Stage 2 Tune

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Tune within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, So I have already received some advice from people in the chat and if you're reading this please feel ...

Stage 2 Tune

Ok, So I have already received some advice from people in the chat and if you're reading this please feel free to tune in. Anyhow like the title says I wish to go "stage 2" soon. My problem is deciding on the tune itself. I really want a protune, I like the idea of it better. Personalized to my car is obviously going to be better than a universal MAP from COBB with the AP. Not to say that those aren't bad.

So here are my options: The tuner I am going to prefers to have a Cobb AP for obvious reasons, in short it makes it easier on him to tune. The downside to this option is that not only do I have to pay for the tune but I have to buy an AP. My other option is to have him do an open source tune. This way I would not have to pay for an AP. The only downside, on my side of the field, is that I would not be able to do data logs as easily as I would with the AP. It is my understanding that if i buy a tactrix cable I will be able to data log from a laptop. Those of you with experience with open sources, how easy is it to do data logs through a laptop?

Finally the parts, I'm not doing any heavy modding past the following parts. Since this is my DD, not much is going on other than a few bolt ons. Such as: Cobb RAM Intake, Invidia Catted Downpipe, a CBE, a GrimmSpeed 3 port EBCS, a Wideband A/F ratio gauge and a boost gauge. The tuner told me that if I wanted the EBCS then I would pretty much need to do a protune.

Finally I don't plan to be constantly reflashing MAP's and adding parts or taking off parts. It will all be going on at once and not coming off again.

So with all of that, what are your thoughts on this situation? Input? Advice? As of now I am still leaning towards an open source, although the tuner doesn't seem to be too enthusiastic about it. He will still do it.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

Datalogging with Romraider:

Datalogging with Opensource (Romraider) captures far more data than the AP. You can also use other Opensource programs to read and clear DTC's as well as some other things.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Unless you are doing some die hard modding/tuning, the accessport should be the best route to go. It should also fetch a good price if/when you want to sell it and switch to opensource. $650 is standard sale price around the net but I will PM you a place to get it cheaper.
    '14 SWP STI

If your tuner is much more comfortable with the AP, it's just a question of whether you can afford it. I'd stick with what my tuner wants, personally.

If you're going to do all your modding in one bang, you can always sell the AP at some later point once you're sure the car is running well.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

Datalogging with Romraider:

Datalogging with Opensource (Romraider) captures far more data than the AP. You can also use other Opensource programs to read and clear DTC's as well as some other things.
    This is some awesome stuff, thank you!
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

He couldn't really sell the AP. In order to unmarry an AP you need to flash the vehicle back to the stock OEM map.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I personally have an 07 sti with similar mods. My original stage 2 setup consisted of an APS CAI 65mm, invidia v2 bellmouth DP into hks carbon ti exhaust protuned @ 19psi. 298WHP / 319 WTQ. Tuned by mike at GST Motorsports

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmmsti View Post
    He couldn't really sell the AP. In order to unmarry an AP you need to flash the vehicle back to the stock OEM map.
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    switch to opensource.
    '14 SWP STI