Prices for rebuilt motor - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Prices for rebuilt motor within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by McBill I'll bet the engine didn't take to the tune well, which would have only been able ...

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I'll bet the engine didn't take to the tune well, which would have only been able to be noticed by logging. You could have had some serious knock for a while. But at this point all we can do is speculate. The fact that you never logged is not a good sign though as you/we have absolutely no idea how the engine responded to the tune. Some take it fine, others not so well....
    Yeah you're right. unfortunately I don't know many tuners so i'm kind of on my own figuring this out as I go. Lesson learned, what else can I say.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Krismgm View Post
    Yeah you're right. unfortunately I don't know many tuners so i'm kind of on my own figuring this out as I go. Lesson learned, what else can I say.
    Yeah, gotta learn somehow unfortunately. Good thing is that you learned from the situation. Hindsight is always 20/20.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There are places like BrenTuning (My tuner) can do E tunes, I imagine that there are some places right here on this to talk to. Maybe a solution to not have tuner around. Mine is 140 miles round trip. When I needed a map tweak he sent via email, and I loaded it on to my Cobb AP. This is a great way to go, make sure you run logs to monitor performance.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    There are places like BrenTuning (My tuner) can do E tunes, I imagine that there are some places right here on this to talk to. Maybe a solution to not have tuner around. Mine is 140 miles round trip. When I needed a map tweak he sent via email, and I loaded it on to my Cobb AP. This is a great way to go, make sure you run logs to monitor performance.
    If we are talking about E-Tuning, WTF tuning on here does a great job.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    My bad, i meant in general, as in people that work on imports and such. Not literal tuners. There's a hand full of shops around here, and if you're willing to make about a 40-60min drive some excellent ones for only Evo's and or only WRX/STI's. I just don't have any buddies working on cars or people to draw experience from other than the shops, so i tried my best to learn as I went and to scour the forums but a lot of the time the forums are just people yelling at each other: one saying you have to turn right. The other: whatever you do don't turn right, you must go left. So yeah, I gambled, I lost... Prob have to take out a loan to get it fixed but might try going all out if that's the case. Really build it up right for the future. Right now it's just a waiting game to see what the dealer says. From there I'll prob have it towed to a performance shop and have to rebuild the motor. Funny thing is at this point i'm hoping for a 10K repair, if metal flaked and got sucked through the engine i'm told i could even be looking at more. So just kinda sitting on my hands and waiting. As the saying goes, it is what it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    My bad, i meant in general, as in people that work on imports and such. Not literal tuners. There's a hand full of shops around here, and if you're willing to make about a 40-60min drive some excellent ones for only Evo's and or only WRX/STI's. I just don't have any buddies working on cars or people to draw experience from other than the shops, so i tried my best to learn as I went and to scour the forums but a lot of the time the forums are just people yelling at each other: one saying you have to turn right. The other: whatever you do don't turn right, you must go left. So yeah, I gambled, I lost... Prob have to take out a loan to get it fixed but might try going all out if that's the case. Really build it up right for the future. Right now it's just a waiting game to see what the dealer says. From there I'll prob have it towed to a performance shop and have to rebuild the motor. Funny thing is at this point i'm hoping for a 10K repair, if metal flaked and got sucked through the engine i'm told i could even be looking at more. So just kinda sitting on my hands and waiting. As the saying goes, it is what it is.
    That whole part about people giving advice here is spot on lol. Though, I agree with you on going balls to the wall on a rebuild if you end up having to pay for this yourself. That's what I would do for sure. Although I would rather avoid a rebuild all together, but not all beggers can be choosers.

Sent from my iPhone while taking the Browns to the Super Bowl
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Only to add to this...and get flamed, I am part of a car club in my town just north of Los Angeles. There are around twenty five subies and the rest are other makes (mitsubishi, vw, porche, nissan, etc) and of all of them, the ones with the engine stigma seems to be the Subies.

Out of those twenty five or so that I see weekly, I know of 4 that have gone down. All at stage 2 (turbo back, ap) with two of them having a bit more mods. Two 2007s, a 2011 and a 2013. The 2013 literally went from showroom, breakin, stage 2, broke down in a matter of weeks, I believe it was just a weak motor.

The 2007s and the 2011 are def strong cars and were beat on. Most of our cars are beat on actually. We drag and autox. There is also a 2013 that was stage 3+ (intake, turboback, headers, ewg, ebcs, larger top mount etc) and was told his car was going to go down by Cobb tuning. I have no actual clue what was said other than "you are in early stages of ringland failure." Im not sure how a tuner at cobb could say this knowing that it was def going to have failure or not. This guy in particular babied his car. He actually is well known on youtube for car vids and sorta documents his car builds. Now there is no way of knowing what would have happened to his car though because as soon as he was told this he went to stock, and traded it in for a Evo.

I plan on tuning mine this month actually, but you gotta pay to play and ive already picked out all my rebuild basically if I happen to run into a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jilty View Post
    Only to add to this...and get flamed, I am part of a car club in my town just north of Los Angeles. There are around twenty five subies and the rest are other makes (mitsubishi, vw, porche, nissan, etc) and of all of them, the ones with the engine stigma seems to be the Subies.

Out of those twenty five or so that I see weekly, I know of 4 that have gone down. All at stage 2 (turbo back, ap) with two of them having a bit more mods. Two 2007s, a 2011 and a 2013. The 2013 literally went from showroom, breakin, stage 2, broke down in a matter of weeks, I believe it was just a weak motor.

The 2007s and the 2011 are def strong cars and were beat on. Most of our cars are beat on actually. We drag and autox. There is also a 2013 that was stage 3+ (intake, turboback, headers, ewg, ebcs, larger top mount etc) and was told his car was going to go down by Cobb tuning. I have no actual clue what was said other than "you are in early stages of ringland failure." Im not sure how a tuner at cobb could say this knowing that it was def going to have failure or not. This guy in particular babied his car. He actually is well known on youtube for car vids and sorta documents his car builds. Now there is no way of knowing what would have happened to his car though because as soon as he was told this he went to stock, and traded it in for a Evo.

I plan on tuning mine this month actually, but you gotta pay to play and ive already picked out all my rebuild basically if I happen to run into a problem.
    Is this guy you are talking about "370zforme" ??
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Yeah, thats him. Good buddy of mine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.