02 wrx preventative oil starvation?

This is a discussion on 02 wrx preventative oil starvation? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i have a 02 wrx with a cobb v2 flash making 250hp i believe so ive been told that ...

02 wrx preventative oil starvation?

so i have a 02 wrx with a cobb v2 flash making 250hp i believe so ive been told that if i want to race or just drive hard with out worrying about oil starvation thus blowing up the engine i shud get a ej257 oil pan, dipstick with killer b pick up and baffle my question is the sti baffle good enough or is it worth spending the extra money for a cosworth or killer b baffle? eventually i want to upgrade to more hp but it wont be for a while since that will take a lot of money that i dont have. i want to focus on making the car ready for amateur rally-x so safety, weight reduction, and eventually suspension. is there anything else i shud be concerned about regarding keeping the engine safe? i know about the 02 5mt failing under hard launches so ill just have to baby it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Pull the pan and see if your pickup has a problem. Replace it anyway since it's apart. With what, is your choice. Cheapest option is an identical pickup and costs go up from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

ok but i read that the stock pick ups tend to break under hard cornering/ acceleration so im going to go wit the killer b but wat about the baffle is the sti good enough for the occasional spirited driving and racing? or wud u advise going with a better baffle? also do i really need a new dipstick guide will the old guide not work? sorry if these are dumb questions but i just want to be sure wat i need and dont need.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The Sti baffle is perfectly fine. I personally ran that setup myself. The main issue is the factory wrx pan and the way it's shaped then the oil pickups tendency to crack over periods of time. It's not too common but it's a concern for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    How you drive doesn't really have anything to do with pickup failure, most people seem to believe it's the vibration of the engine that eventually causes the stock pickups to crack. The flat WRX pan definitely had a tendency to slosh from one side to the other, I have personal experience with that. As far as the baffle goes, if you're running an ej257 oil pan you will be fine with the ej257 baffle. I don't know if there's any evidence that the Killer B baffle performs any better.. but it only costs $70, which is comparatively nothing when you're talking about rallying a car.

If your 02 has over 60k miles I'd be willing to bet the struts are already worn out as it is.. and I wouldn't expect stock struts to last more than two or three rally sessions even if they were brand new.

yea i know i need to change the struts and springs since the owner before me put cobb lowering springs on there with the stock struts which im sure are original. step by step im trying to build it up i figure ill do the oil pan upgrade 1st then move to suspension. i also need to change out the sway bars/ links as well the car was set up for street and need to bring it back to rally. i got some work ahead of me.