Considering Forged Internals?????????
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Considering Forged Internals????????? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I picked up a clean as heck 2002 WRX about a week ago. It was tuned a few months ago. ...

Question Considering Forged Internals?????????

I picked up a clean as heck 2002 WRX about a week ago. It was tuned a few months ago. Not stock, has intake, exhaust, 3in intercooler piping, ball bearing turbo thats ported, Clutch, and a few others. stock trans. 5 speed. I can hear a knocking/tapping sound very slightly when holding the throttle completly still from about 2600rpm to 3400rpm. unlucky me i am guessing its rod bearing. i was thinking if it will make it till March i could daily my 240sx and tear down the subie. i was thinking while its apart to do some forged internals for extra saftey. I could dump maybe $2000 into parts and do all the labor. Cars at 320hp and i am fine where its at. it is my Daily driver and i want it to be my daily for another 100k miles. what do you guys suggest?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    3" inter cooler piping?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    3" inter cooler piping?
    Yes, it has a front mount intercooler and all the piping is 3".

It's making a short grrr noise right when you let off at 5,000rpm now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Without hearing the noise it could be several things. No way to correctly diagnose without audio
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

So what exactly are the mods? There are 9 million different ball bearing turbos out there...tons of different FMICs with 3" piping...millions of intakes...

Sounds like you need to figure out what exactly you have before you figure out what you should do. You have a dyno sheet saying 320hp or is that what someone told you?

You won't make it another 100k as a daily driver.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

IHI VF22 Ball Bearing Turbo (Modified with Port Work)

Front mount Intercooler Kit 3" piping (Austrailan Made) Bar and Plate with Polished End Tanks

HKS SSQV Blow off valve

AEM Air Intake (modified for short Ram) with K&N filter

Aluminum Crank Pulley

3" Full Stainless Steel Exhuast (Invidia Style) Polished

3" Electronic Cut out from QTP controlled from the dash via switch

STI 565 Injectors from Japan

255 lph Walbro Intank Pump

Cel Kit

Greddy Style oil catch can

T304 Stainless steel UP pipe w/ flex section and 3" DownPipe

Iridium Spark plugs 1 heat range cooler

Mark Halman Boost Controller, Rock Solid

DXD Clutch Kit DXD-F (Feramic, graphite and cindered iron) 'Will hold all the power with stock feel'

Earth R1 ground wires

Car is at 319hp, I have the dyno sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Without hearing the noise it could be several things. No way to correctly diagnose without audio
    For the guys at ClubWRX. - YouTube

Should be the link to a video. Knocking starts a few second in. Also listen to the blow off. Had one tech tell me it's completely fine. But I've heard that flutter noise is bad. Please elaborate for me. Thanks for the responses guys!

10 seconds in the noise starts...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.