Got my list of upcoming mods on 2012 WRX sedan...opinons/tips??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

This is a discussion on Got my list of upcoming mods on 2012 WRX sedan...opinons/tips?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so here's what I plan on doing within the next few years for my 2012 WRX. This is my ...

  1. #1
    Registered User SuperSonic12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lehighton
    Posts
    72

    Got my list of upcoming mods on 2012 WRX sedan...opinons/tips??

    Ok so here's what I plan on doing within the next few years for my 2012 WRX. This is my daily driver and first time owning a car with a turbo so I'd like to keep it as fuel efficient as it is now but if I lose a few mpg to have the extra power, that would be fine with me but if I can gain mpg, that would be great also. I want to keep the stock turbo, unless it's recommended by alot of people to just upgrade that but for what I do with it, I don't really think I will have the need to replace it. I'm not looking for obnoxiously loud and not looking for 600 HP, maybe just to add 100 HP or so. Total budget I'm guessing would be around the $5000 area with the parts I'm thinking to put on and probably go as far as stage 2 but not any further than that. Most of the parts listed below are what I did research on and for the most part was recommended by many on this forum and NASIOC and also went by what I thought was affordable for me and personal preference. If anyone has any opinions about my setup or think a different brand of part would be better than suggested or don't think I even need some of the parts for what I'm trying to achieve, please let me know and I will take your info and keep it in mind when purchasing parts.

    Here is the list:

    Invidia Q300 divorced catted downpipe and cat. back exhaust (catted for inspections)

    Cobb Tuning SF intake and airbox

    Cobb V3 Accessport

    Get rid of stock top mount intercooler and get Perrin front mount intercooler and hose kit

    Cobb short throw shifter

    Go Fast Bits TMS Respons Hybrid adjustable diverter valve

    Turbo heatshield

    manual or electronic boost controller

    H & R front and rear lowering springs....only lower about and inch of two

    Innovate turbo timer


    P.S.: I have seen the stickies about the whole bov thing and I'm not looking into what the car sounds like when I'm off shifting....the cobb intake is a good enough sound for me on its own...so my question is, what is better for power gain and throttle response....a diverter valve, recirculation valve, or bypass valve??

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    221
    My suggestion is to get the Perrin BPV. It will take care of the boost leak issue that you'll run into with more power, and it's still recirc like your stock one.
    And your gonna need a bigger tubo if your looking for 100whp gain like you said above. Which means also fuel pump and injectors. That's all my thoughts.

    Next!
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

  4. #3
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,997
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What's with the turbo timer dude? It's a way to waste fuel and nothing else. Read about Subarus: your turbo is water cooled... you don't own a DSM. Innovate makes a WBO2 sensor that's excellent... maybe this is what you're thinking.

    I would also suggest a quality TMIC before you go with a FMIC. Especially with the stock VF52.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  5. #4
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,201
    I Support ClubWRX
    For starters, you do not need a turbo timer. It is a waste of money and everyone on here will tell you the same thing.

    Second off, in my opinion, you also do not need a FMIC. To each their own but you will not be making enough HP and pushing enough air through it to justify the expense. If you really want to upgrade the intercooler, for the way it looks like your build is going all you would need is a bit bigger of a TMIC, especially since the car is already designed for it. The only time you would need to think about upgrading to a FMIC setup is if you were upgrade your turbo.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  6. #5
    Registered User SuperSonic12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lehighton
    Posts
    72
    elblanco1987, I think I actually looked into that one and was trying to decide what to do cause like I said, I'm new to owning a car with a turbo but slowly learning the ways of what's really all involved with it and how it all works. A few people have mentioned the GT35R turbo so ya think something like that would be a good choice??
    Last edited by SuperSonic12; 01-27-2014 at 08:34 AM.

  7. #6
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,997
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    A few people have mentioned the GT35R turbo so ya think something like that would be a good choice??
    LOL are you serious or trolling?

    You have no where CLOSE to the supporting mods necessary to run a GT35R
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  8. #7
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,201
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    I think I actually looked into that one and was trying to decide what to do cause like I said, I'm new to owning a car with a turbo but slowly learning the ways of what's really all involved with it and how it all works. A few people have mentioned the GT35R turbo so ya think something like that would be a good choice??
    Do some research. These cars start roasting piston rings and some have catastrophic failures when going further than just the basic bolt on mods with a tune. At least with the stock internals. So if you are looking for a reliable DD, this may not be the way you want to go....
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  9. #8
    Registered User SuperSonic12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lehighton
    Posts
    72
    Zax - yes the WBO2 sensor is what I was thinking. and as for the GT35R...the only reason I even know of this one is because a friend mentioned it to me that's what he would put on if he had my car, but then again he likes to go more all out on his cars than I have and for right now I'd like to keep it somewhat simple for mods till I feel like I want to take it to another level of power in the distant future.
    McBill - I will look into those top mount intercoolers. I like the look that the front mount intercoolers give the car but if it's not logical to put one on, then I just have to deal with a top mount one that will give me better functionality. So if you take off the turbo timer and FMIC and no GT35R, should I be ok with internal parts and not having failures?? Thanks for the tips guys, that's why I came on here, to get advice from the professionals.

  10. #9
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,201
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    McBill - I will look into those top mount intercoolers. I like the look that the front mount intercoolers give the car but if it's not logical to put one on, then I just have to deal with a top mount one that will give me better functionality. So if you take off the turbo timer and FMIC and no GT35R, should I be ok with internal parts and not having failures?? Thanks for the tips guys, that's why I came on here, to get advice from the professionals.
    Your list looks good to me other than the ones we already talked about. In terms of engine failure... ANY time you do modifications to a car that are beyond the factory specifications you are running a risk of some sort of failure, ESPECIALLY if said modifications are not done properly. Some cars are very forgiving with people who have no idea what they are doing, for a lack of better words, meaning not much will result from their ignorance. But the WRX's and STI's are a whole other animal. If you feed these cars with the wrong food, let alone perform surgery without the best parts and practitioners, they WILL slowly, and sometimes quickly, die from the inside out.

    With that being said, My suggestion to you is to do all the research your brain can possibly handle before you do ANYTHING to alter the performance of your vehicle. You want to know the ins and outs of every part you put on her, along with exactly what it will, or could do, to your car and what you may need to add with it.

    Learn everything you can to help prevent serious mistakes that could cost you a fortune.

    Happy Modding!
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  11. #10
    Registered User SuperSonic12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lehighton
    Posts
    72
    you make a good point and I agree, and one of the last things I wanna do is ruin something that is already more powerful than I thought it was gonna be. The problem is that there are so many different parts and brands to put on and I'm trying to figure out what a majority of the people have that seem to work out the best for them that have the kind of setup that I would like to go with. Not to sound like a jerk, but I try to learn other peoples' mistakes so that I save myself some money and hassle and get it right the first try. I originally was just gonna go with a catback exhaust and the intake and that was it but started talking to people and saw what was available for the car and started to get hooked on just going all out on it but after seeing prices of upgraded parts, I pretty much got it planned for just bolt on mods.

  12. #11
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,201
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    you make a good point and I agree, and one of the last things I wanna do is ruin something that is already more powerful than I thought it was gonna be. The problem is that there are so many different parts and brands to put on and I'm trying to figure out what a majority of the people have that seem to work out the best for them that have the kind of setup that I would like to go with. Not to sound like a jerk, but I try to learn other peoples' mistakes so that I save myself some money and hassle and get it right the first try. I originally was just gonna go with a catback exhaust and the intake and that was it but started talking to people and saw what was available for the car and started to get hooked on just going all out on it but after seeing prices of upgraded parts, I pretty much got it planned for just bolt on mods.
    Yeah, if you can I would read some of the build threads on here. There are a few extremely good ones, those show mistakes as well so they can show you what to do and what not to do.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    308
    process west TMIC, FMIC is overkill unless your tracking the car. i'd go equal length headers before a turbo upgrade (killer-B). and a quality pro-tune from someone who doesn't have their head up their own ass

  14. #13
    Registered User SuperSonic12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lehighton
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    process west TMIC, FMIC is overkill unless your tracking the car. i'd go equal length headers before a turbo upgrade (killer-B). and a quality pro-tune from someone who doesn't have their head up their own ass
    yeah that's what people have been telling me, so I was looking at that one and one by Perrin and even tho the Perrin is about $100 cheaper, it doesn't look like it comes with new clamps and fittings and hoses and the Process West one does so I'd probably go with that one cause I might as well replaces the hoses and parts that go along with it to prevent hassle later on. As for the garage to do a tune, I've been talking to some guys on here that have been doing research on some places and I think I found one that is pretty reliable and one of the guys used to work for Cobb and now has a tune shop somewhat close to me.

  15. #14
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,997
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    yeah that's what people have been telling me, so I was looking at that one and one by Perrin and even tho the Perrin is about $100 cheaper, it doesn't look like it comes with new clamps and fittings and hoses and the Process West one does so I'd probably go with that one cause I might as well replaces the hoses and parts that go along with it to prevent hassle later on. As for the garage to do a tune, I've been talking to some guys on here that have been doing research on some places and I think I found one that is pretty reliable and one of the guys used to work for Cobb and now has a tune shop somewhat close to me.
    Honestly, I'd not cheap out. Get the PWest.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Honestly, I'd not cheap out. Get the PWest.
    buy cheap, buy twice (not that perrin is cheap, but you get where i was going)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •