Questions about some mods suggested by R/T Tuning in Lansdale, PA

This is a discussion on Questions about some mods suggested by R/T Tuning in Lansdale, PA within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I stopped by R/T Tuning to talk about some parts I wanted to get and install on my vehicle. ...

Questions about some mods suggested by R/T Tuning in Lansdale, PA

So I stopped by R/T Tuning to talk about some parts I wanted to get and install on my vehicle. I told Will (the parts shop guy) that I wanted an intake, exhaust, and RBV/BOV/BPV. I'm mainly aiming for sound here.

My car is a DGM 2010 WRX STi Hatch, bone stock at the moment.

For the exhaust, I want something with a deep, low pitched rumble, and the burnt/rolled titanium look. He suggested the Invidia Q300. Link: Invidia USA.

For the intake, I'm not sure whether I want a cold air or short ram. I was reading some threads on here about CAI vs SRI, and it doesn't seem to matter drastically. And since I'm not trying to squeeze out max performance and mainly aim for looks/sound, I've narrowed it down to a few choices Will has at his warehouse.

First is the Cobb Short Ram Intake and box. With my research this one is louder than the other 2 I have lined up, but I don't just want volume; I want it to compliment the low pitched rumble of the exhaust. The problem I have with the Cobb is that it doesn't fit my color scheme. My car is DGM, and I want to go with a grey/red scheme. Since Cobb offers blue and black, it doesn't fit. I know I can get different filters and tubing or powder coat, but I feel it may not be worth it. Link: COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake and SF Airbox Kit

The other intake is the K&N Short Ram Intake. This one fits my color scheme, but I heard a few people say K&N is kind of crappy. Link: 69-8005TWR - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N

And lastly, there's the AEM Cold Air Intake. This also fits my scheme, and I know AEM is reputable. With all the ups and downs about CAI, I feel like it's not a huge risk and a consistent flow of cold air would be nice. However I don't really like the way short rams look in the engine bay better than cold airs. Link: 21-478WR - AEM , AEM Cold Air Intake System direct from AEM

For BOV/BPV/RBV, I was suggested the Cobb XLE BPV. It's adjustable, which is a huge plus. I'm trying to get that satisfying "psshh" sound, but I want it to flutter more than just a straight release. Link: Subaru XLE Bypass Valve

*Note: Links are for reference. Disregard price.

TL;DR - Looking for a DGM/red color scheme, and deep, low pitched rumble.

Looking for some input on these parts, and which will best suit what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Q300 is a great exhaust. There are many great exhausts out there though, so if you can, go and hear some in person to see what you like best. That is the best way to decide. If you go full turboback exhaust (which it looks like due to the link you provided), then it needs to be tuned. Make sure you get a high flow catted rather than catless unless you are planning on getting pro-tuned. This will need to be tuned (See below where I talk about the COBB AP). This would make you a stage 2 (with the tune).

The intakes you posted are both good (AEM and COBB), I am ignoring the K&N that you suggested. Of the two, I would probably go AEM intake, but COBB is very popular. Both can be easily tuned with the COBB AP, which you will want to do, so factor in the cost of buying a COBB AP. If you hear that the intake is safe to run un-tuned, then you are being lied to.

For a BPV, I would hold off and wait to see how you like the sound of the car with the exhaust/intake. You'll be surprised how much better it sounds, and the intake will provide a "whoosh" sound. If you do get a BPV, make sure it is fully recirculating. Atmospheric BOV's are not a good idea on these cars.

Just to add on to what 11black STi said, if you do decide to go with the Q300, you will get lots of drone. I am telling you this from what other people have told me who have been in hatches with the Q300. According to them, it gets really annoying. Lot of people buy it and then sell it, due to the drone.

For exhausts, lot of people here, especially with hatches, lean towards Nameless Exhaust with the muffler. If you do get without muffler, it will be really loud. Just as 11blackSTi said, its best to hear them in person.

And yes, if you want loud, go with the SRI as opposed to a CAI. SRIs are louder, just like you said.

Also, in terms of tuning, you don't need to go through Cobb to get your car tuned. There are alternatives, which I'm sure you know, to get your car tuned.

I actually live like 5 minutes from RT Tuning. You should get your alignment done there( if you are into handling and stuff). They are the best in our area in terms of suspension and what not.

I hope that helps man.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    I hope that helps man.
    Thanks, it did. I'm actually heading over there today (my girlfriend lives in lansdale). Think we could meet up at some point?

So I went with the Cobb SF Short Ram today. Bought it at R/T and installed it myself. Very very pleased with the results. It sounds like I have a BOV. Very satisfying 'whoosh' and 'pssssh' sounds. Also makes the engine sound more aggressive. Can't wait for the exhaust.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyP View Post
    So I went with the Cobb SF Short Ram today. Bought it at R/T and installed it myself. Very very pleased with the results. It sounds like I have a BOV. Very satisfying 'whoosh' and 'pssssh' sounds. Also makes the engine sound more aggressive. Can't wait for the exhaust.
    Did you flash the COBB sf intake stage 1 tune?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi
    Did you flash the COBB sf intake stage 1 tune?
    If the ECU has not been reflashed, you need to remove that intake immediately. The MAF sensor scaling on that intake is quite different than stock, and can cause catastrophic engine failure if not properly setup.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I did not flash the ECU and tune it. I read thoroughly about whether or not the Cobb SF intake will cause problems if run on the stock tune. I couldn't find any actual data supporting the fact that it would. I read several of Zax's posts regarding the subject and he is confident it would not cause any damage being run on stock tune, as he has also done it himself.

I drove the car with it for around 40miles after putting the intake in, and no issues. No check engine light, and the car ran just like it did before. To top that, I actually just competed in the Bucks County Road Rally with the car, which is 140miles long, and also no issues with the car.

I am aware that I am not getting the maximum performance out of the intake without a tune, and at the moment it is just a noisemaker, but that is fine. It really doesn't bother me much. I mainly bought it to make the car sound better anyway, which it does.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyP View Post
    I did not flash the ECU and tune it. I read thoroughly about whether or not the Cobb SF intake will cause problems if run on the stock tune. I couldn't find any actual data supporting the fact that it would. I read several of Zax's posts regarding the subject and he is confident it would not cause any damage being run on stock tune, as he has also done it himself.

I drove the car with it for around 40miles after putting the intake in, and no issues. No check engine light, and the car ran just like it did before. To top that, I actually just competed in the Bucks County Road Rally with the car, which is 140miles long, and also no issues with the car.

I am aware that I am not getting the maximum performance out of the intake without a tune, and at the moment it is just a noisemaker, but that is fine. It really doesn't bother me much. I mainly bought it to make the car sound better anyway, which it does.
    I'm sorry to tell you this and I am not trying to argue with you, honestly, I am just telling you to be helpful. I don't want to see your car ruined.

The intake needs to be tuned for. You might be lucky and be able to escape a disaster, but you need to tune for that intake. If you can't tune for it now then you should take it off. You can have the sound when you can tune for it. Like EJ257 said, the MAF sensor scaling is completely different on this intake than a stock intake. If you are referring to ZAX's information, he has a bugeye, and this information is not applicable to your generation WRX. The 3rd gens need to be tuned for these types of things. You can do as you please, as it is your car, but we are just trying to help you here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyP

The Cobb SRI doesn't have as drastic of MAF scaling changes on '02-'07 vehicles like it does on the '08+ vehicles:
    Intake FAQ

There's a graph in that thread of the MAF scalings for AEM/Cobb that Cobb uses on their OTS maps. You need to remove that intake until you've scaled the MAF to account for the additional airflow.

UNYSOC

I should be getting the accessport tomorrow. I'm aware of the car running lean and hitting lean spots, however it's been extremely mild and barely noticeable so it doesn't have me too worried. I've put about 500 miles on it since I installed the intake.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyP
    I should be getting the accessport tomorrow. I'm aware of the car running lean and hitting lean spots, however it's been extremely mild and barely noticeable so it doesn't have me too worried. I've put about 500 miles on it since I installed the intake.
    I'm glad you're installing an AP tomorrow.

The '08+ cars absolutely REQUIRE a retune for the Cobb intake. The stock tune alone has issues with AFRs being lean for the engine load you see at the onset of boost, so pair an intake that scales like a BigMAF unit on top of that, you're begging for catastrophic engine failure.

UNYSOC

Just got the accessport. I'm headed home now. As soon as I update the maps on the AP I'm going to flash the ECU with the tune from Cobbs site.

Just finished with my car. I installed the AP to my car, flashed the ECU with the Stage 1+SF 93 Map (Normal WG). I am so impressed with the results. I can't believe how much of a difference simply loading a different map made. The car runs incredibly smoother and faster it's like I just upgraded to a better car.

I'll start a new thread with my datalog later, but for now I'll post some quick results, recorded in S# using the dyno on the AP.

356.90 hp @ 4828 rpm
    410.99 tq @ 3366 rpm
    18.9psi @ 35xx rpm