04 WRX exhaust question

This is a discussion on 04 WRX exhaust question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently added a 3 inch turbo back catless exhaust to my 04 WRX. DP, UP, cold air intake, and ...

04 WRX exhaust question

I recently added a 3 inch turbo back catless exhaust to my 04 WRX. DP, UP, cold air intake, and 4.5 inch tip. As stated no cat's and 3 inches from turbo to muffler. Car was then tuned, boost increased, timing advanced, and it was running like a champ at "full stage 2". At any rate EVERYONE complained about the noise. So I went to an exhaust shop and asked to get a different muffler (like a magnaflow) put on to quiet it up a bit. $290 later they cut my exhaust and welded on a muffler. Problem is although it is dramatically quieter I seem to feel a power loss. Last night I look at the muffler and realize a couple things.....

First it is NOT a magnaflow. Second although it is 3 in and 3 out it is only like 2.5 internally. I can see pretty much straight through the muffler but I swear I feel restriction.

Am I tripping or did I just make a mistake? I am going to swing by my tuner (Horizontal Motorsports) today during lunch to review but I have no desire to lose power, only lose sound. Would 3 inch internal vs 2.5 inch make that much of a difference? I am still running on the stock turbo and intercooler if that matters. But my question is should I go back and demand something with the 3 inch internal or am I just allowing my butt dyno to lead me astray?

The exhaust shop gave me 2 days to come back if not satisfied. If the performance is there then I am happy.....if it is not then I am not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A muffler makes minimal to no difference at Stage 2 power levels...the restriction is at the stock downpipe with the stock cats, which you have eliminated.

You're probably noticing that your car more than likely doesn't sound "as fast" now that it's much quieter.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Mufflers make little difference at that power level. You might see a 5hp or so difference between a stock muffler and performance muffler.

Mikie, I feel like my car is faster when it makes less noise at the same speed lol.

Seems you guys were right. My butt dyno had me tripping. Thank you guys very much. Can't wait to do the vf34 turbo, intercooler, and injectors....now to find the turbo

VF34 will be a very fun little turbo
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

That is what I hear. My goal with this car is 300 at the ground

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdslogic View Post
    That is what I hear. My goal with this car is 300 at the ground

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Definitely attainable...it will have to be pretty aggressive on the tune to get there.

I had a 03 bugeye for a while with an 18g turbo set up, i kept getting misfires on all 4 cylinders so i pulled the motor and swapped in a new EJ205 and went cobb stage 2 and got a good offer on the car and sold it.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernst Kraus View Post
    I had a 03 bugeye for a while with an 18g turbo set up, i kept getting misfires on all 4 cylinders so i pulled the motor and swapped in a new EJ205 and went cobb stage 2 and got a good offer on the car and sold it.
    You're a terrible person.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst Kraus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"