Mod noob needs help. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mod noob needs help. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by BryGuy And that's what I'm here to get an idea for. All the other cars I've had, ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
    And that's what I'm here to get an idea for. All the other cars I've had, I haven't had a job that paid enough money to afford car parts, so I'm pretty new to the game of modding. I have an idea of what I want my car to look like, but when it comes to performance, I don't really know where to start out so I was hoping to hear what some of you guys did for your first few upgrades.
    There is an entire build section of the forum. Everything from simple stage 2 upgrades to high HP applications. You need to do a lot of reading before you start asking questions.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Best advice would be to drive the car and over time determine what you don't like about it and improve those areas...Unless of course you have a goal in mind of rallying, autocross, etc, then you can just start building right off to suit those needs.

In the meantime, read up those links I posted and then dig through the build threads on here and before you know it, you will have the things in mind you want to do. It is better to go about it this way and research way more ahead of time then mod, as opposed to doing one thing at a time and then finding out you didn't need something for your ultimate goal.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not the kind of car guy that knows exactly what he wants in his car. I'm just trying to go with the flow of things and mod whatever it is that I think should come next. I want to build a car that I love to own and one I can take pride in. I'm not building a car that only gets to drive on a strip.

I don't think you're understanding exactly what my goal is here, and you assume that I'm trying to race my car. That's not what I"m going for at all.

Okay.. well here's the deal. The more power your car makes, the less reliable it will be. The more parts you change on it, the less reliable it will be. Stage two is generally a good stopping point for people who just want to drive their car and have fun. Once you upgrade the turbo to get more power, you will have a weekend car, that will need work and money put into it on a regular basis just to keep it running.

So.. you want better performance, you want your car to be more powerful, etc. Do you have another car that you drive on a daily basis that can be used indefinitely when your WRX breaks down? Do you have disposable income to spend on mods, and continue putting money into the car to keep it running? Will you not mind unexpectedly having to spend $6000 or more having to replace engine/transmission when it breaks down?

If you answered yes to all of those questions, then my next question would be, how much money are you looking on spending to mod it in say, the next 12 months? And how much do you have set aside in a special "fix the car fund", so that you are able to fix it when needed? Answer those two questions for me and I'll tell you what your best options are.

Mainframe I completely understand what you're saying, but I'm not trying to go balls to the walls on my car. I don't intend to do any of this quickly so for at least a while, I'll still be driving what I would consider a daily driver, and unless conditions change and I buy another car, that will more than likely be where I stop.

Like I said before, I'm looking for a good STARTING POINT and I hoped you guys could provide some insight based on experience rather than me looking at cars around town and assuming I should mod the same way they did.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mainframe I completely understand what you're saying, but I'm not trying to go balls to the walls on my car. I don't intend to do any of this quickly so for at least a while, I'll still be driving what I would consider a daily driver, and unless conditions change and I buy another car, that will more than likely be where I stop.

Like I said before, I'm looking for a good STARTING POINT and I hoped you guys could provide some insight based on experience rather than me looking at cars around town and assuming I should mod the same way they did.
    If you don't want to mod like everyone else, swap an H6. Otherwise you'll be following in the footsteps every other person who has modified their WRX. If you want a good starting point, go stage 2, which we've told you.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I started driving legacys and just recently bought my 05 wrx. I have simple mods done to my car like BOV, short ram, turbo back exhaust, lower springs. I drive my car to and from work. I show it off on the weekends. I want my car to be on the highway, look over and blow the brakes off the ricer next to me. I have no idea where to start. I have a stock turbo, but i don't know what to upgrade to keep it balanced. Should I chip it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottplageman View Post
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I started driving legacys and just recently bought my 05 wrx. I have simple mods done to my car like BOV, short ram, turbo back exhaust, lower springs. I drive my car to and from work. I show it off on the weekends. I want my car to be on the highway, look over and blow the brakes off the ricer next to me. I have no idea where to start. I have a stock turbo, but i don't know what to upgrade to keep it balanced. Should I chip it?
    :unamused: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    :unamused: No.
    :NotSureIfSerious:

Quote Originally Posted by Scottplageman View Post
    @Scottplageman: If you have an 05' with an intake and a turbo back, get a reflash tune ASAP. DO NOT GO WOT WITHOUT IT.

I recently bought a stock 04' and literally fell on my ass when reading that it was usual for stock WRXs of those years to stay in closed loop multiple seconds after going going WOT, resulting in 14.7 AFR at full boost (13.5psi stock) till 5k rpm and multiple counts of knock. All that programed by Subaru engineers, presumably to pass some EPA regulations.

And that's bone stock! Now change the intake to screw up the inflexible MAF sensor readings and a TBE to further lean out the AFR and you have a recipe for disaster.

You talk about blowing the ricer's brakes off. Ironically the thing you'll be blowing at this pace is your engine.

Get a tune.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
    :NotSureIfSerious:
    100% serious. If you have no earthly idea of what you want your end goal to be, you shouldn't be modifying.

Read the rest of my post on why he should seriously consider a tune. Unless his plan for the car is for it to blow up.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    Read the rest of my post on why he should seriously consider a tune. Unless his plan for the car is for it to blow up.
    I don't think you read very well. I'm aware why he should seriously consider a tune. I don't think he should modify in the first place since he has no end goal.

The starting point (and good ending point) for any daily driven WRX/STi is a turbo back exhaust and a stage two tune, which you already have. You are already past the starting point for a reliable well performing daily driver.

There are a few things you can do to improve acceleration without further sacrificing reliability, but at this point the gains you see will be marginal at best compared to the amount of money you would need to spend. All of these mods will require a custom tune mind you, and a real tune will be your best bang for buck mod at this point anyways.

With a custom tune, your car would benefit from a better intercooler (Process West makes a good TMIC), 3-port EBCS, and equal length headers.. HOWEVER, other than the tune, you're not going to see much gains out of anything else because your turbo is so small. The bottleneck in your setup is the stock td04. Unfortunately upgrading it will compromise the reliability of your car, and that's not something I would exactly recommend for a daily driver.

That's MY insight based on 12 years experience modding Subarus.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I don't think you read very well.
    Not surprising since you don't seem to be thinking much. You flat out told an 05' WRX owner that already has an intake and TBE to not get a reflash. This literally goes against what everybody that knows anything about Subaru recommends. It's the kind of bad advice that can be very costly.

Recommending to someone that has no real plan to keep his stock car stock is commendable. This is not what you did however.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX
    Not surprising since you don't seem to be thinking much. You flat out told an 05' WRX owner that already has an intake and TBE to not get a reflash. This literally goes against what everybody that knows anything about Subaru recommends. It's the kind of bad advice that can be very costly.

Recommending to someone that has no real plan to keep his stock car stock is commendable. This is not what you did however.
    Comprehension fail. Go away Canada.

You must be reading a different post than me..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast