Cooling issues with 2005 WRX?

This is a discussion on Cooling issues with 2005 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking to buy myself a WRX and found one on Craigslist that I liked but than I realized that the ...

Question Cooling issues with 2005 WRX?

Looking to buy myself a WRX and found one on Craigslist that I liked but than I realized that the inter-cooler is located in the front. Dose anyone know why it was only like that fora year? Is there any overheating issues because it dose not make sense to me why it would be like this for only one year than go back to the top mounted inter-cooler? And lastly how difficult would it be to install a top mounted one on it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's an aftermarket setup

ok than is it better than TMIC or should I see about getting a TMIC and ditching the FMIC?

Heres some good toilet reading material for ya:
    FMIC FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    ;-)

Funny how I'm on the toilet now...lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawfulsin77 View Post
    Looking to buy myself a WRX and found one on Craigslist that I liked but than I realized that the inter-cooler is located in the front. Dose anyone know why it was only like that fora year? Is there any overheating issues because it dose not make sense to me why it would be like this for only one year than go back to the top mounted inter-cooler? And lastly how difficult would it be to install a top mounted one on it?
    Post a link up for the sale. Chances are if it has a front mount intercooler than there are many more modifications that have been done to the car. A FMIC is not a typical "first" modification, as it does not add any performance on the stock wrx set up (in fact I would say it negatively affects performance as a stand alone upgrade). Without seeing this car, and only knowing that it has a fmic, I am going to have to assume it has either been heavily modified, or poorly modified, and I would walk away and keep looking. Just my thoughts.

I agree with 11blacksti. However just because it has been heavily modified if it even was does not necessarily mean the car was or is in bad shape. He may have even only put the front mount on for cosmetic looks....However it still would raise a red flag and I wouldn't want to spend money on a possible ticking time bomb. You aren't the owner so you have no clue how it was treated

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Post a link up for the sale. Chances are if it has a front mount intercooler than there are many more modifications that have been done to the car. A FMIC is not a typical "first" modification, as it does not add any performance on the stock wrx set up (in fact I would say it negatively affects performance as a stand alone upgrade). Without seeing this car, and only knowing that it has a fmic, I am going to have to assume it has either been heavily modified, or poorly modified, and I would walk away and keep looking. Just my thoughts.
    2005 Subaru WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    This is not the WRX I'd buy if it were my first.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This is not the WRX I'd buy if it were my first.
    Can I ask why?

I Support ClubWRX
    Can I ask why?
    I would agree with SD_GR. This car has quite a few things done to it that might make me question the quality of the build. It doesn't appear to have been done top notch. Generally speaking, you are better off buying a stock WRX if you are concerned about having a car that is not a financial headache. I would personally only buy a used modified car if I knew the person who modified it and knew that they did a good job (and I was around to hear about any headaches), or maybe if it was professionally done by a very very reputable shop.

So you think somthing more like this is a better bet?
    2002 subaru impreza wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    So you think somthing more like this is a better bet?
    2002 subaru impreza wrx
    Honestly, it is hard to endorse any modified WRX without being intimate with the build and life of the car. Again, really the only advice that we can give you would be to look for a stock (unmodified) wrx with a documented maintenance history (and have it checked by a subaru knowledgeable mechanic) and then do the work yourself to modify. Unless you know the person who built the car and were there the whole time or it was built by a very reputable company (with a documented build/maintenance history), I just wouldn't buy a modified (heavily) wrx. It can turn into a real nightmare. Not trying to be discouraging, but just trying to let you know so you can avoid a huge money pit.