Mod noob needs help.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mod noob needs help. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Im new to the forum but I've recently bought an 07 WRX and don't know a good starting ...

Mod noob needs help.

Hey guys, Im new to the forum but I've recently bought an 07 WRX and don't know a good starting point on engine mods. The guy i bought it from upgraded the exhaust, intake, and suspension, but now that I've just gotten a bit of a pay raise i can afford to start doing modifications of my own.

Any tips, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    what kind of upgraded exhaust? catback?turboback?

if its a turboback, is there a tune?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Well this is the first performance vehicle I've owned so to be honest i don't know too much about upgrades, but i believe he said it was a cat back. The exhaust is Invidia, suspension and intake are Cobb.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
    Well this is the first performance vehicle I've owned so to be honest i don't know too much about upgrades, but i believe he said it was a cat back. The exhaust is Invidia, suspension and intake are Cobb.
    I would start by making sure the intake is properly tuned for. Then I would get a downpipe and go stage 2. Some good supporting mods would be upgraded brake pads, ss brake lines, and a fluid flush. Do you have good tires on there? That helps as well. Also, a good alignment goes a long way for handling.

He told me that its already got a stage 2 exhaust (which i assume is true since he spent all the money on the tune and access port as well). Im stationed in north west Louisiana and if you ask any other driver in the area they'll tell you the road quality is complete garbage, so Im not in much of a hurry to get new tires or upgrade brakes because they'll just diminish faster than they should any ways.

I would like to upgrade the performance aspects though. I just don't know a good place to start. Turbo? Front mount? Fuel injector?

You are at a point where other than safety upgrades like better brake pads and that sort of stuff, you need a plan.

You need a power goal, a horsepower number, based on your budget, and how far you are willing to go as far as changes to the car. You will want to pick a vendor that can supply all the parts and knows the products well.
    Also, you should consider the pros and cons of adding power to the car. Things will wear out faster. The more power you put into the engine, the harder it will be for everything else to keep up, at a certain point.

The best modification you can make to a car is it's driver. The longer you have it, the better you will get at driving it, and THAT is the most rewarding thing you can do to the car. Welcome to the club, and enjoy the ride!

I Support ClubWRX
    He told me that its already got a stage 2 exhaust (which i assume is true since he spent all the money on the tune and access port as well). Im stationed in north west Louisiana and if you ask any other driver in the area they'll tell you the road quality is complete garbage, so Im not in much of a hurry to get new tires or upgrade brakes because they'll just diminish faster than they should any ways.

I would like to upgrade the performance aspects though. I just don't know a good place to start. Turbo? Front mount? Fuel injector?
    Ok, so you have a full turboback exhaust. I would not downplay brake upgrades, they will save your life. At this point as mentioned, you need a goal in mind. Your next step would be to upgrade the fuel system and intercooler. However, that is highly dependent on the other modification you want to do. Are you going to upgrade the turbo...if so, rotated, or no. Big impact on FMIC or TMIC. Do you want to use E85? Again, big impact on fuel system. You will also want to figure that you will need forged internals depending on how far you want to go with the power. So I would say. What are you looking for...300whp, 400whp, more?

Id like to get a bigger turbo but i don't know enough about that system to know what else i need to upgrade in conjunction. Do i have to get a higher quality intercooler or intake components?

Id love to get as much hp as possible, but Im not in a rush to do so, so id like to make sure i do it right and not cut corners by getting too excited. To be completely honest, I want to upgrade it just for the fun of having a fast car. Id like to get the hp high enough to be able to drift for the fun of it, but i don't have any intention of building a gymkhana car.

Hopefully you know what i mean.

I am by all means a complete novice to turbo'd cars. I don't have any personal experience in details like fuel types, brands, or different motor configurations. I know i have a lot to learn, but Im hoping i can get my foot in the door here to find out where i should start.

I Support ClubWRX
    A short answer to your first question, if you upgrade your turbo, yes you should upgrade your intercooler. The intake depends on the turbo set up you get (rotated vs. stock position). Some good links to look at. The more research you do the better of you and your car will be.

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Fuel System 101 FAQ

Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC

Happy reading!

Sorry for the delay, but those are great links! I appreciate the hook up. Hopefully I can wrap my mind around all this and build up a plan to get maintenance underway.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You're saying a lot of contradictory things. Like you don't want to mess with the suspension and brakes right now, you say the roads are bad (so you will have even more need for better suspension and brakes). Then you say you want to focus on the performance aspects.. the top things you could do to improve your lap times on a race course (which I would consider a good measure of performance) would be to upgrade your brakes and tires.

You also say as much hp as possible, but that makes the car difficult and not fun to drive. As much hp as possible means you haul the car around on a trailer and drive it a 1/4 mile at a time.. but I doubt that's how you live your life.

If you want to drift the car for fun, then you got the wrong car. The WRX is AWD, and doesn't really drift like you're thinking. Plus, if you wanted to drift a car, then you need to focus on the suspension, and set a lot of money back to fix it every time you break something.

Sounds like you need to decide what it is you want to use the car for, and really define your budget to get it there. Without a real goal set in mind you're just aimlessly modding, then once you know what you really want to do you will find you have thrown away thousands of dollars on parts you don't want or need.

No I've already got an aftermaket suspension and the tires aren't any more than a year old so I can't honestly say that I think they need to be replaced. Brakes might be an acceptable starting point, but seeing as I don't have the power to overload the stock calipers and rotors, I would rather start with knowing how much power I'll have to stop.

I'm not the kind of car guy that knows exactly what he wants in his car. I'm just trying to go with the flow of things and mod whatever it is that I think should come next. I want to build a car that I love to own and one I can take pride in. I'm not building a car that only gets to drive on a strip.

I don't think you're understanding exactly what my goal is here, and you assume that I'm trying to race my car. That's not what I"m going for at all.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No I've already got an aftermaket suspension and the tires aren't any more than a year old so I can't honestly say that I think they need to be replaced. Brakes might be an acceptable starting point, but seeing as I don't have the power to overload the stock calipers and rotors, I would rather start with knowing how much power I'll have to stop.

I'm not the kind of car guy that knows exactly what he wants in his car. I'm just trying to go with the flow of things and mod whatever it is that I think should come next. I want to build a car that I love to own and one I can take pride in. I'm not building a car that only gets to drive on a strip.

I don't think you're understanding exactly what my goal is here, and you assume that I'm trying to race my car. That's not what I"m going for at all.
    You have to have a plan when modifying a vehicle. If you don't know what you want in your car, don't mod it.

/thread
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

And that's what I'm here to get an idea for. All the other cars I've had, I haven't had a job that paid enough money to afford car parts, so I'm pretty new to the game of modding. I have an idea of what I want my car to look like, but when it comes to performance, I don't really know where to start out so I was hoping to hear what some of you guys did for your first few upgrades.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast