuned on a dyno and running stage 2 setup. dont waste your time or money on a stage 1 tune. although you will notice gains, it will only leave you wanting more. i went straight to a stage 2 and didnt bother with 1, and am glad i did because its the perfect amount of power for someone just getting into the turbo world. cobb you will over pay for everything. invidia is an awesome brand and you can get a catless dp for under $300. mo powa FTW

<----- is jealous. that's what i want to do with my 12 hatch but it is a CPO vehicle and i bought the extended warranty. so good thing is i have that gold plan, bad news, no stage 2 for quite a while.

do it right the first time and save money on tuning more than once

injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, BPV, downpipe, EBCS. dont really need an intake but its nice.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.