JDM EJ205 into 03 USDM WRX??

This is a discussion on JDM EJ205 into 03 USDM WRX?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone! I have put a good amount of time in research about my issue here but still didn't find ...

JDM EJ205 into 03 USDM WRX??

Hi everyone! I have put a good amount of time in research about my issue here but still didn't find a solid answer.

I have 2003 WRX with all stock ej205. What happened was my turbo decided to go kaboom in the middle of a freeway. After I realized that it might of took out my internals I took the engine apart to see.
    Sure enough I had a hole in piston 4. Also looked like it had a cracked camshaft. Basically a full rebuild is needed, which would cost me no less than 2k. On the other hand I've seen some good JDM ej205 engines for about $1k.

Let's say a JDM engine will have AVCS - will I need extra wiring or JDM Ecu to work properly?Or will it work with my USDM Ecu? I've seen people say yes and no so I am kind of confused. I am not considering any big power upgrades, so far I just want to go stock and make sure everything will work like it should. And yes I want to be able to pass emissions. I am a student so my budget for this project is minimal. Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Your ECU does not have the hardware to run AVCS.. you would need new wiring AND a new ECU to make AVCS work (and the JDM ECU won't pass emissions). You're better off putting a USDM engine in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Your ECU does not have the hardware to run AVCS.. you would need new wiring AND a new ECU to make AVCS work (and the JDM ECU won't pass emissions). You're better off putting a USDM engine in your car.

Will it mess up my engine if I run it without AVCS on stock ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by elijah.botez View Post
    Will it mess up my engine if I run it without AVCS on stock ECU?
    I'm also looking at getting more info on this subject...

looking for info on the jdm motor myself having trouble locating a us motor and also can I use a 2.5 motor and if so what mods do I need and things to perform to work properly oh I got a 03 wrx 2.0 turbo

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are already a lot of threads on hybrid motors.. In fact, I'm running one myself.