aem cold air intake questions

This is a discussion on aem cold air intake questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought and installed an aem cai. I also used my Cobb accessport to flash an aem stage 1 tune ...

aem cold air intake questions

I bought and installed an aem cai. I also used my Cobb accessport to flash an aem stage 1 tune from the Cobb archives. When I drive normally I feel nothing which I'm not looking for anything since km casually driving. But when I "romp" on it obviously I get the suction sound that's normal. When I shift I get a swoosh sound which I herd it's the access air coming back out through the cai ... something to do with my stock bpv. Is that bad or no worries? Also I want to know if I should get bigger injectors and fuel pump to better even out the air fuel ratio? Or could I tune it with what I got ie. Stock injectors and pump? How could I get it better tuned to make it respond better to my throttle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have any other mods? What year is your car?

The whooshing sound is normal. You don't need to worry about getting fuel injectors/fuel pump at this point, the map you flashed from COBB should be compensating for the changes from the intake. The accessport won't be able to read a true air to fuel ratio too accurately, but it does ok. What you would want (and I would recommend if you plan on continuing to modify your car) would be a wideband o2 sensor with gauge. This will read your A/F ratio very accurately. What you need to do is record some datalogs and review them to ensure your car took the map correctly. If you need help analyzing the datalog then post it here and we will help you out.

It takes a little bit for the car to adjust to changes in fuel trims when you flash a new map or reset your ecu, so throttle response should get better after a day or two. If you are looking for more power then your next logical step would be to get a turboback exhaust and go to stage 2.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 01-17-2014 at 03:07 AM.

[/QUOTE]It takes a little bit for the car to adjust to changes in fuel trims when you flash a new map or reset your ecu, so throttle response should get better after a day or two. If you are looking for more power then your next logical step would be to get a turboback exhaust and go to stage 2.[/QUOTE]

It's a 2010 wrx hatch and I've had it for awhile now. It feels to me like it's running too lean and has loss of power. Or maybe it could be the exhaust. I have an axle back n1. I want the invidia up pipe and down pipe, both catless

I Support ClubWRX
    Running lean actually would not cause a loss of power, it would cause detonation (knock), which eventually would cause engine damage. How long have you had the flashed map on there? Have you done any datalogging? Stage 1 is not really going to give you a huge increase in power, more just smoothing it out.