Cat delete question!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cat delete question!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sup guys, so today I went and took off the mid pipe catalytic converter. I have a 2012 wrx hatch. ...

Cat delete question!!

Sup guys, so today I went and took off the mid pipe catalytic converter. I have a 2012 wrx hatch. I know there's one directly behind the turbo and one on the mid pipe. I only took off the mid pipe one. I also have a custom axel back exhaust (magnaflow muffler with custom tips). My question is, with the cat delete should I be running stage 2? I've seen some nice performance gains with the cat delete. Turbo spools way faster and I'm hitting higher boos levels +.5-1.0 I'm currently running the torqued performance stage 1 map with a target boost of 18psi. Car sounds like a beast. Not way loud but a super deep rumble.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I didn't know there was a cat in the mid-pipe. Did this change with the new year models?

Yeah. I think the older models (02-07) had 3 catalytic converters. One was like a small "pre" catalytic converter. The newer models (08-now) have 2. One after the turbo and one mid pipe.

Unless the hatch is different, they should be on your DP. I don't have one in my mid.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Short answer is I'm not sure.

If you are tuned to run 18 lbs. and are consistently hitting 19+....you should look at adjusting your WDC.

Another thing you might want to look at is your IDC % while making a pull.

I'm tuned to 16 lbs. and know I run 85% or just a bit better while making a pull in third. I'm curious to hear what IDC % your hitting at 18 lbs.

-Red
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Short answer is you are running your car with a modification that your OTS map is not tuned for. Aside from the overboosting issue, you don't really have any idea what your A/F ratio is looking like. Return the exhaust to stock until you can get Eric or someone else to give you a tune appropriate for what you want to do to the car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Short answer is you are running your car with a modification that your OTS map is not tuned for. Aside from the overboosting issue, you don't really have any idea what your A/F ratio is looking like. Return the exhaust to stock until you can get Eric or someone else to give you a tune appropriate for what you want to do to the car.
    +1

Dumb move on your part, subiesnack.

a.) Newer WRXs have a terrible tendency to boost creep to all heck and back without cats... even with a good tune.
    b.) WRXs with mismatched OTS tunes (Generic Stage 1 tune with a non stage 1 setup) run like balls and are most likely running lean with poorly matched timing tables... not to mention your boost control tables will be all sorts of messed up.
    c.) OTS maps are easy to use. You read the map notes... and you follow them. Something you apparently are incapable of.

Running catless doesn't yield large gains, especially at your power level. "Free flowing exhaust" doesn't mean that all the cats are out of the exhaust... it means its been opened up to 3" from the turbo back... Basically get an aftermarket down pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    Short answer is I'm not sure.

If you are tuned to run 18 lbs. and are consistently hitting 19+....you should look at adjusting your WDC.
    If you are running an off the shelf tune, I would never advise adjusting your WGDC. Those settings are extremely touchy and you could easily cause severe damage. If you know what you are doing in that department, you probably aren't running an OTS tune.

Just talk to your tuner. I don't see what's so wrong with asking for support for a product/service you purchased.

Another thing you might want to look at is your IDC % while making a pull.
    He's not maxing out his IDCs. Not a bad thing to check in general, but its a moot point. I'd be more curious to see if he's running at 13AFR at redline.

I'm tuned to 16 lbs. and know I run 85% or just a bit better while making a pull in third. I'm curious to hear what IDC % your hitting at 18 lbs.

-Red
    Your IDCs won't increase much with a higher boost pressure at peak torque. IDCs are highest towards red line (peak hp), not peak torque... where the stock turbo isn't gonna move enough air to really cap them out badly... especially with the stock downpipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I didn't know there was a cat in the mid-pipe. Did this change with the new year models?
    There isn't. The midpipe has a resonator.

Quote Originally Posted by subiesnack46 View Post
    Yeah. I think the older models (02-07) had 3 catalytic converters. One was like a small "pre" catalytic converter. The newer models (08-now) have 2. One after the turbo and one mid pipe.
    02-05 WRX had 3 stock cats: one in the uppipe, two in the downpipe.

06-07 WRX only had two: none in the uppipe, both in downpipe.

04-07 STIs only had two: both in the downpipe.

08-present...all only have two cats, both in the downpipe.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

It is a OTS map but was revised a couple times by Eric from torqued performance to match my setup before I took off the cats. What's ill most likely do is run a quick log of a 3rd gear pull and send it to Eric to see what he thinks. The 2 cats are prettyy close together. One is directly behind the turbo and the second is coming right off the bend before the resonator.

alright guys I sent Eric a log of a 3rd gear pull at 2500 rpm and he said "The logs look really good". cat delete log.pdf

So you took off the downpipe, cut out the cat, welded straight pipe in and mounted it back up? Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a proper divorced wastegate, or bellmouth catless DP?

Any chance you have pictures of your exhaust with the deleted cat? I'm very curious.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

I can promise you the OP removed the resonator thinking it is a catalyst
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

OP, was this the "Cat" you removed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.