To mod or not to mod? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on To mod or not to mod? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Justanothername So no exhaust upgrades for you? No axelback/catback/cai? A CAI is useless; the exhaust would have ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post
    So no exhaust upgrades for you? No axelback/catback/cai?
    A CAI is useless; the exhaust would have been interesting initially but the years went by, so no.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A CAI is useless; the exhaust would have been interesting initially but the years went by, so no.
    Really? I could understand not putting a CAI on a tC but what makes it useless for the wrx? No gains at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    Really? I could understand not putting a CAI on a tC but what makes it useless for the wrx? No gains at all?
    I know of no data that would show any aftermarket intake improves over the authentic intake in the most important role of the part: filtering air. Where there are no data there is no confidence.

Now, there are those that are more interested in minutiae, or less important things than clean air -- power is a frequent question.

For my model the authentic intake adequately supports bolt-on modifications.

For other models this (may) not be the case. Let's say for the sake of discussion that it isn't. There are two types of intakes for those other models then: those that require a new map, and those that do not.

I doubt an intake that does not require a new map would meaningfully alter power output, yet the primary concern -- reduced filtering -- would remain.

An intake that would require remapping would not interest me because I'd not flash a car just for an aftermarket intake. And again, the filtration problem would remain.

Intakes can't win with me -- until someone presents meaningful, reproducible, statistically significant data. A few hundred dyno pulls, double blind, with used oil analyses and repeated after some time had passed would be a start...
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I know of no data that would show any aftermarket intake improves over the authentic intake in the most important role of the part: filtering air. Where there are no data there is no confidence.

Now, there are those that are more interested in minutiae, or less important things than clean air -- power is a frequent question.

For other models this (may) not be the case. Let's say for the sake of discussion that it isn't. There are two types of intakes for those other models then: those that require a new map, and those that do not.

I doubt an intake that does not require a new map would meaningfully alter power output, yet the primary concern -- reduced filtering -- would remain.

An intake that would require remapping would not interest me because I'd not flash a car just for an aftermarket intake. And again, the filtration problem would remain.

Intakes can't win with me -- until someone presents meaningful, reproducible, statistically significant data. A few hundred dyno pulls, double blind, with used oil analyses and repeated after some time had passed would be a start...
    HowStuffWorks "Why should you install a cold air intake?"

I Support ClubWRX

To mod or not to mod?

Relevance? Did you read my last statement?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Problem with that article is that it doesn't account for the fact that the stock intake on 02-07 WRX/STi isn't restrictive at all on the stock turbo, and it also pulls air from outside the engine bay through the ram air snorkel. The fact that it already comes on the car (free), is easy to tune (free), and filters particulate matter better than an aftermarket intake makes it better than just about any other air intake you could run on a stock td04.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR

As an ECU calibrator, I'd actually be interested in seeing this type of results. I'd be curious to see what kind of data you can gather from UOAs and dyno plots of cars that are fitted with the OE airbox vs aftermarket intake systems. Every car takes ECU parameters differently, so it isn't a perfect test, but we could get an idea...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

First set of results: Anthony has an intake, I don't, my car is still faster

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX

To mod or not to mod?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    As an ECU calibrator, I'd actually be interested in seeing this type of results. I'd be curious to see what kind of data you can gather from UOAs and dyno plots of cars that are fitted with the OE airbox vs aftermarket intake systems. Every car takes ECU parameters differently, so it isn't a perfect test, but we could get an idea...
    It would be really interesting yes.

You know, it's unclear to me whether elevated Si levels in UOAs are because of more dirt, the oil used in some aftermarket filters, or both. I've sometimes been able to tell if someone has messed with the stock air box by their UOA (and asking them after seeing the data of course; I'm a stunningly good looking genius but not a psychic). The stock air box is really good -- people get single digit wear numbers if everything is in order.

For the later cars -- and you understand much better than me of course -- there are gains to be had as far as I can tell. For a bugeye though? Even if I were a modder I'd leave the intake stock.

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    First set of results: Anthony has an intake, I don't, my car is still faster
    Bingo! That's what I'm talking about. /thread!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123