Mod noob needs help. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mod noob needs help. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MainFrame You must be reading a different post than me.. Maybe, let's find out. Question: Originally Posted ...

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You must be reading a different post than me..
    Maybe, let's find out.

Question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottplageman View Post
    I [...] just recently bought my 05 wrx. I have simple mods done to my car like BOV, short ram, turbo back exhaust, lower springs. Should I chip it?
    Answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    :unamused: No.
    Does Drews' initial answer somehow conveys to you that he actually thinks Scott should remove all the modifications that were already on the car and keep it stock? That's a lot to read into a 2 letter word.

If proper English is to be applied. Drew simply told him that he should not 'chip' his car.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    He shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    He shouldn't.
    I guess all I have to say is. I agree with you:
    Do I need a tune??
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

This isn't a 1996 Cummins turbo diesel we're talking about here.. it's a Subaru. Every "chip" I've seen for 2000+ Subarus is a scam. Prodrive UK used to make alternative ECUs for 1st gen Subarus back in the 90s, that's about it (other than the TurboXS UniChip we used back in 02-03, but I'm fairly certain the last one of those fried itself back in 2005).

In otherwords, use correct terminology. Chipping is retarded. You don't add a chip. You don't solder a chip to an ECU. You don't buy a bag of Doritos and throw it at the engine.

You flash a new map. You tune for the mods on the car. Flash a map, rinse, and repeat. It's tuning. You fine TUNE the car's ECU to work properly, adequately, and effectively for the parts on the car, and the physical changes made, possibly adding more power.

So taking away from the proper English, or using correct terminology which doesn't make you sound like a Fast and Furious Boy Racer buying ebay parts, YES, you have to Tune for the mods that are on the car. If not, the potential for something blowing the hell up is VERY high in the end. BOV on there is pointless as well.

And no engine tuning can tune for springs...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Notice that I quoted 'chip'. Most people here knows the difference. Scott either doesn't know, or does and still calls tunes 'chips' (like a lot of people).

At the end of the day, it's all about how much you care about the members in your community. Maybe for you it's perfectly acceptable to simply answer 'No' when asked if one needs a 'chip', just because of semantics. For me it's not an option. Not with the repercussion that it could have in this specific situation.

Let alone the fact that it's not what Drews was aiming at at all.
    Last edited by Crazyced; 01-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
    Notice that I quoted 'chip'. Most people here knows the difference. Scott either doesn't know, or does and still calls tunes 'chips' (like a lot of people).

At the end of the day, it's all about how much you care about the members in your community. Maybe for you it's perfectly acceptable to simply answer 'No' when asked if one needs a 'chip', just because of semantics. For me it's not an option. Not with the repercussion that it could have in this specific situation.

Let alone the fact that it's not what Drews was aiming at at all.
    Please, sir, do tell what I was aiming at. wonka.jpg.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Please, sir, do tell what I was aiming at. wonka.jpg.
    My guess would be that it revolves around this:

100% serious. If you have no earthly idea of what you want your end goal to be, you shouldn't be modifying.
    But if you suddenly have new aims. Now would indeed be a very convenient time to reveal them.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your confusion knows no bounds, sir. Context, how does it work?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You don't buy a bag of Doritos and throw it at the engine.

Speak for yourself.

..and now I have a new meme to make

So on that note, people keep bringing up a COBB accessport.. Is that worth the $600 and what exactly does it do?

Im no pro, but it lets you reflash your ECU and shows real time stats for your car.

So basically, it's a waste of $600 or should I find one off eBay used?

I don't think its a waste at all. But if you can find a cheaper one, then by all means...

I Support ClubWRX
    If you buy a used one just make sure it's "unmarried" (un installed from the prior vehicle) or you won't be able to use it on your car without sending it into Cobb and having them do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast