Question About My Downpipe

This is a discussion on Question About My Downpipe within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've only had this car for about a month and a half now. When i bought it it only had ...

Question About My Downpipe

I've only had this car for about a month and a half now. When i bought it it only had exhaust. Everything else is stock. I bought it from a small dealer and he didn't know if it was turbo back or cat back exhaust. I wasnt worried until I've seen pictures of stock ones and they dont look like mine. Would you guys be able to tell me if mine is stock or not? maybe its just missing the heat shields. It also is rusted the same throughout the whole exhaust system which also raises some question. If it is aftermarket then I will be buying an AP soon!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	123458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	123466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	123474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	123482
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That's not OEM, it's the old HKS downpipe. Looks like it has a cat welded into it.

I have the exact same downpipe but traded it out for a bellmouth design.

Downpipe FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Aftermarket. It looks to be an HKS flat-plate downpipe, with an aftermarket cat welded in.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So this could be why im throwing a CEL for an O2 sensor huh? With the cat in there is this something that will need to be tuned soon?
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I'd make sure the CEL is indeed for the rear o2 sensor.

You'll need a tune for the downpipe yes, but if you have an 02-03 then you could get away with it, however you won't see any power gains without the tune.

Looks like I'll be getting an AP for Christmas! Lol. Well I was by definition according to Cobb Stage 2 and didnt even know it!
    ~2013 Honda Civic

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx
    Looks like I'll be getting an AP for Christmas! Lol. Well I was by definition according to Cobb Stage 2 and didnt even know it!
    I would strongly urge you replace the uppipe before increasing the boost in the ECU
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I would strongly urge you replace the uppipe before increasing the boost in the ECU
    Okay. quick question. If I buy an AP I can use the stage 2 tune that i download from their website. will having the aftermarket uppipe change how it will run? Should I get a MAP made that takes into account the aftermarket uppipe?
    ~2013 Honda Civic

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    Okay. quick question. If I buy an AP I can use the stage 2 tune that i download from their website. will having the aftermarket uppipe change how it will run? Should I get a MAP made that takes into account the aftermarket uppipe?

It will run better with the aftermarket uppipe, and it should be fine on the stage two tune, it is designed for use on cars with catless uppipes. I think they pretty much assume everyone with a 2L WRX has already replaced the uppipe for reliability reasons.. I know I do.

Regardless, it's always a good idea to data log after flashing to make sure your car has taken to the tune well.