Torque for Timing Belt Pulleys
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Torque for Timing Belt Pulleys within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The Subaru manual says to snug the 10 mm allen head bolts, then turn them 1/4 turn. This is a ...

Torque for Timing Belt Pulleys

The Subaru manual says to snug the 10 mm allen head bolts, then turn them 1/4 turn. This is a lot of torque for a allen head bolt. Do these bolt need stretch to secure them. Sometime we round out the allen bolt when we install them but, worse, we round them out when trying to remove them.

Any suggestions? How do you do it?
    Walnut Creek, CA

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater Guy View Post
    The Subaru manual says to snug the 10 mm allen head bolts, then turn them 1/4 turn. This is a lot of torque for a allen head bolt. Do these bolt need stretch to secure them. Sometime we round out the allen bolt when we install them but, worse, we round them out when trying to remove them.

Any suggestions? How do you do it?
    What bolts? The pulleys are spec'ed to 39 Nm (28.9 ftlb) in the manual. Sorry I don't follow.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The manual says: "Tighten to 30 N-m (3.1 kgf-m, 22.1 ft-lb) of torque, and then tighten further by 45 degrees" That 45 degrees puts a lot of torque on that bolt! This is from a factory manual page ME(H4DOTC) -59
    Walnut Creek, CA

I Support ClubWRX
    I quoted the specs from "2002 IMPREZA SERVICE MANUAL" in the "ENGINE2 [sic] SECTION" with a part number (for the manual I suppose) on the lower right of the first page that says "G1830BE3" and on that manual on pg 59 it shows how to remove the cams themselves. I suspect we are looking at different books.

Are you installing the pulleys for the timing belt? If so, I torqued mine to the above specs. There was no mention of the 1/4 turn of which you speak. I went to 39 Nm (28.9 ftlbs) on all the idlers and also on the timing belt tensioner. My motor is the 2.0L turbo DOHC model from a 2002 WRX.

Also, you mentioned Allen sockets. The idlers and tensioner do not use Allens. On my motor they are regular bolts. It is the cam sprockets themselves that use a 10 mm Allen.

This thread has pictures that show the pulleys do not use Allens:
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

and this thread has pictures that show the cam sprockets do use Allens:
    Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?

I'm therefore unsure of which bolts you are concerned.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cam Sprocket Torque

These 4 bolts hold the 4 pulleys for the timing belt.
    The manual is "Subaru Complete Factory Repair Manual, 2009 IMPREZA WRX STI" it is on disc.
    What do you torque the pulleys to?

I have attached a photo of the page which shows the torque requirement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subaru Sprocket.jpg  
    Walnut Creek, CA

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater Guy View Post
    These 4 bolts hold the 4 pulleys for the timing belt.
    No. Those four bolts hold the camshaft sprockets. The pulleys for the timing belt are the rollers and the tensioner that you see on the front of the motor.

The manual is "Subaru Complete Factory Repair Manual, 2009 IMPREZA WRX STI" it is on disc.
    What do you torque the pulleys to?
    Your car and manual are both different to the car and manual I used. DISREGARD ANY/ALL torque specs I've quoted. You have a different motor!

I have attached a photo of the page which shows the torque requirement.
    I see it. I'm sorry to have confused you. Our motors are DIFFERENT!.

However, I see it says to add 45' to each bolt.

45 degrees is NOT 1/4 turn. A full turn is 360 degrees. Therefore 45 degrees is 1/8 turn. I read the instructions as "torque to spec then nudge it slightly" but that's just me. Regardless, I disagree with your initial statement about turning 1/4 turn. I would NOT do that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.