Comments on my gameplan?

This is a discussion on Comments on my gameplan? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi again. I'm shopping around, looking for parts for my newly purchased 2004 WRX. Engine wise it currently has a ...

Question Comments on my gameplan?

Hi again. I'm shopping around, looking for parts for my newly purchased 2004 WRX. Engine wise it currently has a K&N drop in filter and some axleback muffler. That's it.

Now this is my dedicated winter car (I drive a fairly extensively modified NSRT-4 in the summer) so I would like to (at least try ) to keep it mostly stock. And after some research I realize that because of the MAF and the way the open loop is triggered, this WRX is much more finicky with bolt ones then the SRT ever was. That being said, I would like to not require a tune, despite the mods I would like to do to it (tell me if it's feasible).

1st thing, this car is great fun to drive. I finally have traction! My SRT will roast 3rd on the street. While itís great with slicks on the track, it can get old driving daily. Thatís why I got the WRX. The launch capabilities off the line is superb and I love it driving around town. However, while the drivetrain begs for low end torque, the turbo however, makes itself wait. I have noting till the 4k mark. This is, in my opinion, way too slow, especially for a TD-04. So I would like to improve spool, hopefully without requiring a tune. Hereís my 3 step plan:

-Gutted stock up-pipe (already sourced a local spare)
    -Samco scilicone Y-pipe kit
    -Manifold heat wrap (What brand?)

From what I understand, all 3 of these will improve spool up time to various degrees. So a couple of questions remain. Can I go ahead with these 3 things and not require a tune (by require I mean, it will lean out otherwise)? You you guys recommend using the Grimmspeed gasket even with a stock uppipe? Also, is heat wrap a decent replacement for the stock heat shields (will it prevent the plastic from melting)? Because the bolts on mine will probably have to be destroyed and Iím not sure if I want to deal with them again.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can get by without a tune.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have against getting a tune? Borrow a Openport/tactrix cable and get yourself a Stage 1 road tune.

Grimmspeed gaskets are great and about the same price as stock gaskets. But I never had any issues with stock gaskets either so I doubt it really matters. Just don't re-use your old ones.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A tune will vastly improve spool.. anything else? Not so much.

I Support ClubWRX
    The heat shield is IMO necessary. Find a way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by subypete View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you have against getting a tune? Borrow a Openport/tactrix cable and get yourself a Stage 1 road tune.
    Because as I see it, it would bring me to the next level in term of power upgrades and everything it involves. Tunes (as I can see) are pretty expensive themselves. Ether 650 for an AP or 150$ for an OBD-2 adapter then I would have to grab a canned tune from someone for a couple of hundred dollars(?). Plus if I do that I would really want to get a wideband to make sure the tune is working properly and keep an eye on it, which would require a new downpipe (I don't want to fab up the stocker). It just snowballs from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    A tune will vastly improve spool.. anything else? Not so much.
    Honestly, if the rumors that a gutted uppipe gives you 500rpm spool gain. I would be happy with that.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    When I gutted my uppipe there was more of a surge in power when the turbo spooled.. I suppose full boost 300-400 rpm earlier isn't an unreasonable expectation. BUT power delivery was horrible before tuning. A tune smooths out power delivery greatly, and vastly improves off boost power and drivability.

You could just have a professional tune it for you.. you don't have to buy anything for a stage one tune, other than the tuner's time.

Hell, you could even borrow a cable from someone and flash an OTS map for free.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Just gut the pipe, put it back the way you found it, and call it a day.

If you really want to leave it stock, why mod it?