02 WRX COBB Stage 3
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 WRX COBB Stage 3 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Been a while since I posted on here but I'm looking at doing some engine upgrades soon here. I've been ...

02 WRX COBB Stage 3

Been a while since I posted on here but I'm looking at doing some engine upgrades soon here.

I've been poking around on Cobb's website and found that they have 'Stage 3' maps for some vehicles. (I know stages are stupid but for the sake of conversation I'm going to refer to this setup as 'stage 3')

So I've already got uppipe, downpipe, cat back, 08 sti intercooler, and Accessport 'stage 2' map. The notes say the stage 3 map requires the mods I've already listed (excluding the uppipe) and also require a vf39 turbo and 565cc injectors. I'm just wondering how the driving experience of my car will change overall. Lag, torque, top end, etc...

To add, I will be running the OTS stage 3 map but plan to get a protune if I'm not totally satisfied.

Who has taken this upgrade path before and can tell me how they liked the car before and after?!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You will gain a lot more power over the tiny TD04 stock turbo...a VF39 and injectors will get you up closer towards stock STI numbers (logical considering its a stock STI turbo, and STI sized injectors). You may lose some spool and your power band will shift a little to the right, but it won't be overly drastic. I think it'd be a good budget power upgrade considering you can get VF39s for $200 and those injectors for under $100.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would not suggest ever running an OTS map beyond stage two. If money is an issue, I would opt for a real stage two tune before considering upgrading the turbo.

Thanks for the reply that helps a lot. Would you recommend anything in particular to help reduce the increased lag associated with a larger turbo?

Like I said, I plan to get it protuned if I'm NOT satisfied with the OTS tune. Money isn't the real issue here - its just if the tune works and I'm happy with the gains I don't need that extra bit to drop a few hundy on.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Lag shouldn't be too bad. A good ELH with long, small diameter primaries could improve spool a little bit. e85 also helps reduce lag, but that's a whole other story..

I figured ELH would pop up after that question. I like my rumble too much to ditch the UEL. Someday if I do a serious build I'll do it but not today haha.

Sex, have you done some AP "dyno" sims with those upgrades? Curious of your numbers.

I have an '03 wrx and am also considering turbo upgrade. Also have AP and bone stock except for SPT intake installed so far. Bought catless up, high flo catted down with S*RS exhaust that resembles Cobb tail and will likely go with new turbo and larger TMIC.
    After my research, TD05 big16g or 18g with 565cc's is probably the route I am going, mainly for quicker spool.
    Is it worth doing a twin-scroll ELH exhaust manifold/turbo combo for quicker spool? Are benefits worth extra $$ for twin scroll? I would look at TD05 20g twin scroll if quicker or as quick as big16g single.
    "99% of it is what you make of it. So if your life sucks, YOU suck"-Suicidal Tendencies
    DirtTrackDigest.com-Your Dirt Motorsports connection!
    Proud member of The Bugeye Mafia #175
    & Sonic Yellow Fanatic Coalition #7
    See my Bugeye here

DirtModJunkie, Read this thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2349864. AP dynos are a joke.

From what I've heard ELH will improve spool time slightly, but you'll lose your rumble. Just depends on what you prefer. Personally a little less spool time isn't worth ditching the UEL. But that's just my preference.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.