TD04 IHI WG adjustment? 05 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on TD04 IHI WG adjustment? 05 WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been searching off and on for a few months for an answer but I might not be putting ...

Red face TD04 IHI WG adjustment? 05 WRX

I have been searching off and on for a few months for an answer but I might not be putting in the right search criteria due to my heavily limited knowledge on the subject so here I am.

I recently have gone through the process of updating my 05 WRX USDM to stage 2 (full non-catted exhaust, Cobb SF intake, TS BPV and just ordered a new Y-pipe kit. Tuned via the XPT stg2 map ). In the tuning instructions, I was told to adjust my WG actuator arm to attain 16.8psi boost. I have the TD04 IHI turbo which is non adjustable. I've read a lot of good write ups and such but only found one that barely mentioned the IHI being non-adjustable. So, I've been looking for new WG actuator arms and have found a couple but have no idea if they will work for my application.

Turbo Internal Wastegate Actuator Subaru Impreza WRX TD04L 13T 1 2 Bar | eBay

I've found cheap td04L turbos on ebay so do I have to go that route? Seems kinda like a waste to not be able to adjust the PSI on a turbo. Read up that it's not a good idea to against tune recommendations like using a mbc(I really don't want to get another tune).

This has plagued me for quite a while and any help would be greatly appreciated. This might be kind of a dummy question but I want to be thorough.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Where did you get the IHI td04? If it's not the OEM MHI td04l-13t then it's likely that you cannot safely run an OTS stage two map with that turbo anuways.. stage two maps are designed to be used with the stock turbo only. The compressor wheel on a td04l is a little smaller than a standard td04, and there are several varieties.

I would suspect you're going to need to just get it custom tuned, and the tuner should have no trouble increasing boost via the stock EBCS.

Well, I bought the car about 1.5 yrs ago and the history was kinda sketchy. Maybe the turbo isn't stock at all?

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no such thing as an IHI Td04. IHI uses "VF" nomanclature and MHI uses "Td04/Td05/Td06" nomanclature to designate there models. FYI-The stock turbo for a 05 WRX is a MHI Tdo4l-13T. Stock turbo for a 05 STI is a IHI VF39. Take a picture of the turbo.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, if you have an "IHI" embossed on the compressor housing, that's not the OEM turbo...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Cool thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply. Went out of town for eye surgery pre-op and my current phone is terrible for the internet.

Anywho, this being the wrong turbo might explain why the stock Y-pipe doesn't quite mate up to the turbo properly (falls about 1" short and leaks horribly). My guess is that the original up pipe did crap out and kill the turbo so a shop just put a cheapy mitsubishi turbo in there. I did notice that the uppipe that I removed was in very very clean condition.

When I removed the uppipe I ended up taking the turbo out and took pictures. Unfortunately, after I put the turbo back in and buttoned it all up, the pics came back terrible but my memory swears I read "td04 IHI" embossed in large letters surrounding the compressor housing face. I'm glad I got this figured out thanks to you guys! I ordered a used td04L on ebay for $160 (won a bid woot!) with ~60k miles on it. Pics look good and the descrip was really good so hopefully this will make my car a lot better. (MOAR POWAH?! maybe??? I hope...)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.