Help with installing SPT catback
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help with installing SPT catback within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought a used SPT catback (sedan) from eBay. I've spent most of the day cleaning the thing up ...

Help with installing SPT catback

I recently bought a used SPT catback (sedan) from eBay. I've spent most of the day cleaning the thing up because the exhaust tips were black. I've purchased new gaskets (which only come as part of an $80 hardware kit from Subaru), nuts and bolts and some new hangers. In a previous life I used to be a tire and exhaust fitter... but I've forgotten most of it now. My question is, do I need to add any of that exhaust paste/sealant stuff around the gaskets? Or is adding a gasket and just bolting the pieces together sufficient?

Nick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Granted, ive never done a Subaru exhaust...but ive always done a dry fit with gaskets and never had an issue...

Use the gaskets dry and bolt her up tight. Enjoy the new sound.
    2014 WR Blue Pearl WRX Limited Sedan

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Make sure the gaskets and flanges are clean otherwise they won't seal well. I use the red stuff instead of gaskets because I may swap out fairly frequently and it's just cheaper that way, still makes a great seal.

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    The Permatex high temp gasket maker is phenominal. little bead on the lips, around the bolt holes and you are set. Stuff can be a PITA to get off after a while though....

Quote Originally Posted by 360glitch View Post
    Use the gaskets dry and bolt her up tight. Enjoy the new sound.
    This...enjoy it you will. We have it on one of our 03 Rex's and it's wonderful.

What besides the gaskets were in the $80 hardware kit? Did you also have to buy nuts, bolts and hangers or were they part of the kit?

It seems strange that anything more than gaskets should be required. Its also a rip off that you have to buy a kit just to get the gaskets. Did you check with the parts houses for the gaskets?
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2014 WRX 5 door base model
    2013 5/8ths scale Lotus 7 http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/sc...brary/Baby%207
    2011 Ram 1500
    2004 Caterham 7 SV http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm
    1992 Mazda Miata

I Support ClubWRX
    $80 seems a little high. The Donut gasket costs $25. So the rest was just for flat gaskets & bolts? The hangers really didnt have to be changed for new OEM hangers. I would have spent the money on aftermarket PU hangers.

I'd use some anti-seize on the bolts,but thats about all I'd use.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll try the dry fitment and hope there are no leaks. I was also thinking about just using some simple grease on the bolts.

The SPT exhaust uses the same nuts and bolts to hold the pieces together as the stock exhaust. It also uses the same hangers. I thought it would be a good idea to have new hardware and hangers, just incase I sheared a bolt or found the hangers were dry and cracking when I got under the car to start the installation. Yes, at 16,000 miles, probably completely unnecessary. I originally called the parts dept. at my local dealer and was told they had the correct gaskets in stock; a donut gasket for the cat - mid pipe section and 2 other gaskets for between the muffler boxes. When I went to pick these up, for the muffler connections, I was presented with 2 thin, diamond-shaped gaskets (the ones with extra holes for the bolts) that were the same size. I assured the parts guy that this was incorrect because the gaskets I removed were not only simple rings, but were different sizes. The parts guy said he had no other info for the SPT system so they must be the same as the stock system. Once again, I assure him it wasn't possible. So, I left and he made a call to Subaru. They told him the gaskets for the STP system were in fact different and were only available as part of the "hardware kit". $80. It includes the 3 gaskets and 4 sets of nuts and bolts to join the muffler boxes. That's it. So, I have the hardware kit, 3 of the 5 hangers I wanted because that was all they had in stock (they're just a precaution; I'm sure the ones on the car currently will be fine), and two sprung bolts for joining the mid pipe to the cat. $140 total. Ugh.

Here's a picture of the boxes after I'd spent hours cleaning up one of them:

The entire thing was covered in road tar and.... those tips(!?). This catback has apparently done 10,000 miles. My car has done 16,000 and I've never had the tips turn so black. I can only assume the previous owner's car was running too rich. I don't know whether the system comes with some kind of coating on the inside of the tips or whether the previous owner sprayed them with silver paint but, it looks like it's bubbled a bit. After removing the soot with liquid brush cleaner, the coating was bronze so it had to go. Wire wool job with lots of brush cleaner. I'd already tried Nevr-Dull metal polish and it just wasn't abrasive enough.

Anyway, it looks good now I'm done and I'm looking forward to attempting the install tomorrow. Thanks for your help everyone.

Thanks for the info.
    2014 Crazy Cart
    2014 WRX 5 door base model
    2013 5/8ths scale Lotus 7 http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/sc...brary/Baby%207
    2011 Ram 1500
    2004 Caterham 7 SV http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm
    1992 Mazda Miata

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Could be that the previous owner had a catless exhaust. Not sure if that would be the cause though.

Well, I got it installed... Um, it's quite loud. A little more than I was expecting, haha. It's surprisingly loud inside the car. We'll see if I get used to it, but for now, I feel a little conspicuous.

The dry install went fine and there don't appear to be any leaks. Thanks for all your input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I recently bought a used SPT catback (sedan) from eBay. I've spent most of the day cleaning the thing up because the exhaust tips were black. I've purchased new gaskets (which only come as part of an $80 hardware kit from Subaru), nuts and bolts and some new hangers. In a previous life I used to be a tire and exhaust fitter... but I've forgotten most of it now. My question is, do I need to add any of that exhaust paste/sealant stuff around the gaskets? Or is adding a gasket and just bolting the pieces together sufficient?

Nick.
    Have the part number for the hardware kit?

Quote Originally Posted by gsantosr View Post
    Have the part number for the hardware kit?
    My invoice says: D441SFG110.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    My invoice says: D441SFG110.
    Used this kit (D441SFG110) today to install a 2011 STi Sedan SPT Exhaust (confirmed application to 2011 STi Sedan SPT Exhaust with online Subaru parts retailer). For some reason the kit I got included 4 gaskets (instead of three), the donut gasket, two larger diameter round gaskets and one smaller diameter round gasket. Each larger diameter round gasket was about half the width of the small round gasket. I found the larger round gaskets were too thin to use only one where the center pipe meets the pipe that goes to the mufflers, so used both large round gaskets there. No leaks as of now, let's see how this holds up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.