Cobb Sf intake? (more specific than you think)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb Sf intake? (more specific than you think) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello ClubWrx. New Wrx owner coming from the Honda world, and this is my first "technical" "question" thread so please ...

Cobb Sf intake? (more specific than you think)

Hello ClubWrx. New Wrx owner coming from the Honda world, and this is my first "technical" "question" thread so please bear with me if I am not that knowledgeable in the Subaru world. Anyways...

I was wondering if it is worth adding the Cobb Sf Intake/box and Cobb post maf hose to what I already have.

2005 Wrx. Stock 2.0 block/heads, stock intake&exhaust manifolds, stock airbox with K&N, Perrin turbo-inlet hose, Samco intercooler hoses, Cobb catless uppipe, Cobb downpipe (w/ "cat"), Oem 05 Sti catback and Cobb stage 2 tune/flash. (still have the AccessPort).

The money is not a problem. I would absolutely not mind spending the $ on a brand new Cobb Sf intake w box and Cobb post maf hose, if they would be any way beneficial and in no way hindering the performance. Hell, even if the Cobb intake&post-maf only free'd up 1-5hp (while not hindering anything in anyway) I would still spend the money for just the looks, sound and the 1-??hp.

I would also consider the Cobb Xle bpv as long as it did not hinder anything in any negative way, based solely on sound and aesthetics.

Should I get the Cobb Sf intake&box and Cobb post maf hose?? Or would it hurt anything in anyway?
    Is the Cobb bpv bad in any way? I know there is really no need to "upgrade" the bpv, but if I wanted it for just aesthetics and sound, would it hurt anything in anyway?

Thanks ClubWrx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The Cobb Sf intake and box won't hurt anything as long as you get the correct tune loaded into your car. Do you have a way of logging data (like an accessport? I am assuming you do since you have a cobb map). This will give you a good whooshing sound. Although you might consider doing the snorkus removal, which would give you the sound too using the stock system. How to: Air Box Silencer Delete

If you get a BPV then you want a full recirculating BPV (Forge and Turbosmart are good ones). The WRX doesn't take well to an atmospheric BOV, due to the design of the system (releasing air that has already been metered by the mass airflow system). You year WRX has a good stock BPV, and should be fine for a while. "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^Pretty much it. Not gonna do much for performance at stage 2 power level.

Most people upgrade the BPV so they can run significantly higer boost. And the Intake will mostly be sound. I got my Cobb SF for the sound and for looks lol. I got a really good price on it. The stock intake is an incredibly good design I think you'll find out.

Mostly go for whichever intake "looks" best to you. I have the perrin and love it, for instance, but it doesnt run better or worse than the Cobb SF

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    Mostly go for whichever intake "looks" best to you. I have the perrin and love it, for instance, but it doesnt run better or worse than the Cobb SF
    False. There is a reason Cobb's tuning notes state to use specific intakes. So which ever tuning route he goes will dictate what intake he should use. Honestly, OP, your stock air box performs optimally until you're at the 350whp mark. I'd save your money.

You won't see much in the way of gains by adding it at only a Stage 2 level. The stock intake is actually not really restrictive at all.

But it will sound good (lot more whooshhhhhhh from the turbo spooling).

As for adding a BPV for sound? That doesn't really happen unless you add a BOV that vents to atmosphere. Anything recirculating will just be similar to what you have now. Check the link that 11BlackSTI posted.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I wouldn't follow this...some people think the Injen intake looks good, but it knowingly causes tons of issues in many cases, even with a tune.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I do have the Cobb accesport, as well as a hand full of other mods, as stated in my first post of this thread....

The only Bpv I was considering is the Cobb Xle, and I know there is no performance gain...

There is no tuning route to decide, as I already have a Cobb Ap....

According to Cobbs site, the stock airbox and Cobb Sf intake can use the same map (separate map for Aem and other intakes - or so it seems), so I should be able to keep my Cobb stg 2 map as is, right?

Did most of you guys read just the title? Lol

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post
    I do have the Cobb accesport, as well as a hand full of other mods, as stated in my first post of this thread....

The only Bpv I was considering is the Cobb Xle, and I know there is no performance gain...

According to Cobbs site, the stock airbox and Cobb Sf intake can use the same map (separate map for Aem and other intakes - or so it seems), so I should be able to keep my Cobb stg 2 map as is, right?

Did most of you guys read just the title? Lol
    We know you have an AP. We were just making some points in the discussion that all intakes are not created equal. If you want to spend the moneybux on a Cobb intake that's not really necessary at your level of modification, that's your decision. I don't really see the point in spending money on parts that gain nothing. If you're looking at an intake, I'd only go with what is in the Cobb notes.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eat05 View Post

Why do you end your sentences with periods...
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 01-08-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Why do you end your sentences with periods...
    Those are actually ellipses...

Hell didn't know I was coming into a thread of experts lol, but regardless, he's not at a high enough HP mark for an intake to restrict him, that's why I told him to go with what he liked.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hell didn't know I was coming into a thread of experts lol, but regardless, he's not at a high enough HP mark for an intake to restrict him, that's why I told him to go with what he liked.
    I don't think anyone here would claim to be an expert, but there are several guys that know their stuff from doing the research.

You said you have a 2.0L and want the sound. Have you considered doing the silencer delete? (assuming you haven't and that 05's have silencers) You will have your sound. The bpv (if it's a true bpv) won't make a dramatic difference. I am pulling my experiences from my 02 Wrx, which I did have the Cobb intake on. As was mentioned, you don't need it for power, but it sounds like you want it for looks and sound as much as power increase. I have the stock air box on my 2011 wrx protuned to 301awhp/340wtq on e85 and it's fine. You will not get anymore power from a stage 2 tune with the Cobb intake vs stock which is evident in the map notes for stage 2. If you want power and sound and money is not an object, get protuned. Get injectors, a bigger TMIC, fuel pump and boost controller and max the stock turbo. But hey that's my $0.02.
    Last edited by Miggs; 01-08-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Interesting fact....Perrin once told me that their original inlets were prone to collapse with the stock intake on high hp cars but worked fine with less restrictive aftermarket intakes. Yep I'm bored.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.