2002 wrx misfire issue
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx misfire issue within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I have a 2002 WRX 5mt Cobb stage 2 with an eBay cat back, invidia Catless down pipe, a ...

2002 wrx misfire issue

Hey,
    I have a 2002 WRX 5mt Cobb stage 2 with an eBay cat back, invidia Catless down pipe, a mishimoto radiator, and just the stage 2 flash. I've been experiencing a misfire (or 2) but haven't been able to fix them due to being away at school and having no where to work on my car. So on the way home for break I began to have flashing Cel and scanned it and got misfires on cylinders 2 and 4. So I replaced the spark plugs (I don't know the last time they were changed) and the codes were still there. I pulled them out re gapped them and put them back in and now there's no fault codes in the ecu, however the flashing cel is still there. Any ideas? Is this common?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone?

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Do you have any suggestion for the fuel injector cleaner? I've heard mixed reviews about using those

Also today the codes came back, flashing is still there, but now there's misfires on all cylinders...any ideas? All four began to misfire at the same time which is why I'm confused

The probability of all four coil packs / spark plugs failing at the same time is very low... so I would look into fueling or vacuum issues. That being said, misfires are notoriously hard to diagnose without all the proper tools and knowledge. I spent months trying to diagnose my intermittent P0304. Would go away for weeks at a time, then come back... with no driveability issues. Finally figured out it was a spark issue after I swapped out coil packs and the code never came back.

If the have the knowledge, it's definitely possible to diagnose this yourself. Donkey's list is a FANTASTIC reference. Just start checking things off the list. If you don't have the time, take it to a good Subaru mechanic or reputable dealer. My 2 cents...
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Just re checked the codes I have
    P0301
    P0302
    P0304
    ?????
    ?????

Things done so far:
    New plugs
    MAF cleaned with CRC MAF Cleaner
    Just filled the tank with 93 octane shell vpower with Chevron Fuel injector cleaner

Also noticed that I have huge boost fluctuation (12-18psi bouncing at WOT) according to the AccessPort
    I have a semi large exhaust leak between the down pipe and cat back.

The fluctuation boost makes me think vac leak...could a vac leak cause misfires this bad?

Also the car can still hit full boost and drives fine, at idle there is a noticeable shaking due to it misfiring.

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerFerrara View Post

The fluctuation boost makes me think vac leak...could a vac leak cause misfires this bad?
    Yes as a vacuum leak would be post MAF. Look at the list again,do the simplest to hardest. Check/clean grounds,change fuel filter,clean cam and crank sensor faces.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Noticed some smoking from near the up pipe, not exhaust smoke more like something is melting/dripping on there...

Ooo you're burning oil somewhere!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by TylerFerrara View Post
    Noticed some smoking from near the up pipe, not exhaust smoke more like something is melting/dripping on there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ooo you're burning oil somewhere!!!
    I'd check around the valve cover gasket. If it's leaking, you can buy a kit to replace both sides along with the spark plug gaskets. Kind of a pain to get to though.

Sent via sorcery
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

I forgot that I had this video which shows the boost issues I was having before all four cylinders began to misfire, not sure if this helps diagnosis or not

I Support ClubWRX
    It does help. You already know you have an exhaust leak. I suspect you also have an intake leak somewhere and that you are losing metered air, maybe intermittently.

The oil is probably not directly related. A leak into a plug could cause a single misfire but not all 4.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It does help. You already know you have an exhaust leak. I suspect you also have an intake leak somewhere and that you are losing metered air, maybe intermittently.

The oil is probably not directly related. A leak into a plug could cause a single misfire but not all 4.
    Alright thanks, I'm currently away at school with limited tools (and time) so I'm working through that list as much as I can but I also want to here peoples opinions so I can hopefully save myself some time. Once I'm home I'm gonna try to get the exhaust leak taken care of and make a boost leak tester to try to find where else (if anywhere) it's leaking. So far I've done plugs, cleaned the ground cables, am currently running injector cleaner. Today I'm gonna try to pick up and put in a new fuel filter and also pull out the crank sensor and try to clean it off/replace it if it's dirty/damaged. Thanks again, definitely want to have this running right so I can play in the snow haha

2002 wrx misfire issue

This happened to me as well, I was jumping from misfires on 2/4 to just 2, to 1/2/4, and also had flashing cels on WOT and rough idle/startup. I used injector cleaner (Lukas and techron) and within two drive cycles the CEL went away, next day start up was crisp. Came back when I didn't use the treatment so I just upgraded my injectors and life has been prestine ever since. But definitely do a boost leak/compression test if you have the money for some reassurance, you can never be too sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.