Turbo upgrade advice needed.

This is a discussion on Turbo upgrade advice needed. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What kind of turbo is recommended if I wanna step away from the stock turbo on my 2012 WRX. I've ...

Turbo upgrade advice needed.

What kind of turbo is recommended if I wanna step away from the stock turbo on my 2012 WRX. I've been told that the GT35R would be the choice they would go with...does anyone else agree with this and does anyone know the horsepower rating of the stock turbo, like what it's good up to? And if anyone is in or area the Lehighton, PA area, send me a message. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't have $15K available, a GT35R isn't in the cards for you.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ahhh, well I was told that by a guy that likes to go all out on his cars and said if he had my car that that's what he would do haha. Do you have a recommendation of a cheaper but still decent bigger turbo to go with?

I Support ClubWRX
    You have not exactly stated any goals nor a budget. Any turbo over stock is going to require other complementary parts to support it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

well to start, I'd like to get the Cobb intake and get a turbo back exhaust and get a Perrin front mount intercooler kit. this is my first car with a turbo so I'm kinda knew to what's all involved with them and what the right setup is so whatever I can do with the stock turbo without burning it out quick but have like 50-100 more horespower, that's what I'd like to do. And it's my daily driver so I want to keep it pretty economic on fuel and don't plan on taking it to the track very much so any recommendations are appreciated.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12 View Post
    well to start, I'd like to get the Cobb intake and get a turbo back exhaust and get a Perrin front mount intercooler kit. this is my first car with a turbo so I'm kinda knew to what's all involved with them and what the right setup is so whatever I can do with the stock turbo without burning it out quick but have like 50-100 more horespower, that's what I'd like to do. And it's my daily driver so I want to keep it pretty economic on fuel and don't plan on taking it to the track very much so any recommendations are appreciated.
    Go stage 2 and stop.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic12
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    Go stage 2 and stop.
    ^ That ^

A custom S2 tune would likely give you what you want and save you a bunch of $$ in the meantime...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

yeah I agree with this cause I don't wanna do much internal stuff if I don't have to. it only has 18,000 miles on it which is barely breaking it in so pretty much for the next few years or more, I think the smart and cost efficient thing to do as far as upgrades is to do the easy part replacements and tune and run that until I feel like I would like more power. thanks for the advice guys.