2010 WRX has lost boost

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX has lost boost within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Good afternoon, This is my first entry so please correct me if I am doing something wrong. I have a ...

2010 WRX has lost boost

Good afternoon, This is my first entry so please correct me if I am doing something wrong. I have a 2010 stock wrx that I recently replaced the turbo with a vf52. I had a tuner on site to install my Access Port and write a new map. We made several pulls in 3rd gear from 2,500 rpm to 6,000 rpm as he modified the map. On our final pull, a rolling 1st gear, full throttle to 6,000 rpm, a distinct whining sound began and boost dropped to zero. The car still runs but upon acceleration, more whining and zero boost pressure. Boost was increased from 13.5lb to 16.5 lb during the tune.

I visually checked split hoses, loose clamps, obvious air leaks while the engine was at idle and found nothing. I pressure tested at the air intake in front of the turbo and sprayed with soapy water. No bubbles. I pressure tested the intercooler. No leaks. I pressure tested after the intercooler. No leaks. I have used the factory BPV and installed a new turboxs BPV without change. I have checked the factory boost gauge and it matches the psi from the compressor. I have re-installed the turbo, make sure of all connections and gaskets are in place.

Any suggestions? If it is something more complicated than I can handle, I do not want to take it to a shop until I have narrowed down the source to prevent the gouge that I can already feel coming.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Didn't the 2010s come with a vf52?

I believe so. I purchased mine from six star enterprises with slightly larger wheels/vanes for slightly more boost. I did not want to step up to a stage 2 set up at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZXNasty View Post
    Didn't the 2010s come with a vf52?
    Yep. They did.

You either still have a large boost leak somewhere, or your turbo is blown (seized, not spinning or something). Sounds like you should do some data logs, and check the coupler where the TMIC connects to the turbo. That's common source of failure. Positive the turbo inlet isn't torn? A lot of things you can't see the entire piece of it until it is completely removed.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by twice measured View Post
    I believe so. I purchased mine from six star enterprises with slightly larger wheels/vanes for slightly more boost. I did not want to step up to a stage 2 set up at this time.
    So wait...you did a turbo compressor wheel upgrade...but you didn't want to change the downpipe? Da fuq? :
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks for the shout back. I have removed the pipe from the exhaust side to inspect the wheel and shaft. It turns freely and I can see the supply side spinning as well. It looks to be in tact. As you will learn from my questions and answers, I do not know very much but that's why I'm here. What might be different when the car is being driven that would present a leak that might not be seen at idle or a static pressure test? It's ok to laugh out loud at these questions. Can I have a pressure leak at the injectors that would not show at idle or is that even possible? Can it be something in the map that would be corrected if I went back to the factory settings? As you can tell, My thoughts are a bit scattered as the frustration builds.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think so. IHI turbos are not rebuild-able. Sounds like you might have gotten scammed.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Forgive me. I'm old and have a daughter in college. This is my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I don't think so. IHI turbos are not rebuild-able. Sounds like you might have gotten scammed.
    Scammed? You're making me nervous. I used Six Star Speed in Annandale VA. Do you know anything about them?

A boost leak will only occur under positive manifold pressure (when the car is supposed to be building boost). Google online to figure out how to build a pressure tester (Zax has done it) and use compressed air from a compressor to introduce it into your engine. I don't know about a pressure leak at injectors, but I suspect that could happen if they aren't seated correctly. Did you remove/replace them at all that would cause this to happen?

I'd go back to stock, including the stock tune and see if the issue remains.

Seems like they have a very good rep actually.

six star speed - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    A boost leak will only occur under positive manifold pressure (when the car is supposed to be building boost). Google online to figure out how to build a pressure tester (Zax has done it) and use compressed air from a compressor to introduce it into your engine. I don't know about a pressure leak at injectors, but I suspect that could happen if they aren't seated correctly. Did you remove/replace them at all that would cause this to happen?

I'd go back to stock, including the stock tune and see if the issue remains.
    Thanks. I have used a pressure leak tester and can't seem to find the leak. I did nothing to the injectors and have avoided messing with anything not directly related to the turbo swap and air supply. I plan to reconnect everything and flash the factory map. Probably headed to a shop but I get nervous when I am not certain where the problem lies. It's a control thing.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm only operating off the fact that the VF series turbo is not rebuildable. Some companies have built MHI or Garrett components into IHI housings, so that may be what was done.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm only operating off the fact that the VF series turbo is not rebuildable. Some companies have built MHI or Garrett components into IHI housings, so that may be what was done.
    Yes, I believe that is what I have. It looks stock but the housing has been modified to accept the larger wheel.

Update on my problem. I spoke with the turbo re-builder and explained my situation. He sent a replacement. I had a local shop with a good reputation and expertise with turbos install it. If I had made an error originally, I did not want to duplicate my error. When the turbo I installed was removed and examined, it has a bent shaft. Newest turbo installed and slowly run up to 5 # of boost. Engine stopped and inspected. All was good. 8#, ok. 10#, failure. Suspecting the same problem.

Any ideas about what would cause a shaft to bend?