So how much of a difference does this actually make?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on So how much of a difference does this actually make? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was hoping someone with first hand experience can tune in (punny right) on this subject or also someone who ...

I Support ClubWRX

So how much of a difference does this actually make?

I was hoping someone with first hand experience can tune in (punny right) on this subject or also someone who has read up on this. I was wondering how much of a difference tuning on 93 octane, as opposed to 87, actually makes. I'm not going to be doing any mods that require tuning for a little while now but this thought just crossed my mind the other day. And even some E85 faqs too. Shoot all of your knowledge my way, my brain is a sponge right now.
    Last edited by McBill; 11-20-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: i cants spells, and i cant brain either
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

do not put 87oct in your car.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    This

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    I was hoping someone with first hand experience can tune in (punny right) on this subject or also someone who has read up on this. I was wondering how much of a difference tuning on 93 octane, as opposed to 87, actually makes. I'm not going to be doing any mods that require tuning for a little while now but this thought just crossed my mind the other day. And even some E83 faqs too. Shoot all of your knowledge my way, my brain is a sponge right now.
    Agree...Don't put 87 octane in your car. 91 minimum. You can go a little more aggressive on a tune with 93 octane. Not crazy difference, but certainly more aggressive. E85 (I'm assuming you meant E85), you can go crazy agressive on the tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    huh, this is news to me... I'm completely stock right now. Can I get away with running 93 without a tune? The only car I've ever run 93 in is my built 84 z28. That was because I put a mild cam in it and some pistons that had a slightly higher compression ratio.

Carburated cars are so easy
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Agree...Don't put 87 octane in your car. 91 minimum. You can go a little more aggressive on a tune with 93 octane. Not crazy difference, but certainly more aggressive. E85 (I'm assuming you meant E85), you can go crazy agressive on the tune.
    yes, that's what I meant... my head can't brain today, battling a migrane since 10 this morning.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

the car requires 93oct.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Please read the manual
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

It also says it right when you open up your gas tank.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    It also says it right when you open up your gas tank.
    yep, just went out and looked for that. never noticed in the past... well I've only been running 87 in it for less than 2 months now, it could be worse I guess. Good thing I posted this thread though otherwise I would have never bothered to check...

I'm kinda pissed something like this passed over my head
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    The difference is about compression ratios and antiknock properties of the fuel. The higher the octane, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. The octane rating (i.e. 87, 89, 91, 93, etc.) is there as a guide to know what engines can run which octane. Stock WRXs are built to run on a minimum 91. 93 is optimal, but you can run 91 if you'd like without having any issues. Once you go below that, you more than likely will encounter problems with a number of things including engine reliability, efficiency, and knock. Not to mention engine failure.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    The difference is about compression ratios and antiknock properties of the fuel. The higher the octane, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. The octane rating (i.e. 87, 89, 91, 93, etc.) is there as a guide to know what engines can run which octane. Stock WRXs are built to run on a minimum 91. 93 is optimal, but you can run 91 if you'd like without having any issues. Once you go below that, you more than likely will encounter problems with a number of things including engine reliability, efficiency, and knock. Not to mention engine failure.
    thanks for the quick crash course on compression and fuel, also thanks for the advice. runnin down to an 8th of a thank this time and filling her up with 93
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Well.... now that all of that shenanigans is cleared up, how much of a difference does tuning on E85 make? as opposed to 93
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Well first off you will need to be tuned for it. So don't run to the station and put in E85

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Well.... now that all of that shenanigans is cleared up, how much of a difference does tuning on E85 make? as opposed to 93
    It makes a big difference. You can't just put it in the tank though. You need larger injectors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.