vf39 rebuild, 18g or 20g turbo? any recommendations?

This is a discussion on vf39 rebuild, 18g or 20g turbo? any recommendations? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My turbo is starting to burn an little oil, I am currently running a vf39 sti turbo with stock actuater, ...

Registered User ronzonothebugeye's Avatar

Thumbs up vf39 rebuild, 18g or 20g turbo? any recommendations?

My turbo is starting to burn an little oil, I am currently running a vf39 sti turbo with stock actuater, boosting 15-17.5 lbs. My question is should I rebuild the vf39, or run a 18g or 20g turbo? If I rebuild the vf39 I would want to add a billet compressor wheel. Here is a link of the wheel I am looking at.

https://www.xsboostturbochargers.com...f39-vf43-vf48/

My car is my daily driver, I am currently running an stock ej25 engine with pink injectors, that was recently rebuilt about 4000 miles ago. Can anyone give me any recommendations or suggestions on what whould be better for daily driving. Current numbers on an opensource tune was 304hp and 297lbs or tourque.

LS stocker to a VTEC rocker!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thought you couldn't rebuild the vf39 turbo....just find another vf39. If you go bigger you're gonna need bigger injectors and maybe even a tmic to make it worth the money and then another tune...

Plus it's coming for them to burn some oil...maybe clarify how you know it's burning oil.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    I thought you couldn't rebuild the vf39 turbo....just find another vf39. If you go bigger you're gonna need bigger injectors and maybe even a tmic to make it worth the money and then another tune...

Plus it's coming for them to burn some oil...maybe clarify how you know it's burning oil.
    I am running a turbo xs tmic, and pink injectors. The rubuild kit is only 60 bucks online. I have a little experience in turbos going bad, I have two other turbo cars. But just to clairify, the turbo has a little bit more play than it should when moving the shaft, which in most cases means the seals could be worn. I've also been running through 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles, which is not normal, as well as the buring oil smell.

Well I'm still sticking with what I said....I don't think they can be rebuild. Maybe someone else will chime in! You can possibly replace some of the seals....not sure. Where is the kit from?

I have an 18g on my 06 WRX. I have 650cc injectors and they are just barely large enough. My tuner had to cut back on power due to injector duty cycle so bear that in mind. Also think about your trans and engine internals if you decide to go bigger than a vf39.
    Last edited by lytlec; 01-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Well I'm still sticking with what I said....I don't think they can be rebuild. Maybe someone else will chime in! You can possibly replace some of the seals....not sure. Where is the kit from?
    here is the site that sells the rebuild kit

https://www.xsboostturbochargers.com...48-subaru-sti/

Hmm...interesting. Did you see my edit about injectors and what not?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Hmm...interesting. Did you see my edit about injectors and what not?
    is the 16g the pretty much the same as the vf39? or 16g is not even worth it?

I'm running the pink STI injectors, what is the max hp output of those? anbody know? Also my budy has a vf48 used with 6k miles on it for 200 buck, off and 2011 sti, is that a good deal. Is the vf48 pretty much the same as the vf39? any help from anybody ....pz!!! can the pink injectors handle a big 16g, or an 18g?
    Last edited by ronzonothebugeye; 01-29-2014 at 08:16 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ronzonothebugeye View Post
    I'm running the pink STI injectors, what is the max hp output of those? anbody know? Also my budy has a vf48 used with 6k miles on it for 200 buck, off and 2011 sti, is that a good deal. Is the vf48 pretty much the same as the vf39? any help from anybody ....pz!!! can the pink injectors handle a big 16g, or an 18g?
    There are a lot of factors that contribute to "XXXXcc injectors will produce YYY horsepower." From a top-level down, the volumetric efficiency of the motor will directly influence how much horsepower can be squeezed from a specific size injector. Furthermore, with the stock TMIC, the ECU will need to inject slightly more fuel to maintain complete combustion and stave off pre-det. By upgrading to a larger TMIC, the car can be leaned out slightly at higher load cells thus reducing the requirement for injector overhead.

That being said, a stage 2 STi will max out 565cc injectors with a pro-tune depending on the aggressiveness of the tune. With a VF39 or 16G, I would recommend at least 650cc injectors, and 750cc or above for an 18G or larger to maintain reasonable 10-15% electrical headroom.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    VF39 is not rebuildable. I bought one to do a swap and sent it off to Blouch or Deadbolt for reworking. They tore it down, said don't waste your money and shipped it back.

The VF 39 is slightly smaller than the 16G. The 16G is a good midrange turbo with good spool, but it is not a Dyno queen that will put down high power numbers. I always wanted to run a "Big 16G" on my car, but never got around to it. Pinks may be a little small for 16G.

The most popular option people go with is the 18G. Makes big power with intense power surge, spool suffers a little, but it gets smiles per gallon and adrenalin flowing. It also requires the most supporting mods. You'll need a Fuel pump, aftermarket injectors, a FMIC or giant TMIC and more. Your transmission may not live very long unless you are really really nice, which cuts down the fun factor.

The VF48 is a different turbo than the VF39 and slightly bigger, but wont net any large power increases over the 39.

With anything more than the vf39 you'll need new injectors.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I appricaite all of the great infromation that you and 06wrx4me were able to give me. I am also running a large turboxs tmic, as well as uppipe, catless downpipe, and a perrin dual pipe exhaust, as well as a ej25.... If i plan to upgrade my injectors, I mine as well go with a 20g, and a tune, just my thoughts. I thinking I might just get the big 16g and get it tuned to the max of my injectors capability. Can a tuner adjust the boost without a boost controler and a stock boost solenoid. From what I'm reading the big 16g im looking at is set with a 9lb accuater... thanks again for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    There are a lot of factors that contribute to "XXXXcc injectors will produce YYY horsepower." From a top-level down, the volumetric efficiency of the motor will directly influence how much horsepower can be squeezed from a specific size injector. Furthermore, with the stock TMIC, the ECU will need to inject slightly more fuel to maintain complete combustion and stave off pre-det. By upgrading to a larger TMIC, the car can be leaned out slightly at higher load cells thus reducing the requirement for injector overhead.

That being said, a stage 2 STi will max out 565cc injectors with a pro-tune depending on the aggressiveness of the tune. With a VF39 or 16G, I would recommend at least 650cc injectors, and 750cc or above for an 18G or larger to maintain reasonable 10-15% electrical headroom.

I ended up picking up a VF48 out of a 2012 sti, only 6k miles on it. Im thinking of putting in the BILLET Turbocharger compressor Wheel from XS boost. What do you guys think of the compressor wheel?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	133930
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	133938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IHI VF Series RSZ .jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	133946

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    VF39 is not rebuildable. I bought one to do a swap and sent it off to Blouch or Deadbolt for reworking. They tore it down, said don't waste your money and shipped it back.

The VF 39 is slightly smaller than the 16G. The 16G is a good midrange turbo with good spool, but it is not a Dyno queen that will put down high power numbers. I always wanted to run a "Big 16G" on my car, but never got around to it. Pinks may be a little small for 16G.

The most popular option people go with is the 18G. Makes big power with intense power surge, spool suffers a little, but it gets smiles per gallon and adrenalin flowing. It also requires the most supporting mods. You'll need a Fuel pump, aftermarket injectors, a FMIC or giant TMIC and more. Your transmission may not live very long unless you are really really nice, which cuts down the fun factor.

The VF48 is a different turbo than the VF39 and slightly bigger, but wont net any large power increases over the 39.

With anything more than the vf39 you'll need new injectors.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ronzonothebugeye
    I ended up picking up a VF48 out of a 2012 sti, only 6k miles on it. Im thinking of putting in the BILLET Turbocharger compressor Wheel from XS boost. What do you guys think of the compressor wheel?
    Stick with what you have, and if that's not enough, upgrade to a MHI turbo. The Blouch 18G-XT would be a fun turbo on a stock EJ25 motor, and if properly supported/tuned/maintained, should run for a long time.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Stick with what you have, and if that's not enough, upgrade to a MHI turbo. The Blouch 18G-XT would be a fun turbo on a stock EJ25 motor, and if properly supported/tuned/maintained, should run for a long time.
    The only reason why I'm asking is because since I will be repalcing the turbo anyways, and retuning it because its a new turbo, It would be cool to make 10-15 more horsepower and tourque for a 100 dollar compressor wheel. Or is what your saying the compressor wheel is junk?