Modify a leased wrx

This is a discussion on Modify a leased wrx within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know this has been covered before, but with no definite answers. my lil brother just passed the 1k mile ...

Modify a leased wrx

I know this has been covered before, but with no definite answers. my lil brother just passed the 1k mile break in and wants to mod. I've argued that would constitute fraud but i was just wondering if anyone here has actual experience modding a lease. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My friend (an idiot) modified and sprayed a leased 2007 Sentra spec v. Somehow, he turned it in a few years later with no consequences. He was lucky.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    My friend (an idiot) modified and sprayed a leased 2007 Sentra spec v.
    Was it lovely?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

My friend (an idiot) modified and sprayed a leased 2007 Sentra spec v. Somehow, he turned it in a few years later with no consequences. He was lucky.
    By friend you mean partner?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    By "turned it in" do you mean kissed you tenderly?
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandDaddyBurp View Post
    I know this has been covered before, but with no definite answers. my lil brother just passed the 1k mile break in and wants to mod.
    Your brother wants to modify somebody else's car. When simplified, this makes zero sense.

I've argued that would constitute fraud
    It's probably vandalism.

but i was just wondering if anyone here has actual experience modding a lease. thanks.
    At best your brother will be out the money and time wasted modifying a car he does not own. At worst he will be out that, plus whatever the owner charges to fix the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

by sprayed do you mean squirted ?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I modified my car when it was leased but I ended up buying it anyway

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

point taken. Could you flash the ecu wit cobb AP then unflash as you hand it back?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup thats when you unmarry the accessport. For a lease I wouldnt mind bolt on upgrades. downpipe would be pushing it but again up to you. The parts can always be sold later. I wouldnt do anything like an HID retrofit or anything like that but some plasti dip wouldnt be a problem.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandDaddyBurp View Post
    point taken. Could you flash the ecu wit cobb AP then unflash as you hand it back?
    If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if this is wrong, but most dealerships, if they explore deep enough, can tell if the ECU has been flashed. (commaception)
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Say you modify the vehicle...

Something happens and you need to file a warranty claim. The service advisor denies the claim due to non-authentic part use, and you're now stuck paying for the entire bill out of pocket. It's bad enough if you have residual value in the car; with a lease, you do not, so you're dumping even more money into a vehicle that you do not own.

It's up to you, but you need to be aware of the consequences of the action. I would review the lease and determine what conditions you need to live up to, and what the ramifications for failure to comply would be. If it is not stated in the lease, contact the company that wrote the lease and ask them.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Not worth it for all the hassle, should of bought the car if he wanted to mod it.
    If you're upset over someone elses opinions then the issue isn't with the person giving the opinion but rather yourself for taking it personal.