Racer X fmic vs Process West tmic? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

This is a discussion on Racer X fmic vs Process West tmic? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; stage 2+ map with the cobb ap is not safe enought for just the intake, DP & cattback?...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    11
    stage 2+ map with the cobb ap is not safe enought for just the intake, DP & cattback?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,544
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doinworqson View Post
    stage 2+ map with the cobb ap is not safe enought for just the intake, DP & cattback?

    Ohhhhh I missed that part. Yeah Cobb Stg 2 is fine for those
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  4. #18
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,691
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doinworqson View Post
    stage 2+ map with the cobb ap is not safe enought for just the intake, DP & cattback?

    Probably okay, but you should always log after flashing to make sure.

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    11
    okay good to know. and did not know about the whole logging thing. i flashed stg 1 and have not logged at all. no bueno.

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    11
    also i appreciate you guys take the time to answer these question.

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    From what I've seen, Racer X is a knock off brand, and it looks to have pretty poor core density. Though I have never personally had one in my hands, so I can't say for sure.


    I would expect the PW TMIC to outperform the Racer X FMIC in all areas, other than propensity to heat soak.

    We'll I do tip my hat to you because you clearly stated that you have never personally had one, so you can't say for sure. I've always run this mentality though, "If you haven't researched something and vaguely know a product, then don't pretend your assumptions will make a positive impact on the person you are supposedly trying to help"
    I swear I'm not trying to start a bickering war like on NASIOC lol, but I hope I'm in the same boat as the OP when I say I'd rather have someone not reply at all, or reply with something they have actually put some research into.

    Moving on to something more helpful for the OP...

    The concise argument goes like this: Most negatives people spew out about a FMIC are: (1)Too expensive, (2)not worth installing, (3)not worth removing bumper crash beam, (4)worried about turbo lag. I made these my research topics for a FMIC; 1,2, and 3 were each dispelled. #4 is the only thing that made me think twice, until I found out its not necessarily true because it can be tuned out, PLUS I believe you're more likely to gain HP on a FMIC than a TMIC, so would you even notice? Also, his FMIC kit has about 2 feet LESS of tubing than any of FMIC kit. Turbo lag, where?

    The RacerX kit is the ONLY reason I even considered a FMIC... You don't need to modify you engine compartment, you keep your OEM crash beam, and its actually CHEAPER than a TMIC.

    Process West undoubtedly has the best looking TMIC and arguably one of the best performing, highest flowing...TMIC. Although, a TMIC is very limited to the size it can be, and how well it can function, due to its location on TOP of the engine. From what I have concluded time and time again, spending $700+ on a TMIC that will yield negligible performance gains, and little heat soaking benefits, is pretty dumb IMO.

    Trust me, I'm in the same boat as you. I was waiting for Grimmspeed to come out with their 2008+ WRX TMIC, but I decided I can't wait until summer for the release, plus I realized how insane it is to spend $700ish on something that doesn't even constitute as an upgrade. I look at an aftermarket TMIC like I do my Forge BPV. It didn't create any performance (negligible if any), it just weeded out my plastic JDM parts that will crack under high boost.

    By the way, I understand heat soak does not affect most drivers, but if you are located in Texas, you will surely benefit from a FMIC as far as cooling efficacy goes. One more plus of the FMIC, should you ever want to upgrade your snail, the turbo applications, in regards to fitment for the RacerX, are nearly unlimited.

    Racer X IC Specs: 29'' x 9 x 2.5 (Hope this is helpful)

    By the way, did I mention there are 2 Subaru's (legacy GT and WRX) that have a record for the most HP on a stock turbo?
    Keep in mind these came out for the Legacy GT before it came out for our WRX. I would take their opinions over someone who has never USED one.

    Here are some other helpful reviews and forums discussing the RacerX FMIC. Is it just a coincidence these 2 cars with OEM turbo's have some of the fastest times out there? Doubt it, and as far as FMIC lag goes, the record WRX thread clearly shows this can be virtually gone one it's tuned by a reputable tuner.

    Record Legacy - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...mi-189657.html
    Record WRX - Another vf52 record - NASIOC
    A few reviews here - http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/tmic-fmic-31141/

    Racer X V.3 FMIC $650 shipped and new coating option!!!! - Page 10
    http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ri-134888.html
    Funny Mod from Nasioc bashing racerx fmic

    Read some reviews, decide what you want, and go from there. Good luck man!

    Famous words of Will Ferrell ~ "What happened? I blacked out."
    Last edited by wakeupandbord; 02-07-2014 at 12:45 PM.

  8. #22
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,898
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, but you won't get more HP from simply installing a FMIC.

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    FWIW, I've emailed the owner of RacerX multiple times this week with specific questions about his FMIC. He's gotten back to me every single day with every single question I've answered. I cannot say this about ANY other company, although COBB does come in close at 2nd place.

    From what I've seen in reviews, he warranties all his products for one year. I've even seen him send FREE parts to old customers when he has upgraded to a new version of his FMIC.

    What other companies do you know who have made 6 version of their TMIC? None probably, Bryan seems very dedicated, enough so to actually ASK his customers what he can improve on. And he does it!

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's on his 6th version!
    I know I'm pumped up and seem like his publicist, but I honestly haven't seen someone so dedicated to his work, and so willing to make customers happy. Who else sends their improved products to old customers, free of charge? Good luck answering that...

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Sorry, but you won't get more HP from simply installing a FMIC.
    I thought everyone knew that, sorry for any confusion. YOU WILL NEED A TUNE TO GET ANY HP OUT OF ANY PART YOU PUT ON YOUR CAR... NO MATTER WHAT.

    Btw, that is one of the few sports where I'm trying to throw my own opinion in there. That is why I said, "...I believe you're more likely... "

  11. #25
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,898
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeupandbord View Post
    FWIW, I've emailed the owner of RacerX multiple times this week with specific questions about his FMIC. He's gotten back to me every single day with every single question I've answered. I cannot say this about ANY other company, although COBB does come in close at 2nd place.

    From what I've seen in reviews, he warranties all his products for one year. I've even seen him send FREE parts to old customers when he has upgraded to a new version of his FMIC.

    What other companies do you know who have made 6 version of their TMIC? None probably, Bryan seems very dedicated, enough so to actually ASK his customers what he can improve on. And he does it!

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's on his 6th version!
    I know I'm pumped up and seem like his publicist, but I honestly haven't seen someone so dedicated to his work, and so willing to make customers happy. Who else sends their improved products to old customers, free of charge? Good luck answering that...
    I'd rather have the best to begin with than have upgraded parts sent to me. I am not saying that he is not good, because I don't know his parts, but you typically get what you pay for. PW and ETS are expensive because they have done the R&D. They are quality products. For the OP's question, he would be better suited with a quality TMIC, not a FMIC. That is all we are saying.

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    But none of us, including myself, have any actual evidence to make any claim as to how "quality" his products are. We certainly cannot make a claim a particular TMIC is the "best" to begin with, when a moderate quality FMIC could yield better efficacy and performance. We would need hard data to compare that, and it's just nonsense at this point. Fact: A FMIC works better than a TMIC, in terms of efficiency and performance, but at what fine line does a crappy quality FMIC compare to a superior TMIC? Nobody can answer that, or good luck trying.

    I'm just trying to give him all the data, throw in my opinion, and allow him to decide.

    And don't try to make it sound like its a good thing that Perrin, PW, ETS, AMR etc. (random examples) don't send FREE improvements. I certainly don't believe you're vain enough to be saying their products cannot be improved upon, that's just asinine.

  13. #27
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,898
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeupandbord View Post
    But none of us, including myself, have any actual evidence to make any claim as to how "quality" his products are. We certainly cannot make a claim a particular TMIC is the "best" to begin with, when a moderate quality FMIC could yield better efficacy and performance. We would need hard data to compare that, and it's just nonsense at this point. Fact: A FMIC works better than a TMIC, in terms of efficiency and performance, but at what fine line does a crappy quality FMIC compare to a superior TMIC? Nobody can answer that, or good luck trying.

    I'm just trying to give him all the data, throw in my opinion, and allow him to decide.

    And don't try to make it sound like its a good thing that Perrin, PW, ETS, AMR etc. (random examples) don't send FREE improvements. I certainly don't believe you're vain enough to be saying their products cannot be improved upon, that's just asinine.
    They are proven products with proven results. I am not vain. I understand that FMIC's have their place. Not on a stage 2 build though, which is what the point of this thread is. We have plenty of threads on FMIC and TMIC data. Look around.

  14. #28
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,188
    meh.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    They are proven products with proven results. I am not vain. I understand that FMIC's have their place. Not on a stage 2 build though, which is what the point of this thread is. We have plenty of threads on FMIC and TMIC data. Look around.
    Yes, proven products with proven results. 100+ buyers who are happy with RacerX kit, that sounds like proven to me. So what if he didnt sell 8 billion of them, you're still neglecting to consider it as a choice, which is obviously something more personal than actual reasoning.

    If you are implying the FMIC kit, which costs less than the TMIC, is not suitable for a stage 2 kit, then provide me with some reasoning please.
    Not, "it doesn't require it" or something to that affect. You say there's data, look around. Very helpful, thanks... Your not even telling me what this data conveys. Cool FMIC and TMIC data, but what are you telling me about it!? If you think somewhere these is some data comparing the PW to the RacerX then HEY you got something. But you don't...

    I'm not claiming he needs it, but he does need some sort of IC, and if he can spend less and potentially get a more useful system, then why not do it?

    I'm done here though, you've wasted my time by providing absolutely nothing to the conversation. No sources of info, nothing useful, strictly opinion, goodbye I've got better things to do. Let the damn kid decide what HE wants, not what you want. I'm trying to give him the overall concensus of how people felt about the Racerx FMIC kit, while providing him with places to read more about it.

    If you had something useful to say, you would have already chimed in with it. (subscription removed)

  16. #30
    zax
    zax is online now
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,395
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeupandbord View Post
    If you are implying the FMIC kit, which costs less than the TMIC, is not suitable for a stage 2 kit, then provide me with some reasoning please.
    Not, "it doesn't require it" or something to that affect. You say there's data, look around. Very helpful, thanks... Your not even telling me what this data conveys. Cool FMIC and TMIC data, but what are you telling me about it!? If you think somewhere these is some data comparing the PW to the RacerX then HEY you got something. But you don't...
    You're wrong.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •