no CEL. could it be my ecu?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on no CEL. could it be my ecu? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2004 Wrx, 115,500 Miles. Been Driving It Easy Cause I Haven't Looked At THe AccessPort To See How It'sTuNed For ...

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States

no CEL. could it be my ecu?

2004 Wrx, 115,500 Miles. Been Driving It Easy Cause I Haven't Looked At THe AccessPort To See How It'sTuNed For The Cobb Ram Intake Installed. IHaven't Had Time. Last Night I Went To Start It And It Struggled A BIt To Start. Thought Maybe My BatterY Or Alternator? No, Still Had A Strong SPin. Maybe My Starter? Possibly, BUt Wouldn't The Issue Be EveryTime The Car Starts, Not Intermittent? IAsk My Brother. ThrEw Out The Ideas Of InjectorS, But Wouldn't I Also Have Issues With The Car Running? Don't Know How He Came To That Thought, So Don't ASk. He Also Mentioned Ecu... Cried Inside WhenHe Said That, But It Would Make Sense, Wouldn't It? If It Isn't Tuned Properly, Could It Have That Much Impact On The Ignition Process? Could It Be That My Ecu is Failing Because Of The Tune? Very Likely. I Really Don't Like The Thought Of This, But Also Having No Dummy Lights On When The Car Is Running Makes Me WOnder Ass Well. Could It Be, And If So, What Am I Looking For The Unit Plus LaBor To Install A New Unit? I Already Know I Would Have To Send The AccessPort Back To Cobb Do They Could WIpe ItS Memory, And That's $250 Correct? Thoughts On All This?

Sorry About Typos And Caps At Every Word... Phone Does It From To Time And Won't Let Me Download Tapatalk....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    Could It Have That Much Impact On The Ignition Process? Could It Be That My Ecu is Failing Because Of The Tune?

Not possible, the tune is software, it cannot effect the hardware of the ECU in any way (other than bricking it if you unplug or otherwise interrupt the flashing process when you are changing maps). The tune does not change (unless you change it), so if it used to start good with the old map on the car, then the map is not the problem. In 11 years I have seen one case of the ECU seemingly randomly failing on a WRX, and that was because it had been submerged in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogdweeb View Post
    I Already Know I Would Have To Send The AccessPort Back To Cobb Do They Could WIpe ItS Memory, And That's $250 Correct?

I'm not really sure what you're talking about.. why would you have to send the AP to Cobb? If you want to use an AP on a different car, or ECU, then you simply unmarry it from the one it is on and install it on the new one. Takes about five minutes and doesn't cost a thing.

When you say it struggled to start, what do you mean? Does it not have enough power to turn the engine over? Or does it crank fine and just not fire up right away?

scratch the OP... new issue Coming home today from a highway ride and i hear a knocking... as soon as i get off the highway i pull off so i wasnt on the high way. shut the car off, call a mechanic, he asks to hear it and he says "from what he heard over the phone, didnt want to givew a definate answer without being there in person) it sounds like a knock similar to throwing a main bearing. Call to get it towed, mechanic says it sounds like its up top so hopefully a new valve job. Assuming its the worst, and i threw a main bearing, im taking a ball park of $3-4000 after machining... I was on the highway when it all started with no safe place to pull off until i got off. My question is, if needed, where can i find a crate motor? Not looking used, rebuilt or re manufactured. hell..id almost be tempted to put an STi engine in it and replace my gauge cluster.... In any event, thoughts on where to look? If I just need a valve job I can find them on any of the 1,000's stores online...

I Support ClubWRX
    Exclude the timing belt tensioner first.

If not then search for info on "hybrid" motors provided your heads are OK. The dealer can provide a 2,5L block. Whether the new block is "STi" or not would make zero difference to me.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't want a built/used/rebuilt motor then you're stuck paying a premium to buy it from Subaru directly.

What sorcery causes you to capitalize every first letter of a word?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

MainFrame, That Is Fine With Me. I Have Minimal Trust In Used Equipment If Its Been Sitting Or Has Been Touched By Hands I Don't Know/Trust Or Preferably My Own.

Sd... When You Say A "Hybrid" 2.5L Block, You Mean Just Replacing My 2.0L Block With A 2.5 While Keeping Everything Else?

Mikie, Its My Phone. Won't Let Me Download Tapatalk, And I Have No Time To Gerry On A Computer Recently Unless Its Absolutely Necessary. Sorry!

I Support ClubWRX
    Re:"hybrid" question, essentially yes, although you will need good heads, you will need to mind compression ratio, you will need fuel system components, and a map. More than I can list; if you go that route read every single thing about it first.

First if all exclude timing belt tensioner, it can sound terrible and misleading and clank!!! loud. The engine may be ok still (cross fingers).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Re:"hybrid" question, essentially yes, although you will need good heads, you will need to mind compression ratio, you will need fuel system components, and a map. More than I can list; if you go that route read every single thing about it first.

First if all exclude timing belt tensioner, it can sound terrible and misleading and clank!!! loud. The engine may be ok still (cross fingers).
    Tomorrow I'm gonna start digging through it all to check my tensioner...and pray like never before it is the tensioner.... if the tensioner is ok, im moving onto my valves and checking them all.... from there I guess im pulling it and checking my main bearings, crank, connecting rods, pistons, cylinders and i may as well check my rings while im in there.... Unless someone else chimes in with another thought about what it "could" be...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be hoping it's a "simple" tensioner also. You didn't mention, is the noise coming from the front of the motor? Has the car had its timing belt changed at 105K as is scheduled?

i Wasn't Paying Attention. At The Tim All I Knew Is It Isn't A Good Sound. Hopefully TomorrowI Can Start It For A Moment And Find Out, But I Don't Want To.... DeathlyAfraid Of Doing More Damage.

The Timing Belt Was Changed Just Recently. Didn't Realize Until iI Got Home That i Didn't Get That reReciept. Going To Have To Get It And Get The Mileage Off It...

I do have the right receipt.... didnt look over it fully. In any event, the belt was replaced 2,000 +/- miles ago back in May. As a shop, I would honor that the work my employee did could be at fault, and in the interest of future business I would at least look at it, if it was my employees work I would make it right... but how likely is it that this would be the case? I've never had an issue with the shop I use for any work I Cant do myself, but the belt was done a shop that I've never heard of, 40 minutes north of me.... Not touching anything until I get an answer from them, but I do have tips on a few yards around me that have low mileage 2004 wrx engines if everything falls through and it is in my better interest to just replace it....

SD, it is from the front of the engine to answer that question.

after starting it for 10 seconds in the garage, it smelled like its running rich too.... Could this be anything to do with it, or just coincidence and needs adjustment?

Just because you've never had problems at that shop doesnt mean they didnt do something wrong. There was a mechanic around where I live who has been a mechanic for 30+ years and for the first time ever didnt tighten the drain bolt on an oil pan to a car he was working on and the car came back with a blown motor because he didnt tighten one bolt correctly costing his shop $2500 to put a new motor in said car.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationaryÖ thatís what gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSemoWrx View Post
    Just because you've never had problems at that shop doesnt mean they didnt do something wrong. There was a mechanic around where I live who has been a mechanic for 30+ years and for the first time ever didnt tighten the drain bolt on an oil pan to a car he was working on and the car came back with a blown motor because he didnt tighten one bolt correctly costing his shop $2500 to put a new motor in said car.
    Maybe i worded it wrong... The shop the belt was done at is a shop I've never heard of. Wasnt sure how likely they would be to take a look at work they did 6 months back. The mechanic I would have used would gladly take a look at it.

I Support ClubWRX
    If the noise is from the front that sounds promising. It could be any of the many moving rollers or pulleys inside or outside the front cover, or the timing belt tensioner. The deeper under the cover you go the more money you've spent but it's all cheaper than a motor. Hope it's cheap and up front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast