Removing A/C... Horsepower gain?

This is a discussion on Removing A/C... Horsepower gain? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys quick question. My A/C belt snapped off. Car is still running fine without the belt. If I remove ...

Removing A/C... Horsepower gain?

Hey guys quick question. My A/C belt snapped off. Car is still running fine without the belt. If I remove the A/C unit will I have a power gain?
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No, since there is no loss to the engine now without the belt.

You could do a series of dyno pulls with the belt and without to figure out how much a functional A/C system "costs" in terms of power with the A/C off. Or you could just forget about it since you have a road car in NY and will need A/C both in summer and in winter (the A/C is used when "defrost" is selected whether you push the button on or not, to dehumidify the air).

I'd replace the belt with an authentic Subaru belt, having made sure there is no underlying reason to cause it to snap. All this IMO.

Note that the A/C is off when under full throttle, also independently of what the button is doing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Did not know it turned off when full throttle...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, WOT switches the A/C off.. and without the engine driving the belt there will be no difference in power, it's already as if the A/C isn't there.

The entire A/C system as a whole isn't light though, so removing everything A/C related should improve ALL performance aspects of the car to some degree.

Thanks guys. Im running a Perrin pulley. Anyone use this?
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic