Prices for rebuilt motor - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Prices for rebuilt motor within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Krismgm And mine just blew up. 2012 WRX, stage 2. Cobb sf intake, invidia catted downpipes and ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Krismgm View Post
    And mine just blew up. 2012 WRX, stage 2. Cobb sf intake, invidia catted downpipes and catback. other things like short shift and bushings but not much else relevant. Was driving on the interstate, started hearing this rhythmic knocking sound and was like WTF, is that my engine or do i have something slapping against my undercarriage? I got off, pulled to a light and stopped. Once i started going again BAM! clanking sounds everywhere and the engine stalled. All she wrote. I just had it towed back to the dealer a couple hours ago. I don't drive it hard, no track use, redlines, or launches. No flat foot shifting, just daily driver. My baby... and now i'm like oh ****. i'm at 26,000 miles and they're going to tell me to shove that warranty right up my ass because i have an accessport stg2 tune. Any advice on what to expect. This guy above was smart. He started trying to plan for this, I just kept my fingers crossed and prayed it wouldn't happen. Well... Here I am. If i have to rebuild it any ideas on the best way to go about it? Once the dealership tells me what's up should i just have it towed to a performance shop (really far away) and have them rebuild it, or could i have the dealership put in better parts that i order? I'm at a lost here.
    Wow, that really sucks! Honestly this shouldn't happen though. "Stage 2" is really basic, especially with the AP. Had you been data logging? And had you data logged a bit right after you flashed the tune?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Idk I see alot of 11-14s blowing even at stock form.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 13WrXx View Post
    I love how everyone concludes that the number is "a lot" when in actuality it's well under 1%.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well the one service guy at my dealer even told me that he would never get a newer wrx because of how many come in with blown motors so I think it's a little more than 1%

Hyperbole and anecdotal is my guess.
    Not so much anymore.

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I love how everyone concludes that the number is "a lot" when in actuality it's well under 1%.
    I agree. There really is only about 1% of people who have catastrophic engine failure. I run a stage 2 setup on my 2013 WRX I got it protuned, and I run data logs often. You would be surprised by how many people don't did it at all.
    I have a friend I work with he has 13 hatch, running stage2 with cat less exhaust. He has a CEL that is on all the time when I scan it with my AP it's bank 1 catalytic converter error. His car runs real rough and back fires constantly. He does not have an AP tuner and his was done with open source tuner. He can't data log so he would have no idea what the issue is. When my map needed adjustment, my tuner emailed me update after I ran a bunch of data logs everything is A OK. I have same mods (except I have a cat) and after a map update from tuner my car runs awesome, I still data log constantly to monitor performance. GET A COBB AP!! They are absolutely worth having.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    The reason you see a lot of blow ups is because people are more likely to post about their problems than than not. The fact of the matter is, although it may seem like there are A LOT of people blowing up, there really aren't. There are just more people posting about their horror stories than their Cinderella stories. Catastrophic failures are still proven to only be 1% of the cars that are out there. And while that is still a lot of cars. Compared to the whole WRX population, It's really nothing.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Where in Northern VA are you?
    Springfield

No data logging. Could have, should have, would have...

Running ots tune?

Running ots tune?
    Yeah, cob stg2. I went to get a protune and the guy was like hold off until you change your intercooler and then do the protune. So that was the plan.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well the one service guy at my dealer even told me that he would never get a newer wrx because of how many come in with blown motors so I think it's a little more than 1%

JUST KIDDING!

I <3 the way you perpetuate stereotypes and information without proper data to support Gets my bits all tingly.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

And mine just blew up. 2012 WRX, stage 2. Cobb sf intake, invidia catted downpipes and catback. other things like short shift and bushings but not much else relevant. Was driving on the interstate, started hearing this rhythmic knocking sound and was like WTF, is that my engine or do i have something slapping against my undercarriage? I got off, pulled to a light and stopped. Once i started going again BAM! clanking sounds everywhere and the engine stalled. All she wrote. I just had it towed back to the dealer a couple hours ago. I don't drive it hard, no track use, redlines, or launches. No flat foot shifting, just daily driver. My baby... and now i'm like oh ****. i'm at 26,000 miles and they're going to tell me to shove that warranty right up my ass because i have an accessport stg2 tune. Any advice on what to expect. This guy above was smart. He started trying to plan for this, I just kept my fingers crossed and prayed it wouldn't happen. Well... Here I am. If i have to rebuild it any ideas on the best way to go about it? Once the dealership tells me what's up should i just have it towed to a performance shop (really far away) and have them rebuild it, or could i have the dealership put in better parts that i order? I'm at a lost here.
    Were you low on oil at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    No data logging. Could have, should have, would have...
    I'll bet the engine didn't take to the tune well, which would have only been able to be noticed by logging. You could have had some serious knock for a while. But at this point all we can do is speculate. The fact that you never logged is not a good sign though as you/we have absolutely no idea how the engine responded to the tune. Some take it fine, others not so well....
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by hapa987s View Post
    Were you low on oil at all?
    Oil was good, first thing i checked when the engine went.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast