Need Help! uppipe install

This is a discussion on Need Help! uppipe install within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Started the process of installing my up pipe in my 2004 wrx. Went to take off the downpipe and the ...

Need Help! uppipe install

Started the process of installing my up pipe in my 2004 wrx. Went to take off the downpipe and the bolts were weird looking. They weren't the right sizes. Now the three studs poking out of the turbo are pretty stripped out. Is there any recommendations as to what to do? Can these studs be replaced? This is all on the downpipe side.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The studs can definitely be replaced. If they are indeed stripped you need to drill them out or use vice grips (doubt you can get enough traction for that though). If you can thread a nut, use a second nut and snug it up against the first one. Then loosen the stud from the first nut. You could also re thread instead of drilling, but you would still need to replace the stud. Pb blaster will be your friend. Best of luck, dp bolts are never fun.

Are there any studs I can buy to replace them?
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Not sure, I have never had to replace them. I believe all wrxs use the same size. I would google the specs and then go to a hardware store. If you can get one out then take that with you. Also measure the stud clearances, you may be able to make one of a different length work. Or you can have the store cut it. Make sure you get new nuts too. Take out you up pipe before you go in case any other bolts strip.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    Are there any studs I can buy to replace them?
    Yes, you can replace the studs. OR, you can use bolts instead of studs. I'd opt for studs if it were me.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Yes, you can replace the studs. OR, you can use bolts instead of studs. I'd opt for studs if it were me.
    +1. Leaks are bad. Real real bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    I've done it before in a pinch and didn't have any leaks. If you think about it, it's really not THAT different as long as it's tight, but the torque specs are not the same.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I've done it before in a pinch and didn't have any leaks. If you think about it, it's really not THAT different as long as it's tight, but the torque specs are not the same.
    Indeed. Don't the studs also help hold the weight of the dp as opposed to providing clamping force? Also lots of vibration at that mating point. Those are the only reasons I can think there would be studs instead of bolts. Also, it's much easier to install that way...ie studs holding the dp in place for you. Damn engineers.

I Support ClubWRX
    Indeed. Don't the studs also help hold the weight of the dp as opposed to providing clamping force? Also lots of vibration at that mating point. Those are the only reasons I can think there would be studs instead of bolts. Also, it's much easier to install that way...ie studs holding the dp in place for you. Damn engineers.
    Honestly, it was because I had one stud missing so I'm pretty sure it's a lot better than using 3 bolts vice 3 studs. I have no idea what the engineers had in mind when designing these cars, but I hate them for it.

...I hate them for it.
    And if you work on your own car or are a mechanic they hate you back.

Talking about leaks are bad I also found out after I got it off that the previous owner that installed the downpipe didnt put a turbo/dp gasket on it so I had an exhaust leak at my turbo! This thing is going to run so much better when I get it back together. Studs were ordered and should be here like today. Rallysportdirect.com had them!
    ~2013 Honda Civic

Talking about leaks are bad I also found out after I got it off that the previous owner that installed the downpipe didnt put a turbo/dp gasket on it so I had an exhaust leak at my turbo

This thing is going to run so much better when I get it back together. Studs were ordered and should be here like today. Rallysportdirect.com had them!

This forum has saved my life and my wallet so many times! Thank God for the internet!
    ~2013 Honda Civic