OPINIONS on what route to take next
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on OPINIONS on what route to take next within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just seeing what you guys have to say and what direction you would go if you were in my shoes. ...

OPINIONS on what route to take next

Just seeing what you guys have to say and what direction you would go if you were in my shoes. Im looking to see where to take my car to the next level. I am pretty happy where its at now but I would like to try to get to the 400whp spot. Currently I'm at 340whp with the following mods

2013 Wrx

Invidia Q300 catback
    Invidia Catless DP
    TurboXS intake
    NGK one step colder plugs
    Tial 38mm EWG
    Grimmspeed Up Pipe
    Fast Motorsports FMIC
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    Turbosmart Recirc Bypass
    DW65c Fuel pump

Lately I've been thinking about fueling. Thinking about the idea of running E85 or possibly setting up a water meth kit. Any advice or opinions are welcome. Im just not are what direction I should go. Any big power will require a built motor and big turbo. Im trying to get as much as I can out of the stock components until I need to go the route of built motor and big turbo.
    Last edited by keff108; 12-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There are only really a few things left for you to do if you don't want to upgrade turbos right now (both of which would be useful if you chose to down the road, so it wouldn't be "wasted money")...
    Fueling
    Breathing

For fuel, a pump and injectors. I really like the ID1000s. For a pump, you'll need to decide how big you plan to go, and purchase accordingly. With a stock turbo, I wouldn't worry about it too much (pump, E, or race gas), but if you get into much bigger turbos, you may need to rewire the fuel pump as well. You should be able to see some decent gains up top with the additional fuel when paired with your intake; you're currently fuel-limited, and the gains you see will be directly relative to the safety margin your current tune has built-in. For reference:
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC

I don't believe that the DAVCS is all that much of a factor in terms of power. Meaning, your SAVCS system would likely make similar gains. The better OE TMIC on the STI is negated by your FMIC.

For breathing, your only two real upgrades left would be an equal-length exhaust manifold and TGV-deletes.

If you plan to upgrade your turbo, my recommendation is to just go rotated from the start. You can screw around with stock-location turbos all you'd like, rotated is just better. By the time you sell the stock-location parts, there's almost a negligible cost increase for a better performing system.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Equal Length Header.

Aside from that.. how's your transmission holding up? I'm assuming you're near 400tq, and from what I've heard, that's enough to blow it up.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk.

If those are the only mods you've done so far, I'd say its time to look into things to make you stop better, and hold the road better.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    If those are the only mods you've done so far, I'd say its time to look into things to make you stop better, and hold the road better.
    RSD has OEM Brembos for ~$1500 a set. Would be worth it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stilletto
    RSD has OEM Brembos for ~$1500 a set. Would be worth it.

Actually, unless you're tracking the car (or driving like an asshat on public roadways), it really wouldn't. Brembos will do little/nothing to help you stop until you get into a situation where your current brake setup can't handle the stress.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Actually, unless you're tracking the car (or driving like an asshat on public roadways), it really wouldn't. Brembos will do little/nothing to help you stop until you get into a situation where your current brake setup can't handle the stress.
    Then stick with Suspension upgrades?

Thanks for all the responses. I forgot to mention that I have a DW65c fuel pump. I knew i was forgetting something just wasn't sure what. I currently am installing full Air Lift suspension on the car and will be doing sway bars. Im just looking into some more power to put down. I will def look into headers but how much of a gain could I expect from them?

EJ

Thank you for all the advice. What exactly are the TGV deletes? Ive seen the term thrown around a lot but Ive never actually looked into it. Like you suggested I plan to eventually go with a rotated big turbo setup. But that is a ways down the road.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by keff108
    Thanks for all the responses. I forgot to mention that I have a DW65c fuel pump. I knew i was forgetting something just wasn't sure what. I currently am installing full Air Lift suspension on the car and will be doing sway bars. Im just looking into some more power to put down. I will def look into headers but how much of a gain could I expect from them?

EJ

Thank you for all the advice. What exactly are the TGV deletes? Ive seen the term thrown around a lot but Ive never actually looked into it. Like you suggested I plan to eventually go with a rotated big turbo setup. But that is a ways down the road.
    You should see a good bit of power gains in the midrange from a set of headers. This car was also injector-limited, so gains towards redline are a bit skewed:
    NASIOC - View Single Post - TopSpeed Motorsports - **2011 STI** Invidia Race Header Tested!!

TGVs are what connect your engine to the intake manifold. There are butterfly valves in them. TGV deletes:
    ZEROLIFT - Subaru TGV Delete Risers - WRX / STI / LGT - $200 SHIPPED - NASIOC
    GS Tumble Generator Valve (TGV) Delete Service - GrimmSpeed

The benefit of going with a composite TGV is that you would gain the benefit of the ported/deleted TGVs without the additional cost of phenolic spacers.

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.