2013 Wrx Engine Problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 Wrx Engine Problem within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Having a huge problem with my bolt on 2013 Wrx. Mods are stage 2 plus EWG and FMIC. Protuned and ...

2013 Wrx Engine Problem

Having a huge problem with my bolt on 2013 Wrx. Mods are stage 2 plus EWG and FMIC. Protuned and all that to 340whp and 360wtq. Im having a problem after doing a quick 3rd gear pull last night. Sounds to be a knock but I data logged a few minutes while it was making the sound and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Its so bad to where I don't want to even drive the car. Sounds like valves are slapping around in the engine. Check the oil with good oil level and still good oil. Im wondering if it could be my transmission or clutch because when I engage the clutch it seems to stop the noise. Its so loud it can be heard over the radio and just is scaring the crap out of me. Im wondering if anyone has had similar issues or anything closely related that might help. Ill link my datalog so you guys can take a look.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Im planning on taking it back up to my tuner and I already emailed him about the issue but hoping someone on here has had a similar issue that can shed some light into what it may be. Thanks and happy new year!
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Could be anything, but sounds like a crank bearing. Drain engine oil, see if there's metal bits in it. If no just pour back in and go on.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

What does it sound like at idle in neutral ????
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

If it stops when the clutch is in, it's probably the throw out bearing. If it was running fine and just suddenly happened, check your plugs, when iridium plugs detonate a few too many times they explode and pieces bounce around in the cylinder and it sounds JUST like a rod knock.

At idle in Neutral the sound is still there just not as loud. Gets louder when going about 20-30 mph. I talked to my tuner and sent him the log he said everything looks good and he's thinking it might be something with the trans. I just put new NGK one step colder plugs in Sept. The plugs only have about 1800 miles on them. Setting up and appointment to trailer it to my Tuners shop so he can diagnose the problem. Really hoping its the clutch that way I can jus upgrade it. Well see what he says tho.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by keff108 View Post
    At idle in Neutral the sound is still there just not as loud. Gets louder when going about 20-30 mph. I talked to my tuner and sent him the log he said everything looks good and he's thinking it might be something with the trans. I just put new NGK one step colder plugs in Sept. The plugs only have about 1800 miles on them. Setting up and appointment to trailer it to my Tuners shop so he can diagnose the problem. Really hoping its the clutch that way I can jus upgrade it. Well see what he says tho.
    Sounding more like a pilot bearing, except that would be more of a grind then a knock. Let us know what happens
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

It really sounds like a throw out bearing issue from your description, but one can never be sure with out inspecting the car in person. Can you list your mods on the car really nice numbers your getting from your rex also this is on pump gas?

Throw bearing noise occurs when the clutch is engaged not disengaged. OP says quiet when engaged.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Update: Found out today that I spun a bearing the the bottom end. Motor needs to be replaced or built. Not a very happy camper right now.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

not to be that guy, but you're at 340whp it was bound to happen eventually

Update: Found out today that I spun a bearing the the bottom end. Motor needs to be replaced or built. Not a very happy camper right now.
    Fuh....... what are your plans now?

Sorry to hear

How does the warranty look ????
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I know it was bound to happen sooner or later. Not sure on plans just yet my Mechanic said id be looking at between 7k to 10k for a full motor build. But my problem is that once I go with the built motor Ill need to build the trans which will be even more expensive. All this just isn't what I was expecting this soon. Ive only put 4k miles on it since getting a pro tune.

My other option which is looking retty good to me is to put the car back to completely stock. I mean every little thing and have it back to 100% stock. Take it in to the dealer and try to get my warranty work done. If I go through all that hassle tho I think I will probably just end up trading it in anyways and getting out of the car. Im not positive whats gonna happen yet tho so we shall play it by ear.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

What were your specific engine mods if u don't mind me asking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.